Bought our first trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

questionmark

I just experienced that feeling in the pit of the stomach that accompanies signing a check of unusual size. We should close on Friday. The survey went well, the mechanical survey went very well, and here we are... first time big powerboat owners.

She's a 1979 37' (docs say 36') C&L "Sea Ranger" Europa with a single Isuzu. We've looked at boats from Comox to San Pedro, and this one was hands down our favorite.
IMG_6502.jpg
Hopefully the weather will cooperate for a quick trip out to the Channel Islands next week to break her in properly.

Congrats. More pics please!

Nice boat . Congratulations . Like the Europa style .

Nice looking boat! Congrats!

Looks like you got a deal. ?

Last edited:
Well done!

Congratulations on the new trawler, and may you enjoy many relaxing and peaceful hours with her (and a few interesting episodes every now and then just to add some spice to life.) :)

Nice catch. Keep everyone updated with your travels.

Nice boat . Congratulations . Like the Europa style .

The Europa style fits. My wife liked the single level cockpit/salon layout of a sportfisher, I like the TT style, so it was a great compromise. Coming from a sailing background, this one handles like a really wide sailboat. It even has a monster keel down the centerline to make me feel at home.

I'll have to get used to a wheel again. I've been sailing a 28,000 lbs. boat with a tiller lately. This one has hydraulic steering. My first thoughts on taking the wheel for the first time was disappointment that I couldn't feel the rudder at all. Then I realized that I don't have to, because I'm not sailing. That transitioned to how awesome hydraulic steering was because I didn't have to worry about getting launched overboard when backing up.

It will be an interesting transition. I was talking to my wife last night about installing a navigation computer similar to the low power version I have in the sailboat. I realized that I can put a nice big 19" or 21" monitor up, because I don't have to worry about power draw. The alternator will be working anytime I'm moving. That started a whole train of thought about how stringent I had to be with my power budget for offshore passage making, and how I don't have to worry much about that for coastal powerboating. I hate to think I'm going soft, but I don't think it's going to be hard for me to get used to.

I tried to attach a pic of the prop and rudder from the survey, but it was inverted. I'll have to figure out how to change the photo on my phone first.

Attachments

• ForumRunner_20151026_155848.jpg
    ForumRunner_20151026_155848.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 156
Last edited:
questionmark said:
She's a 1979 37' (docs say 36') C&L "Sea Ranger" Europa with a single Isuzu. We've looked at boats from Comox to San Pedro, and this one was hands down our favorite.
Congratulations, nice looking boat.
Why the dual control levers at the helm?

Congratulations, nice looking boat.
Why the dual control levers at the helm?

Main engine and genny get home when attached to prop is my guess. If you look at the engine compartment the engine and genny are in line.

Pretty smart if so.

She looks fine, even upside down, Congrats and enjoy her and all the electric power you now have!

Pretty boat and nice buy!

Main engine and genny get home when attached to prop is my guess. If you look at the engine compartment the engine and genny are in line.

Pretty smart if so.

Right in one...

The genset is really a Farymann single cylinder with an alternator belted on. There is a separate transmission that drives a sprocket. The PO replaced the old chain with a titanium one with a quicklink. It's not normally connected.

The engine surveyor told me to make sure I filled the main trans completely with oil if I need to use the get-home, for proper cooling. Then change the fluid when I get back, bringing it back down to proper level.

There's a switch that changes the tach from engine to engine, and a big one for charging. There is a Heart three stage alternator regulator that is shared between the two. I'm going to have to spend some time tracing wires and drawing it out to make sure I really get how it functions.

The engine surveyor told me to make sure I filled the main trans completely with oil if I need to use the get-home, for proper cooling. Then change the fluid when I get back, bringing it back down to proper level.

Let me guess, he thinks 3 or 4 quarts of oil with no external cooling can't get as hot as 2 or 3 quarts under the same circumstances ? :banghead:

If cooling the transmission is an issue when you use the get home engine, then it should be addressed properly.

Sometimes when I post a picture from cell phone regardless of how it's in my phone I have to rotate it a little save it and then rotate it like I want it , save it again then post it . Weird I know but it works .

Congrats, Questionmark. Looks terrific, and appears to have been under knowledgeable, responsible ownership - always reassuring! Intriguing engine / generator arrangement. Saw something similar only once before, also using a Farymann diesel, in a 36' Marine Trader sedan.

Bon voyage next week!

Liked the honesty of the pics, if they represent the ex owners integrity you should have no nasty surprises. The get home engine is smart and another good indicator. I`m surprised a relatively small engine is up to the job, you should try it if you did not during pre purchase checks, but I bet it does the job.

Congrats on a great looking vessel QuestionMark! I am so close to closing on my new one that I can taste it! Hope you r maiden voyage is trouble free.

Cheers, Bill

If cooling the transmission is an issue when you use the get home engine, then it should be addressed properly.

The transmission is not under stress when the get home engine is in use. No stress = no pressure. = no heat. The oil is just splash lube to keep the back end gears lubricated since there's no pressured oil being pumped in the tranny when the GH engine is used.

Also, depending upon what brand it is, it may be totally unneeded anyway. Some gears can be left in neutral while being towed (wheel spinning). Others can't (for lack of lubrication).

Simply stunning! I envy you. We're still on the hunt here in FL for "The One". Not a day goes by that I don't miss our days over in Catalina Harbor :socool:

As an unexpected bonus, I just got a call from the engine surveyor. As part of the survey, he will come back to the boat after I take posession and spend an hour going over the survey, explain his recommended fixes and how to do them (and offer quotes on those I'm not comfortable doing), show me how to do the basic maintenance, and some normal troubleshooting items like how to bleed the fuel system.

He gave me a quick explanation over the phone of how to fix the one oil leak he found, and it's something even I can manage.

?-sounds like a pretty damned good surveyor. I'd keep his # around!

Neat get-home set-up, if it works. Looks like flopper-stoppers as well. Hope all the surprises are interesting ones, if you know what I mean. Best of luck and welcome to
Trawler cruising.

Nice looking rig! I was always trying to figure a way to use the genset as a get home when I owned a single. My thought was to install an electric motor to drive the shaft. Never did get past the thinking about it stage. Yours looks like a great solution.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom