Thread: Bitten!
View Single Post
Old 07-11-2011, 01:03 PM   #1
nehringer

Bitten!

Hello all. I've recently been bitten with the trawler bug. I've been boating all my life and I have been through a pair of offshore fishing boats in the last two years. My last was a big Pro Line, twin OB walk-around. After carefully examining our intended usage of the next boat, it seems that something a little less utilitarian is what we really want. We still want to fish, but I think camping and cruising are going to be higher priorities.

I've cruised through some of this forum's posts, as well as the "cruisers forum" and I appreciate that the questions I have, have already been asked here and there, but rather than hijack someone else's thread, I wanted to post some specific concerns, apprehensions and thoughts on trawler ownership. I further appreciate the fact that the majority of trawler owners are retired, semi-retired or otherwise indipendantly wealthy. I represent none of the above. Rather, we are a 40-something family with two teenagers going into 11th grade. We both work, but we are in pretty good financial shape. That is to say, we're on a plan that will have us debt free in the next couple of years.

I was going to purchase/finance a new boat next year with a substantial down payment to keep my installments low. It was going to be another walk around fishing boat with a 250hp OB. After I started looking at trawlers, I was slapped in the face by the fact that for the same money, I could satisfy some long term wants as opposed to the short term by holding out just a little longer and buy a trawler that will provide us with years of cruising, camping and enjoyment in our local waters and later on, provide us a means of escape once our schedules and budget permits long distance cruising.

My primary question is this...is it cost effective to own a ship of this sort for many years before its full potential is explored? Is it worth the burden of ownership only to use a trawler locally? I know that's a loaded question. Being a Gulf Coast resident, we have several cost efffective dockage options not available to everyone. I'm pretty handy and am fully aware of maintanence costs and the labor repairs entail. I know its a stretch to make this comparisson, but I've owned several RV's and I know what's involved in keeping up the systems on one of those. I've been through some very costly repairs on my other boats and I like to think by now that as a graduate of "The University of Hard Knocks", I've learned a thing or two.

All of that considered, I'm still unfamilliar with diesel marine engines, gensets, climate systems, marine propane systems and marine sanitation systems. These are really the only things that bother me as to the potential of getting in over my head. I realize that not every boat may have ALL of these systems, but suppose to only boat I look at that "speaks to me" has them all, I can't walk away from "THE ONE" just because she's got some baggage.

Taking my budget into consideration, I'm pretty sure that I will have to put in some sweat equity to make her all she can be. I just don't like surprises with major systems. Interior refurbishment, bottom work, glass, running gear, paint, plumbing, electronics*and routine maintanence are all right up my alley. Keeping everything working so as to last us a good 10-20 years before we can put her into fulltime service is what bugs me.

My bottom line question is, should I be thinking about the "end-all, be-all" boat NOW, or should I look at maybe getting something that will ease us into the lifestyle before we go ahead with a big boat. By big, I mean 36+. My boat budget is pretty much what a new 24' walk around would be...you can figure that out.

Another question I have is about towing a "tender" rather than having a dingy onboard. I'm going to buy a little bay boat, maybe a 17'-19', 60-90hp OB just to have to slip in and out of the water. The kids can also use it to come find mom and dad on the weekends that they have to work and can't go out with us or stay overnight. Is it feasible to drage something like that on a short leash, or should I just plan on leaving that at home? Just curious.
nehringer is offline   Reply With Quote