Magazine Suggestions Needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yep, I sure understand that desire to shed "stuff," including mail and magazines. I am pretty firm now about throwing out magazines eventually. When I was younger I'd buy those shelf-box things for my collection of Fine Woodworking and put them in neat chronological order. What a waste of time and money.

I might be risking thread drift here, but sometimes I think it's a generational thing, a reaction to the huge generational transfer of assets and "stuff." The tyranny of stuff. I remember when my grandmother died whom I loved deeply, one of my aunts offered me Gram's huge red velvet Victorian couch. I appreciated the offer, but what the heck would I do with that? My mother was an avid stamp collector all her life. Now she's trying to find somebody who wants it. More and more often lately I ask myself, "Is this something I want to carry around with me the rest of my life?" Most of the time the answer is no, and out it goes. We still get those paper magazines for now, but no piles, no collections, no stacks.
)

I once had years and years of Reader's Digest Condensed books. Two bookshelves of books I never opened. My father also collected stamps and coins partly for me to do when young, but it bored me too much. So, it was the kind of stuff kids collect cheap. The coin books. The first editions of stamps. All together of very little value.

The only books we keep now are things not available electronically or collectibles. I guess we've just fully embraced the digital generation. Now the kids today will never know anything different. In some ways it's like electronic vs. paper charts.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom