Water Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

henryj2

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Curly Sez Wow
Vessel Make
Gulf Star
We have a 250 gal. fresh water tank that hidden from view somewhere beneath the forward shower. We have just installed a 30 gph CruiseRO water maker. My question is, is there anyway to gauge the amount of water in the tank so that we know when to stop making water and when to start again other than just rough estimates of daily use. I suppose if the tank is overfilled water will simply back up the fill spout but that could lead to pressure problems with the tank and also harm the watermaker. Guessing based on it location the tank must have an irregular shape which would seem to make gauging difficult even if a way could be found to install such a device. Anyone had this situation and found a solution?
Jim H.

Greetings,
Mr. hj2. Don't know about gauging the tank in question but I don't think if your water tank "overfilled" there would be any pressure built up internally because you should have an overflow through hull in addition to your deck fill somewhere above the water line. Water spewing out of this orifice would signify that your tank is full and you can shut down your water maker. As to when you restart it....???? Sorry.

giphy.gif

Last edited:
Have used a dipstick method for years. After a couple of weeks I could gauge when to turn on and off the watermaker. After all you do not need to fill it to the brim every day.

In support of my theory that keeping it simple is better because on a boat everything breaks, I have even broken a dipstick. (not actually me but a worker).

If the tank gets full, the excess will come out the vent. Pressure will not build up.
It would be pretty easy to McGiver a float switch to shut off the water maker when the tank is full.
A simple bilge alarm would tell you to turn it off manually.
As Marty said, a dip stick is about as simple as you can get.
You've got lots of options.

OK. Thanks to both for the comments.

We have a 250 gal. fresh water tank that hidden from view somewhere beneath the forward shower. We have just installed a 30 gph CruiseRO water maker. My question is, is there anyway to gauge the amount of water in the tank so that we know when to stop making water and when to start again other than just rough estimates of daily use. I suppose if the tank is overfilled water will simply back up the fill spout but that could lead to pressure problems with the tank and also harm the watermaker. Guessing based on it location the tank must have an irregular shape which would seem to make gauging difficult even if a way could be found to install such a device. Anyone had this situation and found a solution?
Jim H.

It won't hurt the water maker and it should hurt the tank just to fill it till it over flows the vent.

What is your tank made of?

If water enters the tank faster than it can vent, you will blow your tank.
A lesson I learned the hard way.

We shine a flashlight on the side of our plastic (not reinforced) water tanks to observe the water level. If your FG tanks aren't very thick you may be able to see the water level inside the tank this way.

We use a dip stick for fuel.

Thank you for the suggestions. We will certainly look into that possibility.

Henry, the tank almost certainly has a vent, and it is most likely not blocked. You would otherwise see lots of burping and bubbling at the deck filler when filling the tank with the dock hose. So, option #1 is run the watermaker until water flows out of the vent.

Option #2 is to fit a sight-tube. This should be run from the same tank fitting that feeds the boat's fresh water pump. Clear hose can be used. Run it where you can see it easily. Locate the open end as high as possible; definitely higher than the open end of the vent tube!

Electric gauges are nice, but simple has a strong appeal. Let us know what you decide on. Pics too please.

Last edited:
I think I'll go with option 1.

Back
Top Bottom