Adding Freon to Vitrifrigo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BobH

Guru
Vessel Name
Encore
Vessel Make
Whitby 42
Have a Vitrifrigo fridge that seems to be running continuously. Does anybody know if you can add Freon? Name plate calls for 134A so that should not be a problem.

Thanks,

Bob

I saw this on an HVAC forum for what it's worth.

R-22 is a high pressure refrigerant and R-134a low pressure refrigerant. By charging a R-134a system with R-22 the compressor displacement changes causing high compression ratios, high discharge line temperatures. Compressor overheating and tripping on the overload. If not corrected the pump will fail.

The label states R-134A which is readily available. Although I still have about 20# of R-22 which I have no use for. I found a reference on the net about looking at how far there is frost on the evaporator. If the Freon is low part of the evaporator will not have frost and that is the case here. Now the main problem is getting the unit out and getting access to the charging ports.

That's a lot of R22. :eek: Our freezer and refrigerator compressors only take 4.5 oz. and 6.5 oz. each of 134a refrigerant respectively when fully charged. Have you talked to the manufacturer to see what they say?

The R-22 was for the A/C units on our sailboat. At the time that was the only way to buy it. I had a friend in the business so it wasn't too bad.

I charged my Tundra T80 I had purchased new after having it a few years- it never really cooled well. It's hit or miss- getting the prior charge if you in fact have a leak. A saddle tap would be how you could test/ add freon. There was no available info on the Tundra as it was considered a non servicable system.

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Does refrigerant disappear without a leak? If not, won`t the recharge follow the previous charge to freedom in the atmosphere in a short time?

Find the leak first. Mixing Mr Bubble with some glycerine to prolong the suds may work. If the space is well ventilated an electronic leak detector will sniff out micro leaks. Clean the condenser if needed. The evaporator frosting might indicate a loss of refrigerant, the expansion valve or orfice is Sized to provide the most effective cooling with a proper charge of refrigerant.

Hoping that there is a charging port. Won't know till I pull it out of the wall. I'm assuming a very small leak because it still cools but runs all the time.

Our Vitrofrigo cooled well but ran all the time also. Turned out to be failure of the computer type fan that pushes air thru the condensor. We were tipped off because it began making intermittent noises. Couldent replace it since its deeply buried...so I picked up a fan at a computer store and it matched up perfectly to mount on the opposite side of the condensor. The new fan now sucks air thru the condensor. Frigo works like new. Good luck,
-David

Just adding a random amount of refrigerant to see if that cures the problem doesn't seem like an efficient repair attempt. How about calling in a pro to diagnose and fix it?

You need to get the right pro. Some will take one look at a marine refrigerator and tell you to replace it. Others will put some refrigerant in and then when it doesn't work, then tell you to replace it.

You need someone who knows what he is doing (and is honest) who will fix the leak first. Just adding refrigerant until the gauge pressure is "right" usually won't work and unless the leak is fixed.....

After the leak is fixed you have to exhaust all of the existing refrigerant and then refill with a measured quantity as specified by the manufacturer.

David

...After the leak is fixed you have to exhaust all of the existing refrigerant and then refill with a measured quantity as specified by the manufacturer.

David

Our Danfoss BD35 refrigeration system takes 6.5 oz. of r134a refrigerant and our freezer takes 4.5 oz. as per the system(s) specification. That's not very much.

R134 is a blended refrigerant and you can not " top it off" . You MUST find the leak ,repair, evacuate the system then recharge to the correct amount. This is done with a dial a charge and it weighs in the charge. Clean the condenser,check air flow ,and call a certified text,so you don't but a new one.

Guys, the possible leak relates to the OP BobH`s posts of October 2015. The new poster, petdoc4u, had a failed fan. I`m guessing/hoping Bob sorted his problem over the last 11 months.

"Have a Vitrifrigo fridge that seems to be running continuously."

This might not be a problem IF the unit is at proper temperatures.

Many modern computer fridges will Learn to operate longer and slower as this uses the least amount of juice.

Some also have a brain that detects charging voltages and speeds up the unit to get the "free energy" when the engine is on.

Perhaps your battery charger is outputting high enough to enable this Feature?

Are the temperatures OK?

Do not add refrigerant.This would be the last option. You need to check many other things first , electrical connections, condenser cooling , dust on the fins causes all sorts of trouble . These small cap tube systems are critically charged any messy with that and it will impact the units efficiency not to mention the risk of introducing dirt and moisture with the new refrigerant.

Regards

Problem was fixed about a year ago. I evacuated the system and added the specified amount of R134. Been working fine ever since.

Bob

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom