Thread: El Faro Sinking
View Single Post
Old 10-22-2015, 10:10 AM   #168
dannc
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by cappy208 View Post
A democratic process.... Yuck yuck yuck.

It just don't work that way. There's only one chief. The rest are just indians. (so to speak).

Regarding past incidents, Of course there are many. This is the only way the industry changes.
My bad but I was THINKING, but not stating, recent losses. I can remember quite a few losses, but not in the last 30 years or so, with the exception of the Edmund Fitzgerald.

My point with the question is that there does not seem to be that many US flagged cargo ship sinkings which, if true, implies the system is working safely.

To put it another way, what is the loss rate of US flagged ships compared to other first world countries? How many sailors die per miles traveled or similar metric on US flagged ships. Is the number increasing, decreasing or the same? Cappy, I don't expect you to have the answers, they are just questions that seem relevant but I don't know the answers either.

Recently, I was reading a story written by Tom Colvin when he was a sailor on a sailing ship. Long story short, he and a friend were aloft in a storm when the ship was knocked down. Colvin saw the wave coming, shouted a warning but his large and very strong Swedish friend could not hold on to the spar and fell to his death. Sometime scat just happens...

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote