Cutting hose-ends square

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Arctic Traveller wrote:

RT Firefly wrote:

Hiya,
P/F.* One of the reasons Mr. Shoalwaters lines up his screw heads, uses the proper sized clamps*and tidies up his work is*a concept called PRIDE OF WORKMANSHIP.* Doing a half-assed job isn't in MY maintenance program either.* Well done Mr. Shoalwaters.
And another thing.* If I was in the market for a particular boat, and found two similar, all other things being equal, the one with lined up screw heads, proper sized clamps and bolts and a clean engine room would make me believe that boat has received better maintenance.* Which one do you think I would buy?* It's the reason I keep my engine room immaculate, my maintenance records complete, and my manuals up to date.* Better resale value...............Arctic Traveller

My engine room is carpeted, has florescence lighting, belts hung in a roll, hoses stowed, heated 65+ degree, bone dry,*easy access with a full set of tools including an air compressor.***As for records I also keep files and maintenance records date back to the day we bought her.* However the edges of the hoses may not be perfectly square. Square but not perfectly sqaure.***
hmm.gif

Forkliftt wrote:

Capn' Jeff,
It's been 7 1/2 hours. How far away is the Radio Shack?
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

Not in stock at my local Radio Shack, so I need to keep looking, but if they work, I'll be getting several pairs.........................Arctic Traveller

Capt Jeff:

We need to compare DeFever ERs for appearance and neatness. I suggest a bottle of our favorite whiskey.**Phil, you can maybe be the judge!

pRS1-6980439t98.jpg
Capn' Jeff
The pair I owned (misplaced) was an earlier version of these I believe. Mine had a solid red handle and did not have the springs to open it up. I am going to grab a new pair in the next few days.
$5.99
4.5" mini diagonal cutters, In Store only.
My pair would cut tie wraps flush and not leave a sharp protrusion- these look to be the same.

sunchaser wrote:

Capt Jeff:

We need to compare DeFever ERs for appearance and neatness. I suggest a bottle of our favorite whiskey.**Phil, you can maybe be the judge!

I'd be happy to, but I think the winner should share the prize.* So, Phill, can you travel to Ketchikan to judge mine?. Failing that, I guess I could take some photos, but it's not the same...........Arctic Traveller

Weeeelllll...I have to be in Seattle in May...anybody wanna give me a ride to Ketchican?

Jeff:i

Hopefully we can connect on the 23rd in Seattle*to hash out the details of this DeFever ER*off.

Dremel tool with fiber-reinforced cutoff wheel. Square enough.

sunchaser wrote:

Jeff:i

Hopefully we can connect on the 23rd in Seattle*to hash out the details of this DeFever ER*off.

Look forward to seeing you, bring engine room photos..............................Arctic Traveller

OK, can we put an end to this? I can cut any size hose with almost anything, square enough to satisfy me and anyone with severe obsessive compulsive disorder.

I don't know where to buy it, but the neat tool of the month is a cutter that tightens your zap straps before snipping the end off, leaving a square end. I have seen it on a friend's boat and I'll pick one up if I ever see it in a store.

I would like the one for the small tie wraps. Several years ago I assisted in running new duct work in our attic and the tech gave me an old tie wrap tightening tool that tightens and cuts the large white ductwork tiewraps we were using. Very heavy duty. We service a couple of AC/ plumbing supply companies and I see the same tool offered there for sale.
We stock the large 24" white TW's on service vans. I LOVE them- use them for everything.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom