Travel companion

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Peggy- That post is awesome!!!

You're definitely gonna have to add a lot more information to your profile..or at least a photo of the boat!:socool:

I actually think you're going about it backwards. Not many women these days would even THINK of agreeing to head out to sea with a man they barely know...so first put some effort into meeting women who are good company and also consider you to be. Put some time and effort into turning that into a real relationship and THEN try to talk her into living on a boat for a while. But before she'll agree to do that, she's gotta want to live with YOU, even platonically, for a while!

Or just show her much you are worth - much quicker.

Peggy
Sent that to my daughters

Wifey B:You don't just walk around in a bar hoping to find someone drunk enough to agree to head on the trip and hope they don't sober up before you leave the dock.
That's the funniest unintended line I've read in a long time.
....it was unintended, right?

Last edited:
I dunno why this thread brought this to mind:

Women are like apples on trees. The best ones are at the top of the tree. Most men don't want to reach for the good ones because they're afraid of falling and getting hurt. Instead, the sometimes take apples from the ground that aren't as good, but easier to get. The apples at the top think something is wrong with them, when in reality they're amazing. They just have to wait for the right man to come along-- the one who is brave enough to climb all the way to the top of the tree.

Now men are like a fine wine. They begin as grapes and it's up to women to stomp the crap out of them until they turn into something acceptable bring to the dinner table!

I'm printing that off for my wife!!!

That is too true!

That's the funniest unintended line I've read in a long time.
....it was unintended, right?

Wifey B: No, hate to disappoint but it was intended.

It reminds me of the line "I wouldn't want to belong to any country club that would let me in." Well, you really don't want to spend 24/7 on a boat with some woman who would join you no questions asked. I'd probably ask her what LEO she's running from.

I'd try to find someone who wanted to just do some local boating with you. Then, if things go good, explore the idea of a long trip and long term relationship.

Something else is some dude says "Five years cruising together, strictly platonic" and my response is "Yeah, Right." :rolleyes:

Well, they are out there, I'm not endorsing! This from a sailing forum:
"Lady with sailing experience would like to cruise the Bahamas or Eastern Caribbean this winter. I have logged about 6,000 nautical miles, have some offshore experience, and have experience handling a 58' power yacht. I'm very active, fit, and agile and have an easygoing, happy disposition. Not prone to seasickness. Previously was a liveaboard. Well traveled outdoor adventurer. Available to cruise indefinitely."

Wifey B: No, hate to disappoint but it was intended. :rolleyes:
Oh, Wifey B, you need to lower your mind way down into the gutter where mine is to see the double entendre of the second sentence.
A blooper if ever I saw one.
:blush:

Why not change crew in each port you travel to? Most sailboat crew members are sick and tired after an ocean crossing looking for greener pastures and a nicer boat. A Nordy would seem like heaven to most. Should be able to be quite choosy in the Med or Caribbean. As Steve and others have pointed out go for the sailing crowd! E-mail Bob Bitchin'. I'm sure he can give you solid suggestions on how to crew your boat.:D

Oh, Wifey B, you need to lower your mind way down into the gutter where mine is to see the double entendre of the second sentence.
A blooper if ever I saw one.
:blush:

Wifey B: I love double entendre's. My hubby introduced me to video's of Groucho Marx and Johnny Carson. They knew how to do it. And I caught what you're calling a blooper.

Well, they are out there, I'm not endorsing! This from a sailing forum:
"Lady with sailing experience would like to cruise the Bahamas or Eastern Caribbean this winter. I have logged about 6,000 nautical miles, have some offshore experience, and have experience handling a 58' power yacht. I'm very active, fit, and agile and have an easygoing, happy disposition. Not prone to seasickness. Previously was a liveaboard. Well traveled outdoor adventurer. Available to cruise indefinitely."

Wifey B: Definitely out there. I'm sure the rest of the story on that lady would be interesting.

My thoughts exactly... Any female willing to jump aboard a ship without any idea of how tolerable the relationship would be- for 5 years, would certainly have to be crazy ;). This might not bode well for you :)!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

As mentioned, think back to when you started to live aboard. It took you some time to 'learn how to live in a shoebox'. It is folly to expect to find someone in a classified ad who would adapt instantly to live like this (especially to get along personally with you) for five years.

Start with a 30 day cruising companion. Then work to find the one that 'sticks'.

From the people I have sailed with their true colors start to shine through after 20 days or so.

cappy208From the people I have sailed with their true colors start to shine through after 20 days or so.[/QUOTE said:
That applies even on shore with the relatives and they have been in your life forever.:blush:

Usually both men and women that choose to go to and stay at sea or at least live aboard are a tiny percent. Their mentality is pretty far askew from the average.

After 3 liveaoards and wild variation on companions who chose to or not to do it....and several segments dating looking for the perfect cruising companion....

I would firmly say that all advice should be tossed out the window...most is based on a particular set of people and situations...all could be polar opposites of the day and person you meet.

Looking hard is probably only as fruitful as going with the flow, being immersed in the situation, living it fully and crossing paths with the right one.

The percentages we are talking about for long distance cruising the way YOU want to do it...you will likely find many more struck by lightning than the "prefect cruising companion" out of the blue.

Back in the search again for a nice woman to do a circumnavigation with. I know this sounds pathetic, but it is hard to find someone who can take off for five years, or so. We need a dating app on this website.

N43, I think the right person is out there. Don't get discouraged. I think there are a lot of ladies out there that would do it if it was done in a non committal way. Instead of asking a woman to commit to 5 years tell her you are doing a circumnavigation and ask if they would like to join you. If you do it in a way that SHE enjoys she will stay the whole way. If she is not having fun she will bail at the first port. Just know that to have her along, and to keep her happy it will cost more than going alone. When I had a sailboat I had a plaque on the bulkhead that said "Like a Woman, the rigging costs more than the hull".

Good !

n43, i think the right person is out there. Don't get discouraged. I think there are a lot of ladies out there that would do it if it was done in a non committal way. Instead of asking a woman to commit to 5 years tell her you are doing a circumnavigation and ask if they would like to join you. If you do it in a way that she enjoys she will stay the whole way. If she is not having fun she will bail at the first port. Just know that to have her along, and to keep her happy it will cost more than going alone. When i had a sailboat i had a plaque on the bulkhead that said "like a woman, the rigging costs more than the hull".

????

Thinks happen in strange ways in life and when you least expect them. That being said, I think you're far more likely to find that long time cruising companion by simply finding people who would like to cruise a little, a weekend, or a month. Or set out on a trip. Five years is a long time to commit to anything.

5 years is a long time...just ask a lot of people who signed up for the military and 5 minutes into boot camp decided it was a bad decision...:eek:

My girlfriend would go with me tomorrow if we had the means to cut out of here!!! I think she might like the boat more than she likes me!!!!...;)

I have a close friend that just went through this, his crew advertised on a popular bay area sailing magazine turned out to be not so great, and her "resume" sounded remarkably similar to the one listed above. She made it about 300 miles. Finding someone cold turkey that will go offshore is the proverable needle in a haystack..rarely will it last.
Hollywood

Wifey B:-
Something else is some dude says "Five years cruising together, strictly platonic" and my response is "Yeah, Right." :rolleyes:

Yup! There's an old sayin' from my much younger years:
A**, Gas or Grass, nobody rides for free....:D
Unless she's a total sea hagg, and even then after five years (five drinks, five minutes or 5pm for some people), everybody starts lookin' like a star:rofl: I don't see strictly platonic in this relationship at all.

As to your post, I had to go back and look it up, and yes, intentional or not, it was funny. It took me a second (I can be a little slow at times) then it hit and I went dayum girl!:eek::rofl:

OD

Platonic? No. I don't think so.

I'm sure just about everyone has seen this one. Maybe I'm just a neanderthal, but, I agree 100%.

As to your post, I had to go back and look it up, and yes, intentional or not, it was funny. It took me a second (I can be a little slow at times) then it hit and I went dayum girl!:eek::rofl:

OD

Wifey B: Not lil' ole' me. :angel:

Usually both men and women that choose to go to and stay at sea or at least live aboard are a tiny percent. Their mentality is pretty far askew from the average.

After 3 liveaoards and wild variation on companions who chose to or not to do it....and several segments dating looking for the perfect cruising companion....

I would firmly say that all advice should be tossed out the window...most is based on a particular set of people and situations...all could be polar opposites of the day and person you meet.

Looking hard is probably only as fruitful as going with the flow, being immersed in the situation, living it fully and crossing paths with the right one.

The percentages we are talking about for long distance cruising the way YOU want to do it...you will likely find many more struck by lightning than the "prefect cruising companion" out of the blue.

psneeld,,
You say all advice should be tossed out the window. And of course that dosn't include yours.

Last edited:
There actually are women who want to do a very long cruise provided you are in the ports and yacht clubs where these gals are likely to be. But a lot of it comes down to the male - is he stable, in good shape, sexy, well funded, with a nice vessel, fun to be around, drug free, relatively sober, sexually capable, not a wife beater etc. No different than being in Des Moines as far as attracting nice gals. A winter in La Paz will show some hope if the male and ship bear scrutiny well.

For those on the West Coast, a good starting point is San Diego. It is a large playing field. With a nice vessel and possessing the above, ahem, capabilities have at it. If you strike out here you are not going to do much better anywhere else.

psneeld,,
You say all advice should be tossed out the window. And of course that dosn't include yours. But you're is really quite good especially the military part.

Try putting into the context of the post.....

There actually are women who want to do a very long cruise provided you are in the ports and yacht clubs where these gals are likely to be. But a lot of it comes down to the male - is he stable, in good shape, sexy, well funded, with a nice vessel, fun to be around, drug free, relatively sober, sexually capable, not a wife beater etc. No different than being in Des Moines as far as attracting nice gals. A winter in La Paz will show some hope if the male and ship bear scrutiny well.

For those on the West Coast, a good starting point is San Diego. It is a large playing field. With a nice vessel and possessing the above, ahem, capabilities have at it. If you strike out here you are not going to do much better anywhere else.

So true...get people out of their usual hants and they are often suprised at just how different places and cultures and personality types can really be. Sometimes those circles are tiny in relation to the whole population...but go to hot spots and it's a different ballgame.

For certain alternative lifestyles...many towns/cities became famous for their XYZ population before many even gave that lifestyle much thought.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom