Grey Whale

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
The Haisla were here for thousands of years before Alcan showed up. The District of Kitimat held a plebiscite on this very question, and Enbridge lost. I am not alone.

Well yes, the Natives were everywhere before we arrived. I don't think anyone is going to give back North America.
The question is, do YOU want to make this your life struggle and probably die prematurely by way of some cancer causing by-product of your local industry, or do you want to live a happy, healthy and long life in a more conducive geographical location.
Just imagine, less rain, clear air and warmth. :)

Last edited:
The question is, do YOU want to make this your life struggle...

Already have. Was an Intervenor in the JRP hearings and intend to defend the place I love. Thanks, but I think I'll stay right here, where Humpbacks feed beside the marina, where I have never felt crowded on the water, anchorages are mostly empty, and where we've seen 10 whales within a half hour from the dock.

Like I said earlier, the stuff will squirt one way or another, but this place (north coast mountains) has too many geohazards and then there's those troublesome 'Z' turns to get into Douglas Channel from Hecate Strait.

Sorry, but you'll have to find another patsy to keep those stock dividends coming in.

Sorry, no stock dividends here. Good luck in your life struggle :banghead:

Thanks for the positive support :D

Hope you find some place that equally inspires you to defend against such a high risk / low reward project which has such potential for multigenerational harm...see avatar.

Last edited:
Liberal majority...complete Conservative slap-down from the Canadian people...goodbye Northern Gateway...(might take a while to let the JRP timelines run out)...insert my smiley face here; :)

Sent this to friend on October 14th;

"I finally figured out Harper's "Justin...he's just not ready yet" campaign. The Liberals lost a bunch of support to the Cons when Stephan Dionne was at the helm, then lost even more last election when Ignatieff headed the Liberals. Harper knows if those swing voters go back to the Liberals, he's well and truly F****D!"

Another smiley face; :)

Last edited:
The Liberal Party will say anything to anyone to get elected. I wouldn't put too much into any of their election promises. At least one knows where the CP and the NDP stand.

My prediction on pipelines; Gateway dead, all others supported.

Mr Trudeau is a very smart man. He knows that to get elected you run down business of any sort especially the oil guys in maverick Alberta. He also knows that to stay elected job creation is king.

Kitimat as an oil and gas hub was DOA from the outset but hope springs eternal. I know for a fact that ALCAN and Rio Tinto hated the negative publicity that was running rampant on the issues and can now get back to business as usual - quietly refining Al from bauxite that is hauled up the channel in very big ships.

As Mr. Trudeau knows (learned from his father), job growth in the cyclical resource business requires that one strike while the iron is hot, or better said when commodity prices are up. The world is not short of oil and gas. What Canada has lost during this nearly decade long attempt to move product from the West Coast is what drives the oil business - market share.

Canada's oil based export market share revenue loss will gladly and easily be made up by exports from the Middle East, the US (yes it will happen) and Venezuela when they become less silly. Russia is chomping at the bit to sell more oil. The final nail in the oil growth coffin for the Middle East will be internal Chinese production whether from disputed offshore land or fracking inland.

To keep the high cost tar sand exports alive from Canada a C$ of around 75 cents US or less is needed. So far so good in this regard.

My prediction on pipelines; Gateway dead, all others supported.

Fine by me.

I'll leave it up to the people who might be impacted by those other pipeline (and increased supertanker traffic) proposals to decide which side of the risk/reward scale those projects fall. I was only engaged to win the local Northern Gateway battle. Five years of my life was enough!

Since this turned into a Whale of a political thread, the only good news that I can see from the Liberal win is that they promise to reopen the Coast Guard base in Downtown Vancouver. This should cut the response time to half.

Murray, Spy and others...........

I have not closely followed what has happened with the Tar Sands projects in Alberta so I'm not aware of the mess that has turned in to.

Would either or all of you who are familiar with this mess please start another thread (no hijack intended here) and 'splain it to those of us who are not at all related to the oil industry so we know what's happening?

Other than The Messiah (Obama) killing the Keystone pipeline project, I'm admittedly in the dark about all of that.

Thanks, and I've enjoyed reading this intelligent and interesting discussion.

Murray, Spy and others...........

I'll have to pass on that one as I don't know much about the tar sands, what projects are going ahead, which ones are on hold, or their effects on adjacent and downstream environments. My involvement has been limited to stopping the Enbridge Northern Gateway project.

Back
Top Bottom