Anyone Know Who Makes This Trawler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FX2162002

I'm new to the forum, and while cruising in the Exumas I found this little trawler near Staniel's Cay. I asked the owner who designed it, but when I searched up what he told me and didn't get any results. Does anyone know who builds this boat?

Attachments

• GOPR9668.jpg
    GOPR9668.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 251
  • GOPR9669.jpg
    GOPR9669.jpg
    85.6 KB · Views: 182
  • GOPR9671.jpg
    GOPR9671.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 168
  • GOPR9672.jpg
    GOPR9672.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 161
The pictures are a little too distant to be sure, but it resembles a Heritage West Indian trawler built by Morgan. The molds were later bought by Chris-Craft.

Moonstruck is right, google Heritage West Indian 36 Trawler and you'll get lots of images and info.

Yes. It is a Heritage Yachts West Indian trawler. I own one.

Hey, Trawler one. Glad we smoked you out of your hiding place. Welcome. Now, tell us a little about your boat.

I bought "The One" 8 years ago in Kittery, Maine and sailed it home to Prince Edward Island. I really love the boat. Very sea friendly, her Perkins 6-354 works great and is very fuel efficient. I hope to do the Loop with her in a couple of years. I cruise Northumberland Strait andThe Bras D'Or Lakes in Cape Breton. Lots of great places to cruise in the summer. She is now tucked away in the boathouse for the winter.

Little??!! For a recreational trawler, that is not little! (At least it's bigger than most of ours.)

I have always admired the styling and layout of those boats. Great lines.

Nice boats, a guy just down the dock from me has one and uses it quite a bit.

Kevin

I really like the looks of that boat!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Couldn't agree more with all who said the Heritage West Indian 36' is a handsome boat. Practical in many ways, too.

Heritage founder Charley Morgan started as a sailmaker in Tampa, Florida, then designed and built highly successful custom offshore racing sailboats, like the SORC campaigner Paper Tiger. In 1962s he founded Morgan Yachts in St. Petersburg, famed for the Out Island series of cruising sailboats, like the Out Island 41' - numbering over a thousand, one of the most popular recreational sailing yachts ever. After selling Morgan Yacht in 1968 to a conglomerate (Beatrice Foods), Charley Morgan designed, built, and campaigned an America's Cup 12 meter named Heritage.

In the mid-1970s, when his non-compete agreement expired, he founded Heritage Yachts, principally a sailboat builder. The West Indian trawler was the company's foray into the then growing trawler-yacht market. Chuck Neville, then employed in Heritage's design office, collaborated on the W.I. 36' trawler.

Among the 36s attractions is its remarkably shoal draft of slightly less than three feet. Charley generally favored shoal draft designs (witness the Out Islands), reasoning that a fun, safe vessel is one that can get into lots of places without worrying about grounding.

Charley told me that the boat was "designed around the 135 Hp Perkins Range Four diesel." Indeed, the engine compartment seems to accommodate it nicely. When Chris-Craft later acquired the molds, they built just eight hulls - reportedly four with the single 135 hp Perkins, and four with twin 85 hp Perkins. (The engine rooms in the latter look crowded).

Some (but not all) examples have a side door alongside the helm station, which the one in the OP's photos appears to lack.

Yeah, that's it! Thanks guys. And, a response in 11 minutes, I'm definitely 'gonna have to spend some more time on this forum.

The pictures are a little too distant to be sure, but it resembles a Heritage West Indian trawler built by Morgan. The molds were later bought by Chris-Craft.
Proud new owner Morgan 36 FT West Indies as of May 2019. Currently being restored at Huckins Yacht Corporation Jacksonville. Repowered Perkins 135 HP. Rebuilt Generator. Would like to network with other owners care and operation.

If you have any input please reply. Jim

Back
Top Bottom