Your idea of a perfect Anchorage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JohnP

Guru
Vessel Name
V E N T U R E
Vessel Make
1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
Asssuming the anchorage is safe, good holding ground and decent views, which of these options*would make it perfect?

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 17th of January 2011 12:55:00 PM

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 17th of January 2011 12:56:22 PM

-- Edited by JohnP on Monday 17th of January 2011 12:58:11 PM

Sorry folks somehow I lost the poll by editing my post!!!!!

I got it Back!!!!!!!!!!!

I wonder how these poll results would differ on the SEARAY FORUM?

With the exception of a tiny handful of people, we are not social boaters. Our idea of boating is completely empty anchorages.* We bought the boat to get away from people, not to meet or be with them.* *For this reason we avoid whenever possible--- which is most of the time--- marinas other than little funky ones with few people and boats. We have made exceptions from time to time but it's not our preference.

Met a man a few years ago who has a Harley-Davidson and takes a lot of trips with it. We chatted about his trips for a few minutes and then I asked him a few questions about different Harley models and so on. He stopped me and said, "I like OUR Harley and what we do with it. But I'm not all that interested in Harley's or what other people do with them."* I thought that was an excellent summary of how we feel about boating.

This is a blog entry I wrote when we had four grand children for a week in the Bahamas.* Even teenagers can find anchorages magical.

I am writing this swinging on the anchor behind Bakers Rock at Tahiti Beach on the South end of Elbow Cay.* The water is calm and gently rolling with an almost full moon hanging in the sky like a lamp behind me.* Sound idyllic?* You bet it is!* All*six of us laid on the bow to watch the stars and moon reflecting off the water.* Absolutely one of the most pleasant nights that I have spent at anchor.

The picture is of Quarter Cove, Wye River East Maryland

-- Edited by Moonstruck on Monday 17th of January 2011 03:36:56 PM

Attachments

• img_0882.jpg
    img_0882.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 94
I would add an additional line.......

85deg. air, 82deg. water,* 10' deep crystal blue water... and no rain....

HOLLYWOOD

We spend the majority of the year at anchor. We like solitude but we also like the social aspects and to get to know the locals, but it's our choice. The thing that is important to us is shore acess. Even in the most remote anchorages, we like to get off the boat.

Larry/Lena
Hobo KK42
Zihuatanejo, MX

I voted for the quiet anchorage but honestly, it really depends on our mood. I like the quiet ones a lot but I also like the semi-populated anchorages, as well as (occasionally), the fun party anchorages. Historically though, pre-trawler purchase, our weekends were spent in quiet, somewhat isolated anchorages but we would raft up 3-5 boats with friends from the docks and spend our weekends all hanging out together...talking, swimming, and just enjoying our friendship and time together. So I guess my real vote is "all the above." *I just don't do well with rap music though so party coves with THAT much nonsense are a bit much for me!

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 17th of January 2011 03:33:00 PM

Attachments

• dscf1401.jpg
    dscf1401.jpg
    263.4 KB · Views: 99
  • dscf3342.jpg
    dscf3342.jpg
    115.4 KB · Views: 94
  • 8fathersday.jpg
    8fathersday.jpg
    41.2 KB · Views: 102
I don't mind having a few boats around but I do not like being crowded or having jetskis or water skiers around because of the wakes and noise they usually make.
Steve W

Steve wrote:

I don't mind having a few boats around but I do not like being crowded or having jetskis or water skiers around because of the wakes and noise they usually make.
Steve W
Ditto, Only no waterskiers or jet skis to worry about . Waters is to cold In Alaska

SD

Woodsong wrote:

I voted for the quiet anchorage but honestly, it really depends on our mood. I like the quiet ones a lot but I also like the semi-populated anchorages, as well as (occasionally), the fun party anchorages. Historically though, pre-trawler purchase, our weekends were spent in quiet, somewhat isolated anchorages but we would raft up 3-5 boats with friends from the docks and spend our weekends all hanging out together...talking, swimming, and just enjoying our friendship and time together. So I guess my real vote is "all the above." *I just don't do well with rap music though so party coves with THAT much nonsense are a bit much for me!

-- Edited by Woodsong on Monday 17th of January 2011 03:33:00 PM

I agree with you. There are times that we just want to be the only boat in a secluded anchorage and other times that we want company, whether it be quiet or party company. In Maine, and probably to a greater extent in the PNW, you can do both. Marina life is out for us, both because there few around and expensive and because that life just does not appeal. I realize that in some areas of the country marinas may be the only place to keep a boat, but it is not the norm here and I am happy with that. Looking forward from the depths of winter to another season ahead on the water with and without company.

Attachments

• owl labor day gam33_mg_6070.jpg
    owl labor day gam33_mg_6070.jpg
    225.2 KB · Views: 95
Sometimes we meet up with boating friends at an anchorage, but for the most part, I like the anchorage where you can't see a single building, light, or antenna tower.

On the otherhand, our marina (no livaboards) is a social place.* Some folks drive four hours and spend the weekend.* We will stay also even though it's only a few miles from home.* We share food or go out to restaurants in a group.* We have lots of friends at our marina but when we go out, most of the time it's by ourselves.

-- Edited by rwidman on Monday 17th of January 2011 05:56:11 PM

Where we are in New Jersey its next to impossible to find a completely emtpy anchorage. Even during our Chesapeake runs each year its tough. Our best days are a small raft up of 2-3 boats in an area without water skiers and jet ski's. we enjoy watching classic boats going by under power and sail.
John

charles wrote:

INGRAM BAYOU immediately off the Gulf ICW at Orange Beach, Al.
Look it up on activecaptain.com
It is my favorite on the Gulf coast.

Check out BARBER Marina next door a new place that is fantastic, built extremely well and, obviously, not with an eye toward profitability, that is first class.
Really good collection of antique outboard motors.
The deck around the ship's store and facilities is TEAK.
Big buildings for repair and inside painting facilities for yachts, big yachts.
CCC
Charles, Barber Marine had no such facility when I had my boat at Orange Beach.* That is beautiful, and I wish them well.* Just don't see how they can afford that investment.

There was however some good food in the area.* Bear Point Restaurant just across the GICW, Wolf Bay Lodge, and Pirates Cove were all close by.* Really enjoyed that area.

My idea of the perfect anchorage.... 8' deep, the bow stays pointed into the trades... just East of Saba Rock resort ... Virgin Gorda, BVI.** About the only annoyance is an occasional kite boarder
HOLLYWOOD

-- Edited by hollywood8118 on Monday 17th of January 2011 10:53:57 PM

Attachments

• dsc04642.jpg
    dsc04642.jpg
    176.6 KB · Views: 106
No jet skis , no noisemakers , no wind generators .

Warm enough to dive in.

Cruising up in New England, we anchor out a lot.* Here's my list in ascending order of importance:

4.* Potentially good fishing from onboard or kayak.

3.* Good holding ground and shelter from strong prevailing wind.

2.* While number of anchored boats not a major issue, as long as we can swing clear of each other, we do place limits on loud radios, crowds, generators, and dinghies running around the anchorage.

1.* Easy access to shore for 2 daily relief trips for our 15 pound terrier.* It's unbelievable that this is #1, but that's the way it is.* If access gets you to town for provisions, walking or bike riding, that's a plus.

Puffin_NT32 wrote:

1.* Easy access to shore for 2 daily relief trips for our 15 pound terrier.* It's unbelievable that this is #1, but that's the way it is.* If access gets you to town for provisions, walking or bike riding, that's a plus.

*I have an 8 pound pomeranian. I don't take her ashore.* Afraid an eagle would get her. Don't laugh it does happen.* I use a small piece of astroturf out on the deck. Out side is outside the cabin.
Deck wash takes care of everything.

SD

Our 18-lb Border Terrier goes onboard too.* We took an "astroturf" doormat, cut it to fit in an upturned Rubbermaid tub lid, and attached it with zip ties on one end.* It's easy to dump and rinse overboard.* In the PNW with huge tides, it's nice not to have to go ashore if we don't want to.

Given the weather possibilities on the Inside Passage, our priorities are:

1.* A cove or inlet with enough swing room, good holding ground with a workable depth, and protection from long fetch in most directions.

2.* Scenic beauty (almost guaranteed).

Being the only boat is nice, but other boats often add to the ambience.* The variety of fishermen and cruisers we see is a pleasure, and in such remote country there's not too much loud music/partying.

-- Edited by RCook on Wednesday 19th of January 2011 10:19:46 AM

Attachments

• img_3895.jpg
    img_3895.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 103
"Scenic beauty (almost guaranteed).

Being the only boat is nice, but other boats often add to the ambience.* The variety of fishermen and cruisers we see is a pleasure, and in such remote country there's not too much loud music/partying."

Richard:

I have no idea what you're talkin' about ...

OS

img_38274_0_dc8d9232e19c620a9148ce58ebe3bcc9.jpg

Old_Salt wrote:
Richard:

I have no idea what you're talkin' about ...
Great shot!

Stern tied in a well protected spot.

Shrimp pot bouy within sight of the boat.

77 degree water for swimming

85 degree air temp

Surrounded by steep hills

An iced Mint Julep

This particular photo is all of the above.

Attachments

• 2009.jpg
    2009.jpg
    145.2 KB · Views: 106
B Shan:
I have your picture, blown up to 16x24, up on my family room wall. It was taken one hot august afternoon, with Retreat tied back to the little island your boat is facing, and no other boats in sight. The water was over 75 deg F and life is good! That pic was before digital cameras, so I can't post it. Need I say that is an anchorage I try to get to every summer.
Anywhere in Pendrell Sound is good, but from that spot you can actually get to shore for a long walk along the logging roads. I have gone all the way to Raza Passage, about 5 miles.
Now that I know, I'll watch for you there. I don't carry the fixings for mint julep, so I'll be over. I do carry supplies for other tasty hot weather drinks.

Hi Keith,

I have been on the walk - there is a newer road (2009) that parellels the inlet heading SW somewhat.

You are certainly welcome to a julep - It has become my preffered afternoon drink of choice since a visit to New Orleans a few years ago.

I too think Pendrell must be one notch shy of heaven. Who woulda thought you could dive off your boat without a wetsuit north of Cabo?

This pic is at the end of the sound - I use it as a desktop on my computer

Attachments

• desol.jpg
    desol.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 110
I believe everybody that does Desolation Sound has one of these shots.. about as good as it gets in the PNW... and before the summer crowd gets there its about perfect
HOLLYWOOD

Attachments

• julies pics 2008 055.jpg
    julies pics 2008 055.jpg
    204.9 KB · Views: 106
Well its good that my vote was with the majority...:)

We like out of the way places with few other boats, preferably on the lee side of an island to offer a little protection.

Cumberland Island GA offers us one of those spots; and it is loaded with history

-- Edited by marinetrader on Thursday 20th of January 2011 03:05:07 PM

So where does the warm water come from in Pendrall???? I don't exactly think "warmth" with snow capped mountains in the background......

Baker wrote:

So where does the warm water come from in Pendrall???? I don't exactly think "warmth" with snow capped mountains in the background......
********* I would like to know about this too.* Always thought those places had ice cold water all year.** JohnP

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom