Belt guards!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Baker

TF Site Team/Forum Founder
Site Team
Vessel Name
Floatsome & Jetsome
Vessel Make
Meridian 411
Belt guards pretty much piss me off...especially Cummins. They are solid and you can see absolutely nothing of what is going on behind them! The Cats, 3208 anyways, are not as bad as you can see through the slats.

What is the solution??? Do I take them off and risk damage(generator fuel lines are in the load path of the port belt) to certain things?? Do I leave them on and remain ignorantly blissful about what is going on behind them?? Is there a compromise???....a modification to the guard that would allow inspection without removal???

Greetings,
Mr. B. Leave them on and modify. Cut openings in strategic locations and cover the openings with either metal grate or a Lexan window. My $.02.

Greetings,
Mr. B. Leave them on and modify. Cut openings in strategic locations and cover the openings with either metal grate or a Lexan window. My $.02.
:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I agree with RTF with one caveat....the Lexan cover will foul with black rubber particles and obscure the view eventually. I would have expanded metal grates as suggested.

You could have a welding shop reproduce the guards in expanded steel, maybe even stainless if you want to add a little bling! Probably pretty reasonable if you don't take it to a yacht yard shop. Bill

When I repowered years ago with a Cummins, the belt guard never saw the boat.
In my boat there was no advantage to leaving it on.
I have somewhere a picture of one that was modded with a lexan panel. I'll try to locate that file.
The lexan can be easily removed and cleaned when it gets yucked up.

I normally **** can them unless absolutely necessary for a safety reason.

If you feel better with them on just change your belts every year or two while watching for excessive belt dust.

Use expanded metal if you keep the guards and paint them black so you can more easily see through the mesh.

Kevin

Use expanded metal if you keep the guards and paint them black so you can more easily see through the mesh.

Kevin

"Expanded metal"???

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    108.2 KB · Views: 86
Ok thanks!!!

Here's my fix. I really need the guard as to get in ER I hop down right in front of the engine. Expanded metal and tig welder.

If you don't have a chance to tangle with the belts, sh!tcan them.

Attachments

• 30mar2012 032.jpg
    30mar2012 032.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 90
Ok thanks for the info. I do jump down right in front of my STBD engine but I am never down there with it running....and will just make sure it is not if I am down there.

My boat doesn't have guards on the mains (it does on the generator). Might look at cobbling something together though as I do go into ER while engines are running to check for leaks etc. Would not be good to get a shirtsleeve or something into one of the pulleys.

Kevin

I really like how the lexan looks. I may try to see if I can engineer it with a quick release

Safety is important - modify the guards, don't ditch them! Take the old one to a fab. shop for them to use as a template. Paint it black and refit. Usual story of risk (potential loss of fingers or worse) versus cost (beans, really...)

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. B. "...I am never down there with it running....and will just make sure it is not if I am down there." Never say never. It only takes once for whatever reason that may be unfathomable now. Modify and leave them on please.

Belt guards are for check-writers not DIYers. If I have to get down there underweigh, the last thing I want to do is waste time with belt-guards.

Greetings,
"Belt guards are for check-writers not DIYers." THAT'S about the most stupid remark I've heard this month!

missing-multiple-fingers-hand-palm.jpg

Last edited:
Indeed. Removing guards might mean in future you`ll need a hand to do anything in the ER, or out of it.
There are substantial penalties in the workplace for operating machines without guards over moving parts. A factory floor is normally level and static, a boat ER is often anything but. If the engine mfr fitted guards, keep them in place.

Indeed. Removing guards might mean in future you`ll need a hand to do anything in the ER, or out of it.
There are substantial penalties in the workplace for operating machines without guards over moving parts. A factory floor is normally level and static, a boat ER is often anything but. If the engine mfr fitted guards, keep them in place.

And if they are not present for any reason then add them.

I became much more safety conscious when working in an organization that placed a high importance on it, in an industry where injuries and even fatalities are all too frequent. There is no reason to treat your home or boat any different to a workplace in regard to safety either, indeed do it for family and guest's sake even if you don't care about your own chance of injury.

:thumb::thumb:

It baffles me how in this day and age folks recommend throwing away safety equipment :banghead:

Future Darwin Award winners in waiting

My twin Perkins don't have belt guards and never did. Does that make them unsafe?

My twin Perkins don't have belt guards and never did. Does that make them unsafe?

Nor does my relatively new VolvoPenta or any of the vehicles in my driveway.

Of course normal operation is with the engine hatch or hood down.

A walk in or crawl in engine room should have them, but if accessed through a hatch; probably not.

Neither do my Lehmans, but if they did, they would not be removed except for servicing. A belt broke while the mechanic was running the engine at WOT, taking out the front FW hose. Keep valued body parts well clear.

If guards were never there you just need to assess whether there is any chance of body parts or clothing getting near any rotating/revolving mechanical things. And don't forget to allow for a a wave upsetting your balance, forcing you to grab something quickly. Assess the risk and then do whatever mitigates it to the extent you are comfortable with.

I grew up on a farm, a long time ago, and guards of any kind were a rarity on a wide range of equipment we and others used. My father made sure all of us knew the risks and were very careful. As were most folks, but incidents did occur regularly in the district. These days farm machinery and farmers are very safety aware, and there are plenty of legal requirements, like most workplaces. Times change, people learn from mistakes, norms evolve. At least make an assessment of your own situation rather than assuming that it is OK because it has always been like that.

Wish John Deere had designed a better guard for my engine. It's impressive until you want to run an accessory like a second alternator off the crank shaft. Between the coolant pipe that runs down around the bottom of the engine and the attachment points for the guard, there was no way it could stay. Thankfully they offered a different coolant pipe for another application.

John Deere 4045tfm75.jpg

DSCN1036.jpg

The platform that you stand on while doing an engine check is on the side and ends before you get near the front of the engine.

DSCN0996.jpg

Ted

I did all my own maintenance and always reinstalled the guards. I like the idea of making them more visible. Not only do they protect me when working they also protect the engines in the case of something flying around in the ER in rough weather.

I did all my own maintenance and always reinstalled the guards. I like the idea of making them more visible. Not only do they protect me when working they also protect the engines in the case of something flying around in the ER in rough weather.

Do you mean to tell me that there may be some unsecured items in an ER???:eek:

That unsecured something also includes the human going in for the team to make the repair/inspection. In my younger years I was that someone as I did not get seasick while bouncing around between hot turbo shrouds with hands covered in diesel while changing out a Racor element. It would be easy enough to fab a shroud with a face of expanded metal grate that is secured separately by 4 or 5 small bolts with captive nuts on the body of the shroud. Would give access to belts/pumps within 1 minute with a zip gun or speed wrench. I like my appendages (and still need them for my occupation) so I am thankful for shrouds. Now, Baker, on the other hand (pun intended) may not need his as commercial aircraft will all be remotely piloted in a year or so:D.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom