View Single Post
Old 10-21-2015, 03:34 AM   #9
Rustybarge
Guru

City: I need a bigger boat!
Vessel Model: Cheetah 25' Powercat.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GFC View Post
IMHO class is a state of mind. Those who think they have it probably don't, they just have more $$$ than the rest of us. Money does not bring class.

Everyone knows that Sea Rays denote class. Just kidding. Really. If people talk about my boat and call it a yacht, my immediate response is "Nope, it's just a boat".

I do believe there is a "no class" class and it sits well below Rubes. It's populated by the likes of The Donald, Bill Clinton, Bernie Madoff, you get my drift.

There's also a class that sits near the top of the heap and it has nothing to do with money. It's populated by those who donate a substantial portion of their wealth for the benefit of others less fortunate. Bill Gates comes to mind.
I totally understand where you're coming from. The new Chinese rich come to London to gorge themselves on consumer goods; Rolex watches. Louis viton luggage, gold plated jewelry. I visited China 20 years ago, its culture isn't 5000 years old, its only 50. Mao wiped the slate clean and destroyed their ancient culture.

The modern Chinese are igronarnt, pushy uncultured people. No class.

'Too much Money is a great impediment to taste'