2015 haulout- a week's work in 3 days!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Pau Hana

Guru
Commercial Member
Vessel Name
Pau Hana
Vessel Make
1989 PT52 Overseas Yachtfisher
We, we've owned Pau Hana since September 2012; when we purchased her, the previous owner had just done the bottom. Since we moved to the salt in May 2015, a haulout was on the short list of to-do's.

We hauled out at Seaview West a week ago Thursday to start the madness. Accomplished:

• Bottom paint renewed
  • External bow thruster installed
  • Props pulled and reconditioned
  • Underwater transom lights installed
  • New zincs installed

A great buddy, Dave Anderson, gave up his weekend to help me. We got huge amounts of work done in 3 long days (6am to 8pm) of focused work.

Seaview West boatyard is great if you're looking for a haulout in the Seattle area! Photos follow...

Attachments

• Coming out 1.jpg
    Coming out 1.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 122
  • Coming out 2.jpg
    Coming out 2.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 119
  • Down underneath 1.jpg
    Down underneath 1.jpg
    164.2 KB · Views: 119
  • Down Underneath 2.jpg
    Down Underneath 2.jpg
    126.9 KB · Views: 128
  • Down underneath 3.jpg
    Down underneath 3.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Down underneath 4- zinc work.jpg
    Down underneath 4- zinc work.jpg
    89 KB · Views: 117
  • Drilling holes 1.jpg
    Drilling holes 1.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 123
  • Drilling holes 2.jpg
    Drilling holes 2.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 129
  • Drilling holes 3.jpg
    Drilling holes 3.jpg
    110.6 KB · Views: 127
  • Thruster install 1- zinc chromate.jpg
    Thruster install 1- zinc chromate.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 136
More photos....

Attachments

• Thruster install 2- installed, ready for paint!.jpg
    Thruster install 2- installed, ready for paint!.jpg
    137.1 KB · Views: 153
  • Thruster install 3- photo from port side.jpg
    Thruster install 3- photo from port side.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 115
  • Botton paint in progress!.jpg
    Botton paint in progress!.jpg
    133.5 KB · Views: 149
  • Bottom paint in progress 2!.jpg
    Bottom paint in progress 2!.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 122
  • Going back in 1.jpg
    Going back in 1.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 123
  • Going back in 2- reconditioned props.jpg
    Going back in 2- reconditioned props.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 124
  • Going back in 3- thruster complete.jpg
    Going back in 3- thruster complete.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 121
  • Good for another cople of years!.jpg
    Good for another cople of years!.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 118
Nice! Great to have a friend willing to help. Please tell me more about the thruster, I have not seen one like that before.

Looks great Peter! I too am interested in that thruster. A bow thruster has always been a problem on a 4788 as the water tank sits in the way.

Nice! Great to have a friend willing to help. Please tell me more about the thruster, I have not seen one like that before.

Looks great Peter! I too am interested in that thruster. A bow thruster has always been a problem on a 4788 as the water tank sits in the way.

The thruster is an Exturn Yacht Thruster Duplex; Exturn is a division of Side-Power/Marrinco. Basically, instead of a pair 8-10" holes in the bow, this unit requires 2 2" holes and 4 3/4" holes. We did the physical install in 1 day, and I did the electrical before we hauled out (2 group 31 Optimas, a dedicated charger, and requisite wiring).

It's quiet, and has a 5 minute continuous run time.

Best of all, total for all including haulout was under $7k; I got a smoking deal off Amazon on a new old stock unit.

That looks like a planing hull - how did you work out how far back from the bow to install the thrusters?

I spoke to the company re placement, and took their advice; install was far forward on the keel below an existing access panel.

Since we are a semi-d hull and run at hull speed +/-, there was no need to install the thruster above the planing line.

I spoke to the company re placement, and took their advice; install was far forward on the keel below an existing access panel.

Since we are a semi-d hull and run at hull speed +/-, there was no need to install the thruster above the planing line.

What would happen in the unfortunate event of a grounding?
How comfortable are you that it will stay in place with no damage.

Well, we'd be aground :)

I hope to never have that happen- but , if it does, I have total comfort that the robustness of the unit and the hull thickness (2" where mounted) will carry the day.

Pau Hana said:
Interesting concept. I gather with the Duplex, which you have, the two props are independent; one port thrust and the other starboard.

It appears use has been primarily on European sail boats with little information since about 2010 and I could not find any current or long term testimonials.

One of the restrictions is: "From approx. 15 knots driving speed YACHT THRUSTER must be outside the water!"
Food for thought.

Here are some links to save Pau some time.
Stern:
http://www.marinno.com/partner/ultramarine-aus/data/uploads/fairline48-stern.pdf
Bow:
http://www.marinno.com/partner/ultramarine-aus/data/uploads/fairline48-bow.pdf
Testimonials:
http://www.yachtthruster.com/testimonials/sort/-2

Interesting concept. I gather with the Duplex, which you have, the two props are independent; one port thrust and the other starboard.

It appears use has been primarily on European sail boats with little information since about 2010 and I could not find any current or long term testimonials.

One of the restrictions is: "From approx. 15 knots driving speed YACHT THRUSTER must be outside the water!"
Food for thought.

Here are some links to save Pau some time.
Stern:
http://www.marinno.com/partner/ultramarine-aus/data/uploads/fairline48-stern.pdf
Bow:
http://www.marinno.com/partner/ultramarine-aus/data/uploads/fairline48-bow.pdf
Testimonials:
http://www.yachtthruster.com/testimonials/sort/-2

I did much research on the Duplex, and spent much time on those pages you reference- as well as many more. Many hours were spent on the phone with Exturn discussing the different thruster types (Exturn offers both internal and external thrusters). We also weighed the pros and cons of traditional vs external thruster- specifically, I looked for real empirical data on significant failure rates and strike damage.

As we travel at hull speed, I'm not worried about the requirement for the unit to be out of the water at 15+ knots.

I found none. Lots of speculation, hearsay, and opinions, but no overwhelming hard data. I found it interesting that I received the most negative opinions from (1) those who didn't know anything about external thrusters and (2) installers of traditional thrusters. The owners I spoke to had glowing reviews, and the yard guys I talked to during the install were curious and supportive.

I did speak to a local used who installed the Simplex 3 years ago on a Bayliner 38- he has had no failures, no strikes, and the unit has performed flawlessly.

Last edited:
I did much research on the Duplex, and spent much time on those pages you reference- as well as many more. Many hours were spent on the phone with Exturn discussing the different thruster types (Exturn offers both internal and external thrusters). We also weighed the pros and cons of traditional vs external thruster- specifically, I looked for real empirical data on significant failure rates and strike damage.

As we travel at hull speed, I'm not worried about the requirement for the unit to be out of the water at 15+ knots.

I found none. Lots of speculation, hearsay, and opinions, but no overwhelming hard data. I found it interesting that I received the most negative opinions from (1) those who didn't know anything about external thrusters and (2) installers of traditional thrusters. The owners I spoke to had glowing reviews, and the yard guys I talked to during the install were curious and supportive.

I did speak to a local used who installed the Simplex 3 years ago on a Bayliner 38- he has had no failures, no strikes, and the unit has performed flawlessly.
I'm glad it's you who is being the sounding board here. Given your profession, I would have thought you would do the kind of in-depth research you did. That is reassuring and valuable.

As you mention, real hard data is difficult to find and even the install info is not as clear as it could be. In the link below they say over 15 knots it must be out of the water yet the maximum driving speed for use of the thruster is 35 knots.
http://www.yachtthruster.com/upload...ion and Operation manual_ Feb2013_4_1 LOW.pdf

It's easy to enter the slippery slope of "what if" and attempt to satisfy every aspect of what may happen. I think it's a non-issue, and am very pleased with the operation of the thruster.

Well put, Peter.

Congratulations on getting all the work done in such a short time.

Peter,

Your hired! I'll have mine up to you as soon as you have an open window! Please advise!
LOL!!!!

What did you use to fill the joint between the thruster and the hull? I think that it comes with some sort of a filler but did you have to cut it to match the hull shape and what type of sealant goes between?

What did you use to fill the joint between the thruster and the hull? I think that it comes with some sort of a filler but did you have to cut it to match the hull shape and what type of sealant goes between?

The kit came with the parts as detailed in the upper illustration- a flat top rubber spacer (black) a set of expanding seals (purple) and various hardware. This is used to install on flat surfaces.

If installing onto a V hull, the white adapter shown in the lower illustration is available.

To install, a 2” hole and 2 5/8” holes are drilled. The 2” hole has the control wiring inside. The unit is secure with a large nut a
+ washers and 2 5/8” all thread rods screwed into the unit. I used 4200 as an adhesive.

Attachments

• 40D1B583-5BD8-4F57-99B2-5A8553EC41FF.jpg
    40D1B583-5BD8-4F57-99B2-5A8553EC41FF.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 15
I was just wondering, my hull is a semi displacement so it has a V but not a sharp V. So you were able to install it on the flat part of the keel on your boat?

I was just wondering, my hull is a semi displacement so it has a V but not a sharp V. So you were able to install it on the flat part of the keel on your boat?

Yessir- it’s installed on the horizontal flat part of the keel: specifically, aft of the forefoot (where the bow heads towards the stern). The benefit is the thruster is deep enough to have zero cavitation.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom