Delfin

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Arctic Traveller
Vessel Make
Defever 49 RPH
I had the pleasure of getting a tour of Delfin the other day, and I can only say that it's a testament to what can be done by someone with a vision and a lot of time* I've got to tell you, it's spectacular.* Being steel, you expect to at least see some waves, welds, or other signs the hull is steel, but the boat is far more fair than most fiberglass boats Ive seen.* My friend Bob Lane wrote a piece about it in Passagemaker a few years back, and while I don't remember the specifics of the article, I suspect Bob had a hard time coming up with enough superlatives. The systems are all very well thought out and properly installed.* The finish work is first class, and even the decoration is great.* Job well done, it's simply stunning, and a true passagemaker too................Arctic Traveller

I see Jeff that Delfin has a lot of very wide curves and generally rounded forms that steel does not like to be formed into and even in the pics it's obviously a steel hull that was not made quickly or inexpensively. The sea does not like flat surfaces and Delfin has little to offer in flat surfaces. I wonder who designed her. Looks like it could be a William Gardner boat.

Have no clue what kind of boat you're talking about.* One-of-a-kind vessel of some sort? *Got photo, measurements, etc.?

Is this it?

-- Edited by markpierce on Monday 17th of January 2011 11:45:47 PM

markpierce wrote:

Have no clue what kind of boat you're talking about.* One-of-a-kind vessel of some sort? *Got photo, measurements, etc.?

Is this it?

Here you go,* http://delfin.talkspot.com/

Arctic Traveller wrote:

markpierce wrote:

Is this it?

Here you go,* http://delfin.talkspot.com/

The Romsdal Trawler has always been my dream boat, in every way but speed. But, if you have a boat like that under you, who cares how long it takes. My only other concern was draft. The ones I have seen stats on in the past mentioned drafts of about nine feet. Now that concerns me. But, like any other limitation of design, you learn to deal with it. I believe I saw Delphin in Friday Harbor on D Breakwater one summers eve in the last few years. She is truly beautiful.

I fully agree. *Since I first saw the Avitar of Delphin on this site, she has been on my "most admired" list. *Of course, I know nothing about the costs of such a craft, let alone the restoration, but I find her un-obtrusive with the sea, perhaps the biggest complement I could give a vessel.

I thought it was a Malahide made in Ireland as they look very similar with the explorer lay out with the high pilot house toward the stern.* The Malahide and Romsdale use to have a classic boat show at the Lake Union Wood Boat center through the Classic Trawler* Network. **Delfin is certainly a good looking, well maintained and capable trawler.* I have not been on the Delfin, however I have admired her at the Trawler Fest many times.* ***

Carey wrote:The Romsdal Trawler has always been my dream boat, in every way but speed.
I certainly agree with the speed remark but the Fleming 55 remains steadfast at the
top of my list.

SeaHorse II wrote:

Carey wrote:The Romsdal Trawler has always been my dream boat, in every way but speed.
I certainly agree with the speed remark but the Fleming 55 remains steadfast at the
top of my list.

You have not been aboard Delfin then....

I got the tour last summer also... The Fleming is a great boat.. I have admired them also, But Delfin really is a small ship.. and a extremely high quality one at that.* I spent about an hour and a half aboard. I can state that I would have absolutely no issue with pointing her to Hawaii or points beyond and know she would make it there regardless of weather. Every system was perfect. And the work that has been done was first class. But the thing that impressed me most was that it wasn't " over the top " as far as the overall yacht feel. Kind of like if Rolls Royce was commissioned to build a truck for a farmer that had to be daily driven in the field and was expected to go for 500,000 miles without major issues. She shows as an absolute labor of love!
HOLLYWOOD

Boats are like women: Just when you think that you've seen the perfect "10", along comes another one that catches your eye.

So Carl,* clearly you have built a boat capable of cruising the world.* I think it would be quite entertaining for us armchair cruisers if you were to tell us of your plans.* It sounds like your have done quite a bit of homework already.* ...........Arctic Traveller

Thank you for the kind words, Jeff,and your visit to Delfin.* It's always great to match a face to a respected name.

If we're able to successfully retire within the next couple of years as planned, a circumnavigation of the Pacific via Patagonia is the plan, or at least mine.* The Admiral would prefer a direct route to Oz via the Marquesas, but if I fail to convince otherwise, I'll make do.* We carry enough fuel to depart Costa Rica, passing by and hopefully stopping at the Galapagos (permits permitting) and make it to Tahiti via the Marquesas.* You are allowed to refuel in Tahiti without taxes on exit.* If we get to Tahiti via Patagonia, we'll be refueling in Punta Arenas.* From Tahiti/Samoa/Fiji/Tonga we'd be circumnavigating NZ before continuing through the Bight of Oz to Perth.* We lived in Oz for awhile, and travelled a bit in all states except the Northern Territories, which we would like very much to visit, so we'd be heading north and around to Sydney via the Gulf of Carpentaria.* From there, Lord Howe, New Caledonia, the Solomons, Chuk, Tinian, then Japan.* From Japan, it may be north to the Aleutians, then south to Hawaii and home, or more probably direct to Hawaii from Japan.* We sailed to Hawaii a few years ago and really look forward to going back there on a boat.* No achorages to speak of, but paradise nonetheless.* Around 35,000 miles (42,000 via Chile), 16,000 gallons of fuel (20,000 via Chile), three to four years.* Emergency flights home for a grandma fix as circumstances dictate, and if possible impressing a grand-kid at a time (there are five) for a six month 'see a part of the world' life experience.* And to wash the boat.

Now that I've gone on record, God's grace willling, I guess we have to do it.....

In the meantime, we have been trying to get to the Charlottes, and hopefully can pull that off this summer if I get a month free.

-- Edited by Delfin on Tuesday 18th of January 2011 08:50:26 PM

Phil Fill wrote:

I thought it was a Malahide made in Ireland as they look very similar with the explorer lay out with the high pilot house toward the stern.* The Malahide and Romsdale use to have a classic boat show at the Lake Union Wood Boat center through the Classic Trawler* Network. **Delfin is certainly a good looking, well maintained and capable trawler.* I have not been on the Delfin, however I have admired her at the Trawler Fest many times.* ***
Phil, regarding the Malahides and Romsdal looking alike you are half way correct. Some of the Malahide hulls were built in Rognan, Norway then towed to to Ireland for outfitting. Rognan is just north of the Polar circle, 300 nautical miles to the north of Ålesund,*Romsdal were Delfin was built.

I knew there was a relationship.* The Urs Major was moored on Lake Union, and I got to know Joyce who put the Lake Union Classic Trawler together.* The Ursa Major has been at most of the Trawler Fest and so has Delfin in AnacortesWA*

Thanks for the information

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 01:10:37 PM

-- Edited by Phil Fill on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 01:11:41 PM

Sounds very adventurous.* If only we were retired, and had the funds!* For now, our cruising is limited to the West Coast, and whatever deliveries or crew positions we can get.* Still we can dream.*

Anyway, should the admiral decide that some parts of the trip are not for her, you might consider having her skip those parts, and then flying to meet you once the boat gets to somewhere she likes.* I'm sure many marriages have been saved using that method.*

So, for those of us that have to live vicarously, do you plan to do a trip blog?..........Arctic Traveller

Jeff, when I suggest the 'me go' 'you stay' and join me later plan I get the look that says it ain't happening.* Either way, I'll be happy.

I would like to keep friends and family informed via postings, hopefully adding something to practical knowledge about what systems work, and which work less well when used constantly.

Back
Top Bottom