Help! Hydrolock!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
This is how I made it bend. ?

ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1446074083.304429.jpg

Nice knot. What did you tie on the other end?

WTG, 'Dude! A little thought, advice, ingenuity and brawn saves another day. I bet that first beer tasted great!

WTG, 'Dude! A little thought, advice, ingenuity and brawn saves another day. I bet that first beer tasted great!

It really did.

It did take lots of brawn. I'm not as brawny as I once was I found out.

I'm Jeff Foxworthy's brother by another mother so I understand completely. We shot a TV ad for the company I work for at home. My wife likes to point out the duct tape you can see under the counter holding a piece of trim up. I really need to fix that. Good job on the engine. Mistakes you can recover from are the best kind.

Larry's right about the Trident hose....sure beats beating yourself up. Maybe I'll go for some if I can ever get my exhaust hose off after the last time I had to torque it on with a railroad jack.

Greetings,
Minor aside...Mr. hh. What the dickens is a railroad jack? Never mind. Looked it up. Go figure...railroad jacks. NOT a lost day, I learned something.

All diesels with waterlift mufflers will lock if cranked and not started.

One solution is to close the sea cock, I prefer to install a hose and valve to the drain on the muffler.

Its required to winterize , should that ever be required.

Accidentally leaving the muffler drain open is no big deal , you will hear it and the bilge pump will easily keep up.
Far easier to close a valve than do 2 oil changes.

All diesels with waterlift mufflers will lock if cranked and not started.

One solution is to close the sea cock, I prefer to install a hose and valve to the drain on the muffler.

Its required to winterize , should that ever be required.

Accidentally leaving the muffler drain open is no big deal , you will hear it and the bilge pump will easily keep up.
Far easier to close a valve than do 2 oil changes.

Ok thanks.

I like the drain idea but don't want to have to go down there to try to install a drain. The muffler is in a bad place and I'm tired of contorting myself.

After removing and reinstalling the injectors I did close the engine seacock thinking I might have to crank for awhile, bleed lines, etc., but to my surprise it started right up. I figured those injector lines would have some air in them but I guess not. I think I read somewhere that this JH Yanmar was "self bleeding", however that works.

Ok thanks.

I like the drain idea but don't want to have to go down there to try to install a drain. The muffler is in a bad place and I'm tired of contorting myself.

After removing and reinstalling the injectors I did close the engine seacock thinking I might have to crank for awhile, bleed lines, etc., but to my surprise it started right up. I figured those injector lines would have some air in them but I guess not. I think I read somewhere that this JH Yanmar was "self bleeding", however that works.

Yes, Yanmars generally do not need bleeding. However it usually does take a bit of cranking. Glad everything is on the upswing. And your 75% redneck remark had me in stitches. I totally understand!!!!

CD,

I love this whole thread. Your boating adventures are amazing, and have spawned some great discussions, brainstorming and elegant 'redneck' solutions.

Pretty soon, you will have done so much with so little, that you will be qualified to do just about anything with nothing . . . . :thumb:

"I like the drain idea but don't want to have to go down there to try to install a drain. The muffler is in a bad place and I'm tired of contorting myself."

YES , but since you are hooking the drain to a hose , at least it can be led to a rational spot, you only have to install it Once!

Back
Top Bottom