Manatee generator exhaust systems.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HiDHo

Guru
I need some information on how your exhaust is designed to prevent a flooded generator. Our Northern Lights 5 KW generator is installed below the galley counter top sink area. The limited space down there has caused the generator to get hydro-locked, luckily no damage resulted. I think the only way to raise the exhaust hose out of the muffler is a loop up thru and down under the head vanity. What type of design do you have on your Manatee's ?:confused::confused::confused:

My generator is also under the galley sink. My raw water intake is starboard and exhaust is to port and below the water line. I've not had any problems with mine I think because my generator (Entec) is quite tall and the exhaust is above the water line. A loop as you describe might solve the problem.

You could put a gas/water separator in line above the waterline after the muffler. If any water was to back up the exhaust line it would discharge through the drain. You do have to install a below the waterline thru hull and an added benefit is the exhaust will be quieter.

:socool:

Keydisease, what you describe is a GenSep water separator and that might work. The other alternative is to penetrate the deck above for an exhaust loop under the galley counter top or head vanity, I hate drilling big holes in decks.
DCBD my generator enclosure is in contact with the overhead in the space below the galley. I guesstmate the water line is even with the exhaust manifold.The outlet of the muffler hose turns at the overhead but lacks the 1/2" slope down and 1' min. between the overhead and the exhaust thru hull.

Bill: Should I assume that your genset is mounted athwartships below the refer with exhaust with the front of the engine toward starboard?

Larry, no it sits centered on aft bulkhead facing forward with exhaust towards starboard side. My holding tank is center lined on forward bulkhead. Fun how ever Manatee is different although I have a copy of the plans and Krogen listed as an option a 3 KW generator located where mine is installed.

Maybe you could moved the muffler someplace you had enough overhead clearance to install a sep? As long as the run was horizontal or downangle the muffler could be moved wherever. I had a Sportfish customer once w gen under he cockpit centerline, we moved the muffler against the hull and put a sep into the void betweeen the hull and innerliner.

:socool:

In general you want a water lift muffler with it's volume well below the gen outlet mixer. Then outlet of muffler raised into a loop at least a foot above where it exits boat. Water lift muffler satisfies this if base is mounted on same deck as gen base. The larger the muffler "can" volume the better, as it stores errant water from either end.

Post some pics of your exhaust layout.

There is definitely something wrong if it water got in the machine, which it did.

The exhaust fix turned out to be disconnecting the hose out of the muffler that did not slope to the outlet which was only 5" above the waterline. This marginal installation worked until we filled the fuel and water tanks to capacity and encountered dockside rough seas while docked for two days.
The fix was to run new wire inserted hose up through the deck up under the head vanity and then slope it down about 14" to the outlet which now is over a foot above the waterline.
The area is so tight photos don't really show the old and new repairs.
Thanks Ski you nailed it, not having the 12" or more down slope caused the problem.

Back
Top Bottom