Ford Lehman 120 guage set up

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kyle911

Veteran Member
Vessel Name
Maurader
Vessel Make
Marine Trader Trawler
Hello,

I have gauges just not sure where exactly to hook them up to on the engine?

Oil gauge
Tach
Temp gauge

Any help?

Hello,

I have gauges just not sure where exactly to hook them up to on the engine?

Oil gauge
Tach
Temp gauge

Any help?

Need more info from you. Like are you using the original wiring harness? New wires? Original gauges? New gauges?

But basically the oil gauge goes to the oil sender.

The tach. goes to the tach. drive or alternator.

The temp. gauge goes to the temp. sender.

Then you should have senders for the alarms.

I guess what I should say is I'm having trouble finding the exact spot the gauges get wired into on the engine. I don't know if there's a good diagram floating around?

I guess what I should say is I'm having trouble finding the exact spot the gauges get wired into on the engine. I don't know if there's a good diagram floating around?

I am a great DIYer, but when it comes to connecting vital stuff like engine gauges I get the marine electro guys in. You don't mention why they are all disconnected in the first place, but that would be my advice if your knowledge is as limited as it sounds, and I mean that in the nicest possible way. I installed my CD/radio, VHF, and umpteen other things, but we can't all be good at doing everything. Some jobs are best left to the experts. It can save a lot of grief. Just sayin'...

Check over at Boatdiesel.com or the GB owners forum. They may have a parts or wiring diagram there.

For the Lehman 120

Image 1, left: over temperature coolant alarm switch (Normally Open), activates alarm buzzer if coolant temperature is over about 200 F

Image 1, right: control panel coolant temperature gauge sender

Note: These are sometime reversed... Just flick one to ground (ie the block) and see if the gauge flickers or the alarm sounds to identify which is which

Image 2, left: oil pressure switch (Normally Open), activates alternator field and control panel gauges when engine is running with over about 10 psi oil pressure

Image 2, right upper: control panel oil pressure gauge sender

Image 2, right lower: low oil pressure alarm switch (Normally Closed), activates alarm buzzer if oil pressure is under about 10 psi

Note: coolant temperature gauge sender and oil pressure gauge sender should be "dual-station" for dual control panel boats and "single-station" for single control panel boats

On my boat, the Tachometer sender is an electronic "pulse type" that is on the Starboard side. It's hard to miss. Others have the tach set up on the alternator. I hope this helps.

Attachments

• sensors-on-head.jpg
    sensors-on-head.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 1,756
  • sensors-on-port-side.jpg
    sensors-on-port-side.jpg
    138.3 KB · Views: 2,967
Awesome! Thanks for the help!

The previous owner never hooked up the gauges/ disconnected them. Not sure why, probably never got around getting to getting new ones.

The upper helm is not wired at all and has gauges probably as old as the boat.

The lower helm has a voltmeter, tach, oil pressure and fuel gauge all new. The only ones that work and are hooked up are the voltmeter and the fuel gauge.

Thanks again for the help!

Greetings,
Mr. 911. Keep in mind when you hook up your disconnections, you will most probably have to hook up BOTH the upper and lower stations in order to achieve true readings. There are two types of sending units. One which operates ONE gauge only and on which operates dual (upper and lower helm) gauges. If you have a 2 sender and hook up only one gauge, it won't work properly and I don't know if the gauge will read high or low but it won't be correct in any case.

FL 120 Gauges

If you need anything Ford Lehman, American Diesel is the place to go (American Diesel Corp).

One could ask why you didn't take pictures before the connections were disconnected but Brian can tell you where everything gets connected and help you get everything back together.

Parts for the Ford Lehman engine or new gauges can be had there as well.

Good luck.

Best regards,

Charles

Charles Williamson
m/v Nepidae
Albin 43 Sundeck
Nepidae.trawler@gmail.com
MTOA 3927

One could ask why you didn't take pictures before the connections were disconnected but Brian can tell you where everything gets connected and help you get everything back together.

"The previous owner never hooked up the gauges/ disconnected them. Not sure why, probably never got around getting to getting new ones."

Now I'm curious. Mine has dual stations with the flybridge non operational (for some unknown reason). I'll have to get a pic of the oil sending unit and post it.

On further checking it appears the "dual" sender is a single terminal but half the resistance per psi as the single gauge sending unit is. so... never mind :)

For the Lehman 120

Image 1, left: over temperature coolant alarm switch (Normally Open), activates alarm buzzer if coolant temperature is over about 200 F

Note: These are sometime reversed... Just flick one to ground (ie the block) and see if the gauge flickers or the alarm sounds to identify which is which

Image 2, left: oil pressure switch (Normally Open), activates alternator field and control panel gauges when engine is running with over about 10 psi oil pressure

Image 2, right lower: low oil pressure alarm switch (Normally Closed), activates alarm buzzer if oil pressure is under about 10 psi

Note: coolant temperature gauge sender and oil pressure gauge sender should be "dual-station" for dual control panel boats and "single-station" for single control panel boats

On my boat, the Tachometer sender is an electronic "pulse type" that is on the Starboard side. It's hard to miss. Others have the tach set up on the alternator. I hope this helps.

Hello - this entire post has been a lot of help. One thing I did not fully understand though is this remark ".....activates alternator field and control panel gauges..." Could anyone provide further explanation?

thanks

I believe he is saying the oil pressure has to come up before the gauges and alternator start working.

Well now this is interesting because I seem to be having alternator problems but now I am wondering if there may be an oil pressure switch issue and so the alternator never comes on?

I am having a mechanic out next week. Hopefully he will know enough to check this but coincidentally a week or so ago I found a hanging wire which I think was from what is here identified as the oil pressure switch. I had no idea what it was but now I am wondering if I should recheck that wire and switch as the possible cause of my batteries not getting charged.

What I saw when looking at alternators was some of the single wire alts need to be revved up before they kicked in and started charging.

For the Lehman 120

Good stuff!!!!!!!!!!!!!
but I have to configure 1 wire GM alternators with tach lead into the equation :thumb:

I know this is an older thread - I just added all new gauges to my Albin 36 (Ford Lehman 120) - they are all working great, I do have a question as my "buzzer" is no longer functioning. The "low oil" alarm shoudl sound when the ignition is first turned on - but I am not getting that. I know where the two alarm senders are, I do not know where to find the Alarm relay or buzzer. Can anyone let me know where they are - or what they look like? I think I have a buzzer at both upper and lower stations - just not sure what I am looking for to trouble shoot.

I know this is an older thread - I just added all new gauges to my Albin 36 (Ford Lehman 120) - they are all working great, I do have a question as my "buzzer" is no longer functioning. The "low oil" alarm shoudl sound when the ignition is first turned on - but I am not getting that. I know where the two alarm senders are, I do not know where to find the Alarm relay or buzzer. Can anyone let me know where they are - or what they look like? I think I have a buzzer at both upper and lower stations - just not sure what I am looking for to trouble shoot.
Small box with wires under the dash with holes to let the sound out. Normally within a foot of the keyswitch.

Last edited:
Not sure if others on this list have this document. It is a schematic of the wiring for the gauges at the helm for the Ford Lehman on my Albin.

Attachments

• FordLehmanEngineElectricSchematic.pdf
    53.6 KB · Views: 397
Varnish lifts from teak because oils or water give off vapor under the greenhouse effect of a clear coat in the sun. The vapor pressure can be very high in small spots.

Water getting to the wood on the inside of trim or underneath cap rails may wick towards the surface. All the prep in the world won't stop the process; eventually the coating will fail. Oils OTOH allow the wood to breath but they have their own problems.

If you want to paint teak some varnish first coats will make removing the paint later easier.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom