What Gear Ratio Do I Have ?????

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kartracer

Guru
Vessel Name
M/V LUNASEA
Vessel Make
45ft Bluewater Coastal
How can I tell what the ratios are on velvet drives. When I put port in gear it moves boat more than starboard engine.:confused: What I am trying to say is with both in gear boat will turn to port.

If tags are gone or not readable, get a phototach and with engine idling in gear, shoot the engine crank pulley and prop shaft. Divide numbers to get your ratio.

Ask around the dock, many boat owners keep a phototach on board.

There should be a metal plate on the gear that tells you.

There should be a name plate on the top with the ratio and series numbers. You may have to scape some paint. Not likely that they are different ratios.
Prop condition?
Engine RPM?

Hmmm....I would assume your transmissions are the same ratio. Your issue may be slip in the clutch on one tranny or a difference in pitch on one prop. A little time with a non-contact tachometer and a helper will help narrow it down.

The above phototach idea answers your question but What WOT will each engine hit? That might give a clue what's going on.

Everything can be weird on a boat but the usual suspect would be a bent or out of spec prop.
Keep it simple and look for the obvious stuff.

Thanks Props just out shop but did this before having them redone. Will try phototach

Thanks Props just out shop but did this before having them redone. Will try phototach

You can make a mark on the flywheel and the driveshaft and turn either one a single revolution and see what your ratio is. It is probable that it you can either hand turn the prop shaft by hand with the coupler or a pipe wrench. Since it is a step down transmission, that would be easier than turning the engine over manually. If you want to turn the engine over carefully, (key off, power off, etc.), put a socket and pull handle on the front of the engine crank shaft. Usually there is a nut on the front crank holding the timing wheel / balancer / front pulley on.

Don't make the mistake my Dad made and leave the pull handle on the driveshaft when cranking the engine :) Big mistake and glad no one got hurt, except the Craftsman pull handle (twisted in a big U shape). No, he wouldn't use their warranty, assuming someone would ask how he screwed it up...

Stu

some times in the older velvet drives one tranny is 2to1 and the other is 1.9 to one they do that to reverse the rotation when both engines turn the same way. they say that there is a 10% diff . not a big deal

You can make a mark on the flywheel and the driveshaft and turn either one a single revolution and see what your ratio is. It is probable that it you can either hand turn the prop shaft by hand with the coupler or a pipe wrench. Since it is a step down transmission, that would be easier than turning the engine over manually. If you want to turn the engine over carefully, (key off, power off, etc.), put a socket and pull handle on the front of the engine crank shaft. Usually there is a nut on the front crank holding the timing wheel / balancer / front pulley on.

Don't make the mistake my Dad made and leave the pull handle on the driveshaft when cranking the engine :) Big mistake and glad no one got hurt, except the Craftsman pull handle (twisted in a big U shape). No, he wouldn't use their warranty, assuming someone would ask how he screwed it up...

Stu

That will not work with a hydraulic gear box. Without the engine running there is no hydraulic pressure to lock the clutches so turning the shaft end or the engine manually will result in no drive through.

Your suggestion would work with the mechanical boxes such as many Hurths where the clutches are locked with a mechanical toggle.

Best bet is per Ski's suggestion.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom