Whale watchers down

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
That's sad!

There's conflicting reports on the sea state; on the one hand there was the mention of the 3-4 metre swells, and other reports suggest it was fairly calm. A photo of the upended tour boat taken just before it went under suggests that it was lumpy but not seriously so.
multiple-fatalities-after-tour-boat-sinks-off-b-c-coast-1.2627130

Last edited:
http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/multiple-fatalities-after-tour-boat-sinks-off-b-c-coast-1.2627130

Journalist on Twitter reports 14 missing, but local news is reporting 22 accounted for, so 5 missing.

Last edited:
Wind waves and swells are 2 different animals....without a wave period the info is of not much help.
Can't tell stability from a picture either.....looks like a lot of effort went into her to keep weight lower....no fear of making it look a bit funky.

Last edited:
One rescuer reported that he was told the boat rolled over after being hit by a 'rogue wave'.

Might be a situation where the swell rebounded then combined their forces off nearby rocks or islets, and got further concentrated by an underwater shelf...maybe...

They originally reported the location as Plover Pt, on Meares Island, since corrected as Plover Reef, near Vargas Island at the entrance of Clayoquot Sd.
ImageUploadedByTrawler Forum1445868909.567301.jpg
The Explorator incident was found to be due to lack of use of navigation aids (wasn't watching plotter).

Rogue wave or lack of attention to navigation aids.

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Once again, as was the case with the Queen of the North ferry sinking, we have the First Nations people to thank for preventing greater human loss.

Once again, as was the case with the Queen of the North ferry sinking, we have the First Nations people to thank for preventing greater human loss.

Yes, that was a highlight that I took away from this tragedy too.

There is a big difference between 10-12' wind driven waves a 10-12' long period swells on a clam day.

Yes, I know. Since there is lots of confusion about what the real cause of the sinking was, I showed a link to one scenario, nothing more.

Perhaps they wandered over a rock shallow enough to have somewhat the same effect as a "boomer"?. I'm thinking of a rock the size of a house .. or wearhouse. The comments using the expression "rogue wave" may relate to a boomer like situation. I've only seen big boomers once up close .. very scary. I gave it a really wide berth.

Unless the boat was actually touching the bottom (as in post #12) she should roll over if her CG was anything like low. Where the air was would be perhaps equally important however.

Last edited:
Reports are they got a distress call off, if so that would mean they knew they were in trouble before it rolled. Could also have been another vessel making the call.

Really sparse info on the various news sites. Maybe a journalist out there could interview a survivor instead of making videos of still shots of parked ambulances!!!

If my memory is serving me I believe this accident location is at the entrance to bull **** pass. Locally named. Very interesting currents over and between very interesting grounds. But an awesome place to watch, listen, smell, whales, especially humpback's. To sit on the water at night under the stars, hear the blows, smell the breath of a big guy.

Very sad, my heart goes out to all. Here on this coast it's usually a fellow mariner to the rescue, it's just so remote outside of the " lower mainland.

So sad....

I can't help wondering how it happened.

I'm thinking that if the boat had the swell on its beam to provide the best viewing on the shoreline, and there are 22 people on the leeward side of the upper deck watching seals, the COG is substantially changed.
A large swell, slightly breaking may be enough to roll the boat to the point where it takes on water. The next one could roll her over.

All speculation of course, but I wonder if the designers of tour boats take the possibility of all passengers being on one side, into the stability calculations?

Or worse, thrown to one side from an abnormally large wave.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom