Boat Search 101

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I believe most boats will need to be modified to Loop with ease.

In the huge commercial locks nothing more than a hefty cleat , midships that is easy to pop outside and work will be required . 15 inch would be a reasonable size.

Ride the pipe float , easy with one line.

The hassle would be the small locks in the Hudson and the Erie barge canal or in Canada..

Nothing but ropes hang from the top of the lock, no sliding Pig to tie up to.

Usually 2 folks (one fore and one aft) will pull or release lines to keep the boat on the lock wall.

I would contemplate a powered windlass , or powered old sail boat winch , so with good fendering a single line could be held taught enough to keep the hull on the wall.

The windlass would be on the "natural" docking side as required by the boats prop direction.

Might be useful after the loop in docking

A couple of comments. First, many people make locking out to be far more difficult than it is. Now, if that moves them to be better prepared then great.

As to preparing fenders and lines, you must do so on both sides of your boat. You'll often be directed to a position and occasionally even if you've chosen a side, during the process you'll be asked to move. So be prepared on both sides of your boat. The other reason to do so is that sometimes you will raft to another boat or one will raft to you.

The majority of locks have pipes or cables or floating mooring posts. In these cases the easiest way for most boats is to have a line affixed to a forward cleat, loop it over or around the post, pipe or cable, pull tight from the rear and just loop it around a cleat. Do not knot it. You must always be in a position that if there is a malfunction you can quickly release. For that reason a windlass would probably not be usable or allowed as it could malfunction when you needed to release. I've never seen one used for that purpose.

In the small locks where lines are dropped down to you, then you just hold them. As said you do generally want two people, although not impossible for one to do it.

The small locks are simple as the turbulence is generally mild. Only difficult in high wind and that's simply then a matter of getting and staying in position. As to locks such as those on the Mississippi and Tennessee and Tenn Tom, the turbulence can be greater and require some effort. The biggest thing there is not to untie until the signal is given. Then on those locks there is one more potential factor and that's the turbulence from tows in front of you. Let them clear, don't try to rush and be too close to them. Now, often you'll be allowed to lock through rafted to one of them. That is absolutely the easiest locking. They'll then have you go out first. Tows are generally very cooperative and helpful if you're polite. The two captain always has the right to say yes or no to you locking through with them. The exception of course is a red flag tow (flammables or dangerous chemicals) and you can never lock through with them.

For the most part lockmasters are extremely helpful as well.

Now the only other type lock one might face doing the loop is if one chooses to take the Welland Canal. It's very unique and largely commercial and a pilot to take you through is strongly encouraged. Plus right now they're redoing the mechanisms and there are delays for pleasure vessels as they work on the locks between commercial boats.

Then there is the Panama Canal where you use line handlers and if you're large enough they even use mules. Not the animal kind. Equipment along tracks they have set up designed to move you at the right pace.

We don't ever mind the locking itself. We do mind the delays waiting sometimes.

First post. Brand spankin new to boating just bought a home in the thousand islands with private slip looking to fill it, approaching retirement. Have been doing a lot of things that have been suggested here and am thinking 32 to 36 is my starting sweet spot. Expected to be a summer only mainly weekend user. Thinking diesel, have found an older boat, long term owner, twin cats. I think I'm ready too buy, survey caveat of course, and agree at some point you just have to jump in and get your feet wet pardon the pun.

Fantastic thread glad I found you guys. My basic question is: does it make any sense to buy now end of season, knowing full well I can't start using until next spring? The boat has been fall discounted significantly and even with the storage still seems to makes great sense. But ... Seems counterintuitive somehow? Thoughts? Thanks in advance

The boat has been fall discounted significantly and even with the storage still seems to makes great sense.

What is fall discounted? Tell us about the boat, that should generate more meaningful feedback.

What is fall discounted? .

Sounds like sales gibberish to me. Making you think you're getting something special when you've really got no basis to know. Oh, I have no doubt someone may drop the price by what it's going to cost to winterize, haul, store, dewinterize, insure all winter, finance for the winter. The same costs you will be incurring. Plus a lot less likely you discover problems before months have passed. And by spring the boat will be older so worth less, even if only marginally.

To buy a boat you can't use for six months it needs to be one great deal and you need to know it is, not have someone telling you it is. The later it gets in the season the more risks too. Risk you can't get a good sea trial, risk of not getting a complete survey. I've seen boats sold that were already in winter storage with "take my word, it's perfect." Also as time in the fall runs short, I've seen people act hastily to buy before the boat is hauled.

Just cautioning regarding the use of the term "fall discounted."

Sounds like sales gibberish to me. Making you think you're getting something special when you've really got no basis to know. Oh, I have no doubt someone may drop the price by what it's going to cost to winterize, haul, store, dewinterize, insure all winter, finance for the winter. The same costs you will be incurring. Plus a lot less likely you discover problems before months have passed. And by spring the boat will be older so worth less, even if only marginally.
"
B&B covered the basics well but I have a slightly different take on the + & - of fall purchases. I've bought 3 boats over the last 25+ yrs... All 3 in the fall. Sellers are more likely to be open to negotiate given the downside of owning another 6+ mos.
Here in the NE there are a lot of used boat sales late season...new boat sales in the spring. It may be different in other areas.
I do agree w all of B&B caveats... I wouldn't buy w\o a sea trial & survey...and figure in you storage costs etc and decreased value by next season.
If you can complete all the due diligence and it still looks like a good fit for your use...why not?
My bottom line recommendation to used boat buyers is to spend time thinking about how you will use the boat and what your musts & wants list includes...spend enough time to look at several boats and evaluate them via your list...be patient there are a LOT of good used boats out there...but be ready to jump on it if everything lines up and you find a "keeper"
Good luck

What is fall discounted? Tell us about the boat, that should generate more meaningful feedback.

Thanks for the comments, would be more than happy to share the details but didn't want to get this thread off topic.

Basics are it's a 33' 73 Viking (is it too old?), twin Cummins 5.9's with 300 hrs, current long term owner since 1999, my sense is strong mechanicals but lacks the more modern creature comforts inside. My logic is it may be a good starter for someone with zero experience and who doesn't plan at this point to venture too far from home base at least to start. It was priced at $30k when I first saw it late August, then reduced to $25 mid September. It is in the Northeast, so I am guessing (as a new guy) the economics in the fall are different in new England than say Florida, hence my storage and fall purchase related question. I am also getting emails from "Pop yachts" (a broker?) with lots of similar significant fall price reductions.

Is it poor form to make a lowball offer? Does a boat come with a "title" that needs transfering like a car? Is it "registered"? Do you have to pay your local sales tax upon purchase? Is a "vintage" boat like vintage cars - a well maintained version appreciated for its age, or are they just one step closer to the graveyard? Dumb questions, I know, tia.

Last edited:
.....I have no doubt someone may drop the price by what it's going to cost to winterize, haul, store, dewinterize, insure all winter, finance for the winter. The same costs you will be incurring. Plus a lot less likely you discover problems before months have passed. And by spring the boat will be older so worth less, even if only marginally.

To buy a boat you can't use for six months it needs to be one great deal and you need to know it is, not have someone telling you it is. The later it gets in the season the more risks too. Risk you can't get a good sea trial, risk of not getting a complete survey. I've seen boats sold that were already in winter storage with "take my word, it's perfect." Also as time in the fall runs short, I've seen people act hastily to buy before the boat is hauled.

Just cautioning regarding the use of the term "fall discounted."

I deleted a part of your first line (because I may have misrepresented the "fall discount" aspect which was my wording, not sellers), but otherwise you have summed up my concerns perfectly!!

On the other hand, what is if it is the one, and I wait and it's gone?

Last edited:
I have a slip neighbor that wants to move up from his 34 to a 40 - 42" boat. He has been looking for at least 18 months and always finds "the boat" then he sits and fidgets over minor things that are certainly not deal killers. Then the boat is sold to someone else and that starts over and over.

The grass is always greener... If you like that boat and you can live with the price plus weatherization and storage, I say go for it. I am assuming this isn't the first boat you looked at, right? If you have selected this one and like the layout, go for the sea trial and then an out of the water survey by a surveyor you choose. After the survey your choice will become clear to either buy or pass.

Good luck!

Thanks for the comments, would be more than happy to share the details but didn't want to get this thread off topic.

Basics are it's a 33' 73 Viking (is it too old?), twin Cummins 5.9's with 300 hrs, current long term owner since 1999, my sense is strong mechanicals but lacks the more modern creature comforts inside. My logic is it may be a good starter for someone with zero experience and who doesn't plan at this point to venture too far from home base at least to start. It was priced at $30k when I first saw it late August, then reduced to $25 mid September. It is in the Northeast, so I am guessing (as a new guy) the economics in the fall are different in new England than say Florida, hence my storage and fall purchase related question. I am also getting emails from "Pop yachts" (a broker?) with lots of similar significant fall price reductions.

Is it poor form to make a lowball offer? Does a boat come with a "title" that needs transfering like a car? Is it "registered"? Do you have to pay your local sales tax upon purchase? Is a "vintage" boat like vintage cars - a well maintained version appreciated for its age, or are they just one step closer to the graveyard? Dumb questions, I know, tia.

It was reduced because it didn't sell. Didn't sell during prime selling season which for the NE actually ends around the end of June. Most boats are sold in the spring in cooler climates.

Pop yachts....don't fall victim to a mass mailing campaign. Many of the boats they're mailing you about are boats they've found on Craigslist ads.

Nothing wrong with a lowball offer.

300 hours? what is the age of the engines?

Whether the '73 Viking is good is all a matter of condition. I see 33 ft Vikings in that date range for $36, $14.9, $24.9, and $22. So if anything even the $25k is toward the high side of the market.

However, if you can get a boat that runs decently, doesn't have hull issues, for under $25k then it could be a great purchase.

Thanks again, I get all excited based on solid comments above and then I read something like this on another forum and wonder what everyone else knows about a 33 Viking that I don't know, and is the Ford Edsel of boats?

"The 33 (Viking) was the short lived first shot at fiberglass construction,"

For reference the context of that posting is here, post #15 Viking Owners a Special Breed? - Viking Yacht | YachtForums: The World’s Largest Yachting Community

You can see why a first time buyer gets concerned about ever pulling the trigger. Am I reading something out of context? Trying to do my diligence. Thoughts?

Thanks again, I get all excited based on solid comments above and then I read something like this on another forum and wonder what everyone else knows about a 33 Viking that I don't know, and is the Ford Edsel of boats?

For reference the context of that posting is here, post #15 Viking Owners a Special Breed? - Viking Yacht | YachtForums: The World’s Largest Yachting Community

You can see why a first time buyer gets concerned about ever pulling the trigger. Am I reading something out of context? Trying to do my diligence. Thoughts?

I wouldn't call it an Edsel and, if I did, I might remind you that from what I've read, the Edsel was actually a good car, just no popularity.

In the case of the 33' Viking, to me it's like any boat of it's time period. So much was new. Some have endured the years incredibly well. Others not so well due largely to neglect. They're not going to perform like later boats as there's continuing knowledge gained and improvement in design. However, that doesn't mean they're bad boats. It would just take a good survey to evaluate it. There are quite a few available so probably some nice and some not so nice.

The following quote from forum link listed above is as I recall wooden Viking boats during their inception in the 1960's. I clearly recall while working in LI, NY boat yards on Vikings when young... They were designed beautifully but constructed very poorly. Since then... from what I understand... Viking has become a very well constructed, highly reputable boat brand. I currently know one Viking owner of what I believe is a decade or so old 44' sport fisher - he loves it!

Quote from link: "Viking has come a long way from the poorly built wooden boats they built to their early fiberglass models that aged badly with their rotten cored foredecks, cockpits, bridge decks and wood grain sole complete with sliding glass doors. I think I have surveyed most of those over the decades.
clear.png

Modern Vikings are second to none in quality, fit, and finish, as is their customer service."

I have really enjoyed this thread and what was very apparent to me is that there is such a vast spectrum of boating experience represented on this forum. Everyone has their list of "must haves" or "won't tolerate" and each list is probably right for them and only them. One guy's list is for the perfect loop boat. Another has a list of requirements that looks like he wants to build the largest, most comfortable boat that could ever transverse the loop. Another guy has a dock and his greatest need is to put a boat on it, which is the kind of attitude that I appreciate. It was that kind of zeal that caught me up in this lifestyle in the first place. That kind of passion is why people who cruise and people who long to own trawlers believe that boating is such a great lifestyle.

Agree with Bayview 100%. Personally I can't imagine going out and buying a boat for extended cruising and live aboard without having spent a fair amount of time on the water in different sizes and types. If one hasn't done this through ownership or having lots of friends to cruise with, then charter. I've written extensively on this on other threads.

Though for our personal purposes, we bought a big whale of a boat to be our house and cruising platform, I still think Skipper Bob's maxim is spot on: " Don't buy the biggest boat you can afford, buy the smallest boat you can be comfortable in" . We did look at 67 footers. Our boat served its purpose wonderfully, for us for the 6 years we lived on her and cruised her, as time went by we liked it better and better.

The point on volume is an important one. Big differences in the same length. Below is a picture of our boat, transoms even, next to a 55' Fleming. I've been on Flemings and think they would be wonderful to be underway in. For us the perfect boat would be a "transformer", a Fleming underway, our boat at anchor or otherwise at rest. For us the living accommodations and engine room of the Fleming were unacceptable.

So obviously I think it is very important to know what your personal check list is of ergonomic, comfort and sea handling issues.

PA210078.JPG
I am curious to learn of your experience with your Hatteras. My dream is to get back to the boating lifestyle in the next couple years and that size Hatteras makes some sense for me. My experience has been going up and down the ICW on Taiwanese cruisers, a 49' Albin and a 43' Marine Trader. That was about all I could afford, but I equipped each with everything needed to be a coastal cruiser. What I liked about the Marine Trader was space. I'm sure your Hatteras had even more room and that appeals to me at this point in my life. I am now 68 and retired.

With the Taiwanese boats you had to be careful with leaking fuel tanks, soft decks, and blistering. Each of those could kill you if you got a lemon. Does Hatteras generally have the same issues on those items. Were there other things of major concern that I might look to avoid?

And how was your boat in crappy seas? No one chooses to go out in rough weather, but if you cruise you are going to get caught out there at times. Was there a lot of roll? Are stabilizers a must? They are heavier boats than what I am used to, so that has to help. My hope is to find a comfortable boat that will get me north once per year and get me south when it starts to get cold.

What advise would you give for someone considering this boat, for example?

1985 Hatteras 56 Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

I would greatly appreciate your thoughts and advise if you have some time. Thank you in advance

I might can give you a little since ours is a Hatteras. The 56 wide body is a huge vessel. Its limiting factor is docking. Not every slip can accommodate a 18'6" beam. Lots of windage to deal with but very heavy. Docking with two people will be a challenge. There might be as many as 4 Air conditioners (maintenance). Fuel economy isnt too bad, maybe 1 gal/mile (for the size its good). If you entertain guest its very spaceous. Bow thruster is a plus. In the ICW you might need to watch out for shallow spots but doable. Hatteras yachts are known for soft bow pulpits. Its fixable then its done if it hadnt gotten too far gone. In sea conditions stabilizers are nice. The fly bridge is so high off the water it amplifies the rolling motion. Its so heavy it will plow through 4-5 footers with ease. Cleaning a large vessel like this will be a monumental task. My 43 is bad enough. The storage deck will house a large dinghy as you can see the 14' Boston Whaler. Very nice for sight seeing. I would love to live on this huge boat but not want to maintain it. Lots of people are downsizing to the forties. I'm going to a sail boat if possible. Check ours out. No pressure , Ha

1985 Hatteras 43 Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Magnawake mentioned a couple of things I want to emphasize. If I was buying a Hatteras MY, old, new, any size, I would want bow thrusters and stabilizers of some type. All that I've been on have needed them. Now for the type cruising you intend as well as anchoring and docking perhaps you can get by without the stabilizers, but that wouldn't be something I'd suggest. The bow thrusters are absolute though.

Thats Georges old boat so I bet he can enlighten us on whats its like. I bet you George would drive that big thing anywhere he wants without a bow thruster. Just a guess though. Some people want a thruster on a 43 MY. I have never needed it even when the wind is honking. I just cant see behind me so thats the limiting factor.

I might can give you a little since ours is a Hatteras. The 56 wide body is a huge vessel. Its limiting factor is docking. Not every slip can accommodate a 18'6" beam. Lots of windage to deal with but very heavy. Docking with two people will be a challenge. There might be as many as 4 Air conditioners (maintenance). Fuel economy isnt too bad, maybe 1 gal/mile (for the size its good). If you entertain guest its very spaceous. Bow thruster is a plus. In the ICW you might need to watch out for shallow spots but doable. Hatteras yachts are known for soft bow pulpits. Its fixable then its done if it hadnt gotten too far gone. In sea conditions stabilizers are nice. The fly bridge is so high off the water it amplifies the rolling motion. Its so heavy it will plow through 4-5 footers with ease. Cleaning a large vessel like this will be a monumental task. My 43 is bad enough. The storage deck will house a large dinghy as you can see the 14' Boston Whaler. Very nice for sight seeing. I would love to live on this huge boat but not want to maintain it. Lots of people are downsizing to the forties. I'm going to a sail boat if possible. Check ours out. No pressure , Ha

1985 Hatteras 43 Motor Yacht Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com
Thank you for the information. You caught my attention when you reminded me of the cleaning. I was hoping reduced cruising would help me get by with maintenance, but you are right, can't avoid the constant cleaning, etc. I am several months away from making the jump, but I also appreciate the info on your 43'.

Thats Georges old boat so I bet he can enlighten us on whats its like. I bet you George would drive that big thing anywhere he wants without a bow thruster. Just a guess though. Some people want a thruster on a 43 MY. I have never needed it even when the wind is honking. I just cant see behind me so thats the limiting factor.
As my crew ages, the thruster becomes more and more beneficial. There is the Captain blaming the crew already. Never had a thruster myself, but I can see many benefits. Also never had the stabilizers. Does that ever sound nice!

Thank you for the information. You caught my attention when you reminded me of the cleaning. I was hoping reduced cruising would help me get by with maintenance, but you are right, can't avoid the constant cleaning, etc. I am several months away from making the jump, but I also appreciate the info on your 43'.
Very, very nice boat! Similar in many ways (design-wise) with the 43' Marine Trader that I had. I am curious about the differences between the boats. The Marine Trader has similar space, but I see the dry weight for the Marine Trader is 27,500 compared to the 34,500 for the Hatteras. The MT lists a abeam of 14'11" compared to 14' for the Hat? On burning 3.5 gph @ 7.5 knots, what rpm are you at? That is very, very good. I ran 1950 rpm with my 240 Cummins and was happy with the 9.5 gph. Again, a very nice boat. I certainly would throw her into the "check this one out" category if I were close to making the jump back into this lifestyle. Thanks for your input on this.

Yes, the hatteras has lots of room. However I have never seen a trawler with same room inside. We have narrow outside walkways and the large sun deck on the aft. We have a whole wicker furniture set on the Sunderland as well. It's great for entertaining and having parties. The draw back is that it's more of a challenge when docking and less room to store a dinghy. I would be crazy if I just told you the good things and not the bad. It's a give and take thing. One should never buy a trawler just for the sole reason of fuel economy. I do get 3.5-4.0 gph at 7-7.5 it's. I usually run at 1200-1300 rpm depending if I'm in a rush ha ha. The 3208 cats are great fuel sippers at less than hull speeds. A friend has a 54 defever with 3208 cats running 8-9 it's burning 6 gph. That's awesome, plus the room is incredible with a stand up engine room. That's a great boat. The 43 hat is very heavy and doesn't like to plane. Some models have. Detriots and perform a little better at high speeds. Another friend with a 46 defever has 3208 and another with a Grand Banks too. The 43 GB has considerably less room than our and if they push it gets horrible fuel economy. But it's a trawler so people relate the name to good fuel economy and long range cruising. I can't figure that out.

Suggestions?

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking at doing the loop in '18. We will be switching from sail to power. Our dream is an American or Nordic Tug but the prices might be too high for our comfort level.

So, we have done endless boat searches on Yachtworld.....we are looking for a trawler/tug style boat in the 34-36 foot range - we do not want a v-berth (had enough of that with our sailboat). We are uncertain about a flybridge and would like a full fridge (although hubby can make modifications for this after purchase).

We are Canadian so we have to keep that in mind as exchange for us right now is 30% + so in the 100,000 US range would be ok...

Have checked out all the usual suspects, Grand Banks, CHB, Marine Trader, Mainship (great but too much money).

Older doesn't scare us as we love the wood and hubby is a mechanic.

So....all boat model suggestions are welcome

Hi Everyone,

My husband and I are looking at doing the loop in '18. We will be switching from sail to power. Our dream is an American or Nordic Tug but the prices might be too high for our comfort level.

So, we have done endless boat searches on Yachtworld.....we are looking for a trawler/tug style boat in the 34-36 foot range - we do not want a v-berth (had enough of that with our sailboat). We are uncertain about a flybridge and would like a full fridge (although hubby can make modifications for this after purchase).

We are Canadian so we have to keep that in mind as exchange for us right now is 30% + so in the 100,000 US range would be ok...

Have checked out all the usual suspects, Grand Banks, CHB, Marine Trader, Mainship (great but too much money).

Welcome. You may want to start a new thread with your own questions.

Unsure of what you mean by a V berth. The NT and AT in that size have a forward cabin with the berth in the bow. They aren't entirely rectangular but aren't the severe V berths that we are used to from our sailboats.

If the price of those is putting you off you may want to look at North Pacific or Helmsman. Much more boat for the dollar although the used boats I believe start at the 39' size.

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps a great topic for your own thread and while you've shared some, perhaps tell us a bit more about yourselves and your goals. How much time would you spend on the boat? How many guests? Other than the loop, any plans? Flybridge is something only you can decide. We like spending the time outside while looping. How much cooking on board vs. restaurants? Docks or anchoring? Importance of style vs. function? Where do you intend to keep the boat?

If you're very kind to one, a moderator would probably be willing to split this out into a thread for you. Just hit the report button on your post and ask them.

Winnowing down...

I have narrowed the entire YW inventory on the West Coast (San Diego to AK) to about 12 boats... I would like to avoid having to travel to look at each individual boat for the purposes of rank-ordering the options (would cost $thousands...). How do I know whether or not a boat in Seattle would be better for my needs than a boat in San Diego? (Without actually going to see both...) Do local TF folks ever get paid to assess boats for other members out-of-area?

Even a 1 or 2-minute glance at these listings, and a gut reaction (i.e. "that one looks good, get it for $____ and see how it surveys, but this other one looks overpriced and problematic, so put that at the bottom") would be helpful - to the extent that one can do this just by looking at listings for a couple minutes... Or am I just hoping for too much?

I am looking for:
85% liveaboard (tied up - I have a F/T job to drive to)
10% offshore fishing (up to 30nm off the coast - salmon, etc.) *Need a fishable cockpit or aft deck, so a davit up top or on bow
5% coastal cruising (Catalina to OR)
Single M, but will be hosting 4 week-long guests a few times per year (family from Ohio) so figure 2 stateroom/2 head, 43-53' LOA
No Cummins 903's, no Volvos, otherwise flexible on power
10kt cruise, 14kt+ max
$100K-200K price range, would like to be on the lower end of that of course, but if I can get a 20-year (last) boat right now, great, I will spend the extra $$$$$ and keep her til I can no longer live aboard safely. Be nice to avoid having to "buy up" in a few years.
Will be paying in cash. Ideally in 3-4 weeks from now. Just sold the house and want to get OTW.

Anyone I can PM these 12 listings to and see what jumps out at them as special, or 'make that one last on the list'...? I could even send out a "top 6" I guess. Rather not post all 12 in the general forum.

I have a broker, just hoping for a second/independent/non-interested opinion... Thanks!

Last edited:
As it turns out, that would have been somewhat of a goose chase. My mistake.

I have learned that seeing more boats locally - even if not the same year or builder - as long as the form factor is the same - will greatly assist in evaluating boats which may be located out of area.

I saw 4 more boats locally and was able to rule out 6 of the ones on my list.

I have made an offer on a clear top choice, and if that doesn't work, I will drive 6 hours to another port to look at 3 of the remaining top 4. If those fail to work, I will see if I can get help with one in Canada.

Hopefully the clear top choice will work out, though. Only took seeing 4 other boats. Not very difficult at all. Lesson learned.

Hello Craig! Take your time as you always get for what you planned for... It took our Vessel 2 years to find us! All the best and kindest regards! Normand

I started looking about three years ago for something completely different than what I ended up with. I don't know about any of you but the built in blender and Ice maker almost got me in the beginning.......

Defining requirements, then research, looking, educating oneself.

Long ago in olden days before the Internet took over, I made a lot of the dumbest purchases imaginable. I'd see something on television or in a store and loved the concept so took it home with me. More kitchen gadgets than one can imagine. But, today, I immediately pull up reviews and ratings. Just the other day, something in Bed, Bath and Beyond looked so cool to me. On Amazon, the item had less than a two star rating. I kept walking.

Well, same thing but more so on boats, since they're far more costly than the kitchen gadgets. I can and do research on line. I haven't pursued any boat that I couldn't find someone who owned one or at least had run one. I also was able to look at thousands online and get a better fix of what was most important to me. Then toss in walking the docks, looking at local boats, and chartering and one can swing the odds greatly in their favor.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom