Hot water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Good question Larry. From RickB's link it looks to me as though 240 VAC goes to both elements. I think you were suggesting possibly the the upper/ lower elements may each be only 120 VAC?
We run our genset almost always. NL 8Kw, I wonder if it has a 240 VAC tap?

John.Greetings.

If I were to say that a water heater are a time bomb, i could be *>>>>

I would not recommend setting any water heater *house / boat above 120 degrees which can be / should *measured by a candy thermometer at the faucet, this should be done often.

John ,I have heard *of duel *shower faucets *fail to the point where you can get boiling hot water one minute and cold the next.

The Heater Temperature / pressure relief valves can and do *fail,we pipe our house vent ours out side. meaning when the blow it is like a volcano going off.

The temperature thermostats can fail and not trip out/off at their prescribed settings.

We know of two homes here where the water heater have exploded and gone up *through the roof as the bottom of heaters jackets can and do rust out.

Respectfully
Donald
Mainship Mega yacht.

-- Edited by SOMERS on Thursday 27th of January 2011 09:56:11 AM

Any boat that uses engine coolant to heat domestic water WILL have coolant temperature water at the sink.

None of the input restrictions in the heater are 100% , so in time about 180F is normal..

The only solution is a tempering valve setup OTS at the chandlers.

I love the 160 (or so) degree water in our 20 gallon tank following a day's run*- it allows many showers. A tempering valve as FF mentions is not a bad idea, but my faucet handles work just fine. I will leave the nanny temperature *discussions for our shore side systems.

I will leave the nanny temperature discussions for our shore side systems.

Beware of young children, Scalding is "forever".

FF Yes nanny. You forgot to mention the real kid issues on a boat

Slips
Trips
Falls
Drowning
Lost*at sea
Fire
Moving machinery
Sea sickness
Neck in window blind cords (Hunter sent me a notice on this)
Burns related to cooking ( a friends 2 year old pulled the fry grease over on herself)
Putting more than placard weight on boat

On our boat, 9 is the minimum age for multi day traveling with Grandparents for girls and 11 for boys. Scalding at the water tap is not an issue for us. Scalding at the stove is.

"Scalding at the stove is."

Power or sail this problem exists and for some reason boat assembelers refuse to help.

A fore and aft mounted range tosses pots off where 50% will hit the hull, 50% will scald the cook.

Simple solution is to mount the stove athwartships (that's side to side usually up against a bulkhead ) where there is less chance of scalding.

But the NA has to care more about people than layout .

-- Edited by FF on Saturday 5th of February 2011 06:26:02 AM

FF wrote:

I will leave the nanny temperature discussions for our shore side systems.

Some folks don't realize how hot the hot wated can be on a boat until they stick their hand in it.* By posting this information, some folks will be warned and stay safe.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom