3RD failed survey this year

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

gaston

Guru
Rant
$3000 down the drain or $100000 saved .Just had a phone call from my surveyor to say he would pass the boat for insurances purposes but would walk away for other reasons. Hull was good engines gearbox all good electrics could do with a few days work fuel tanks good wood work and interior could do with a few days work but the thing that he said that stood out was there are many small new repairs that have been done by some one that knows what they were doing in other words many fix ups for sale .
Im over buying another boat in Australia seems everything for sale is other ppl junk

I feel better now

So fixing things up before the sale is a negative!?

Fixing things and tarting things up for sale is a dead give away;)
In this case they were hiding things which lead to looking for more things that had been missed which were found .

Now I find the boat has had 3 other surveys in the last 8 months ??

What sort of boat are you thinking of getting? I`m thinking about buying a bigger boat maybe next year, but I cant make my mind up, another Riv?, aft cab displacement cruiser?, even though about a sports cruiser until my mate slapped me, the Admiral isnt to bothered as long as it has a walk around bed instead of the v birth, and twin shaft diesels

What sort of boat are you thinking of getting? I`m thinking about buying a bigger boat maybe next year, but I cant make my mind up, another Riv?, aft cab displacement cruiser?, even though about a sports cruiser until my mate slapped me, the Admiral isnt to bothered as long as it has a walk around bed instead of the v birth, and twin shaft diesels

Must have walk around 110% be shaft drive fiberglass with fly bridge prefer 35 to 38 foot nothing bigger don't need any more than 4 bunks wife and self 99% galley must have view . With little choice in Australia it comes down to GB ? Clipper 36 Heritage, Mainship 38, Integrity 38 prefer single engine around 5 to 8 years old Importing is now a option

What make was this most recent disappointment? Obviously an attractive boat that does not withstand survey. That`s tough.
There are 2 near new used Integrity 38s advertised, FB and Sedan, they should be good condition boats, but priced north of 400K.
Edit: A thought, I`ve always been present at surveys, it wasn`t so beneficial last time but normally it does help, being there might enable you to pull out early if the signs are bad.

Last edited:
What make was this most recent disappointment? Obviously an attractive boat that does not withstand survey. That`s tough.
There are 2 near new used Integrity 38s advertised, FB and Sedan, they should be good condition boats, but priced north of 400K.

It was a Clipper 36 Heritage meeting with the surveyor tomorrow to find out more

Hi Gaston,

What is your budget ? I will keep an eye out for you.

Have you had a look at this one? Used 2007 DEFEVER 36 SUNDECK Boat For Sale - boatpoint.com.au
We had a look at her and she seemed pretty clean.

bd5128451142566187106.jpg

Don't be fooled , many if not most surveyors will down grade enough of the boat , they hope, to pay for their services .

"but the thing that he said that stood out was there are many small new repairs that have been done by some one that knows what they were doing in other words many fix ups for sale"

So what is the problem ? ."small new repairs that have been done by some one that knows what they were doing"

Even if the DID NOT know what they were doing , it sounds minor.

A new boat before delivery survey will discover more wrong than this.

Must have walk around 110% be shaft drive fiberglass with fly bridge prefer 35 to 38 foot nothing bigger don't need any more than 4 bunks wife and self 99% galley must have view . With little choice in Australia it comes down to GB ? Clipper 36 Heritage, Mainship 38, Integrity 38 prefer single engine around 5 to 8 years old Importing is now a option

http://www.andrewmooremarine.com.au/clipper-36-heritage/
http://www.andrewmooremarine.com.au/clipper-36-heritage/http://www.andrewmooremarine.com.au/clipper-36-heritage/

Can't tell if you've seen this or not, nor whether it might come close to your criteria or not:

http://www.trawlerforum.com/forums/s3/okay-single-twin-22680-5.html#post381528

Grand Banks 36 by Riviera, see posts 180, 182, 192, 194, 196, 197, 199, 200, 205, 206.

-Chris

Don't be fooled , many if not most surveyors will down grade enough of the boat , they hope, to pay for their services .

"but the thing that he said that stood out was there are many small new repairs that have been done by some one that knows what they were doing in other words many fix ups for sale"

So what is the problem ? ."small new repairs that have been done by some one that knows what they were doing"

Even if the DID NOT know what they were doing , it sounds minor.

A new boat before delivery survey will discover more wrong than this.

I'd have to agree.
Just like a home, if there are problems, you want them professionally/properly corrected before purchase, or reduce the sale amount appropriately, right?

I don't see the issue.

OD

I just completed a survey last week, cost 2500 with boat survey, engine survey, and haul out.

Here were the major findings, never mind the 20 other minor ones!

Engine survey could not be completed because of fuel supply issues to port engine
After cooler hoses bulging because of blocked coolers
The bottom has been severely neglected, epoxy and gel layers damage.
Two of the four AC units are not working
Both AC pumps are corroded and leaking
The DC panel ammeter has been bypassed and is not to code.
The forward sonar is not working
The autopilot is not working,
The RL 70c is destroyed
Shaft bearings need replaced
Through hull leak at port side exhaust
Leaking holding tank with sewage in master cabin
Six gel batteries that are 12 years old and overheating ($400-$600 each)
The AC outlets are not correctly wired (wired through the inverter)
No idea if the davit or outboard works
Port flow scan bouncing all over the place

Now can all of these be fixed with money - yep. But my feedback to the selling broker was that this boat was not ready for sale and certainly nor ready for a sea trial. Extremely frustrating that these brokers/sellers hope that everything works during a survey/trial and have no qualms about passing on a boat with severe issues.

Caveat emptor.

I just completed a survey last week, cost 2500 with boat survey, engine survey, and haul out.

Here were the major findings, never mind the 20 other minor ones!

Engine survey could not be completed because of fuel supply issues to port engine
After cooler hoses bulging because of blocked coolers
The bottom has been severely neglected, epoxy and gel layers damage.
Two of the four AC units are not working
Both AC pumps are corroded and leaking
The DC panel ammeter has been bypassed and is not to code.
The forward sonar is not working
The autopilot is not working,
The RL 70c is destroyed
Shaft bearings need replaced
Through hull leak at port side exhaust
Leaking holding tank with sewage in master cabin
Six gel batteries that are 12 years old and overheating ($400-$600 each)
The AC outlets are not correctly wired (wired through the inverter)
No idea if the davit or outboard works
Port flow scan bouncing all over the place

Now can all of these be fixed with money - yep. But my feedback to the selling broker was that this boat was not ready for sale and certainly nor ready for a sea trial. Extremely frustrating that these brokers/sellers hope that everything works during a survey/trial and have no qualms about passing on a boat with severe issues.

Caveat emptor.

Prior to making an offer and going to official survey, a reputable seller/broker representing a well found vessel will allow a serious buyer to insure basic systems are working. I have done this on 4 boats in the past 3 years. Only when said vessel is perfect in mine and expert eyes did we consider survey.

Prior to making an offer and going to official survey, a reputable seller/broker representing a well found vessel will allow a serious buyer to insure basic systems are working. I have done this on 4 boats in the past 3 years. Only when said vessel is perfect in mine and expert eyes did we consider survey.

Problem is with vessels that are a distance away. This particular one is five and a half hours away. So an 11 hour round trip.

Earlier this year we drove seven hours each way to see a boat in Southport NC that the broker told us was pristine. It took us about five-ten minutes to walk away.

Well said Sunchaser.

What I would add to another post is that ANY boat can be for sale in ANY condition.. there is no such thing as "ready for sale" .

A boat may not be ready for sea, or functional. Anything for sale has some value to someone, it appears as though the O.P wants a new perfect boat for a used boat price.. like we have not seen that before.

HOLLYWOOD

Well said Sunchaser.

What I would add to another post is that ANY boat can be for sale in ANY condition.. there is no such thing as "ready for sale" .

A boat may not be ready for sea, or functional. Anything for sale has some value to someone, it appears as though the O.P wants a new perfect boat for a used boat price.. like we have not seen that before.

HOLLYWOOD

I just wanted one where the engine didn't quit mid-sea trial! :)

Problem is with vessels that are a distance away. This particular one is five and a half hours away. So an 11 hour round trip.

Earlier this year we drove seven hours each way to see a boat in Southport NC that the broker told us was pristine. It took us about five-ten minutes to walk away.

I hear you. I drove five hours through LA and San Diego traffic to view a sailboat that the broker assured me was "immaculate" and "turn key" only to have her hand me estimates from two different yards in Ensenada to recondition or replace the mast. In the parking lot, before I even walked through the marina gate. I got out of my car, and she said something like "hello, thanks for driving down... before we look at the boat here's estimates for the mast work."

Oh, and when we set foot aboard she let me know that they had already adjusted the asking price downward for the estimated work. Stupid me thought the high asking price was indicative of a quality listing. Learned an important lesson there.

I'm not really sure what she was thinking. That somehow I'd think, "wow, she's willing to boldface lie about these things, but I'm sure everything else she says during this process is true."

I should add that while I was down there I dropped in to another broker's office with no appointment, and asked to see a boat on the board. He told me it had already sold, but he'd be glad to show it anyway because it was a cool boat. He spent a ton of time showing it and just talking boats in general. We ended up buying the same make and model, just older, from another place entirely. But it was a combination of the first broker being complete dishonest scum, and the second going way beyond to help a guy out, that set us on our path to our boat.

It all works out in the end.

Greetings,
I had one surveyed where a transmission died during a sea trial. Passed on it. I've never felt monies payed for a survey have been wasted and definitely $$ saved. That being said, the surveyors I engaged were, I felt, competent. My last insurance survey, the "surveyor"...well, ahem...this IS a family oriented site.

scrchn.gif

I flew 9000 miles to look at boats that weren't worth surveying to buy our current boat which wound up being less than 100 miles from home.Frustrating but you get over it. By now you probably can tell whether or not to even think about investing in a survey. Don't sweat it the boat will find you if you let it.

Spell check via iPhone.

Follow up from meeting this morning with the surveyor
Boat is good condition not excellent as it should be for its age with evidence of internal cabin repairs in places one would never expect to see damage some damage repairs were seen high in forward cabin and large new areas of upholstery through the boat where it shouldn't be need for such a young boat. Some new electrics gauges/ sounders ect fitted in cabin and fly bridge. Non original fly bridge seats 5 windows newer than other glass in others is different to others .New draws and doors in galley that don't match other timber. Floor hatches timber is different to flooring

Conclusion more than likely an ex USA insurance storm write off .:eek: RUN FOREST RUN !!!

Spoke with broker this morning who until now was the nicest bloke one could meet and he said thats why you get a survey

It will never happen, but there ought be some obligation of and responsibility for "truth in advertising"(now there`s an oxymoron!) on brokers/sellers. It is apparent from posts above many people have incurred significant expense and inconvenience to inspect boats in good faith and in reliance on representations which turn out false and misleading.
Gaston, hang in there, unfortunately you kiss a few toads before you find a princess.

Follow up from meeting this morning with the surveyor
Boat is good condition not excellent as it should be for its age with evidence of internal cabin repairs in places one would never expect to see damage some damage repairs were seen high in forward cabin and large new areas of upholstery through the boat where it shouldn't be need for such a young boat. Some new electrics gauges/ sounders ect fitted in cabin and fly bridge. Non original fly bridge seats 5 windows newer than other glass in others is different to others .New draws and doors in galley that don't match other timber. Floor hatches timber is different to flooring

Conclusion more than likely an ex USA insurance storm write off .:eek: RUN FOREST RUN !!!

Spoke with broker this morning who until now was the nicest bloke one could meet and he said thats why you get a survey

I disagree...

My boat has LOTS of new fixes...just about every system is new and so is the bottom...and with about $20 grand in equipment upgrades...I probably would be asking pretty much what I paid for it 5 years ago. Signal anything...you bet...someone would begetting a heck of a deal.

New upholstery? VERY common simple spruce up.... not signaling anything...

Just because stuff is new or fixed doesn't mean a dang thing unless you find out why.

How old is the boat?

Last edited:
I am currently ready to enter into contract on a boat. When I made my first offer, the listing broker told me that this included 12 months of pre-paid slip fees. When I asked to have this written on the contract, there was suddenly a "mistake", and no pre-paid slip fees. I ended up settling for 4 months pre-paid, but then noticed yesterday that they had removed the dinghy and OB from the Yachtworld ad! WTF? I contacted the owner, a no no, and he assured me that the dinghy/OB is part of the deal. I'm trying to have them add it to the contract, but I'm getting ready to walk. How does a reputable broker conduct business like this? :banghead:

Cheers, Bill

I am currently ready to enter into contract on a boat.....
That`s 2 things that should not have happened. Do you trust the broker and or seller. How do you tell which is causing the mischief? If it is like that while they try to get you to contract to buy, what will it be like after you do?
Try walking due to lack of trust, see what happens.

If the contract is contingent on survey then it isn't worth the paper it is written on.

If the contract is contingent on survey then it isn't worth the paper it is written on.

It's worth something, just not completely binding. I think of it more as a "letter of intent" or maybe more similar to "option to buy." They're both commonly used in the business world. You're just saying if these things check out then it's my intent to buy for this amount. Now, they don't come free, you don't get that option to buy without spending, spending money for the survey. The spending of money is what allows the seller to assume you're doing it in good faith.

Back
Top Bottom