Thread: El Faro Sinking
View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 05:57 PM   #154
dannc
Guru

City: NC
Quote:
Originally Posted by sunchaser View Post
For many years I have followed cargolaw.com. It is astounding how many ships go down, roll over at the dock, run aground, evade pirates, collide etc. Add to that the tugs and barges plying the inland rivers and the count increases to several thousand opportunities per day for something to go wrong.

This has little to do with El Faro specifically but indirectly points out the myriad of issues that arise out of the ordinary and tragedies that ensue.
Actually, I wonder if it does apply to El Faro. I have been wondering about the fatality rate of sailors on US flagged vessels. I am struggling to remember when the last time a US flagged cargo ship sank. I did a quick search on the link but did not find any hits for 2013 or 2014. 2014 does not appear to be complete. Lots of accidents and losses in the lists,which was not surprising to me, but I could not find a US flagged sinking.

Can anyone else remember when a large or small US flagged cargo ship sank? Granted there are not many US flagged cargo ships but I just can't remember one sinking recently. Heck, the last US flagged ship that I can remember that sunk was the USN mine sweeper than ran up on a reef.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote