Offer Accepted on Californian 42!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi folks,

I just got word that our counter offer on a Californian 42 was accepted! Whoo Hoo!:D

Now the hard part starts. The boat is located in Baja, in La Paz, which is my recent cruising grounds. We will be heading down soon for the survey, sea trial, and haul out. She is outfitted for cruising with genny, inverter, water maker, shade covers, etc. She has up to date electronics, two AC units, and many other things needed for the Sea of Cortez.

I am so excited, as is my wife, who was the driving force behind selling our sailboat to join the "Dark Side", LOL.:thumb:

Oh, she is named "Godzilla":eek: So we are open to any suggestions for new boat names, although it is starting to grow on me.

Here is a link: 1979 Californian 42 LRC Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

Cheers, Bill

Greetings,
Mr. M. Very nicely presented and from the pictures, appears to be well maintained. Have a good sea trial.

Buenos dias! Do you plan to keep her in Baja for a while?

Yes, I do plan on keeping her in La Paz if all goes well. My last boat was down there for 20 months (and one direct hit by Hurricane Odile). It is such an amazing cruising ground, with equally amazing folks where ever you go.

Cheers, Bill

Very nice, Bill - congrats, so far. There is a lot to like about this boat, especially that it looks to have been under responsible ownership. I'm unfamiliar with the "Marshal" (or "Marshall") badge - is that the company that built Californians? In any case, she has several interesting and attractive features. Hope the sea trial etc. go well.

Congrats!!!

Godzilla!!!!
Kewl name, maybe think about keeping that name.
Good luck with your new passion pit!

Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to start learning to drive her (him?). I might just keep the name because I've never heard another Godzilla on the radio!

Cheers, Bill

Congratulations on your new boat! Spent a couple days cruising in La Paz while looking at a Willard 40. Very nice place to cruise! Food was wonderful. Scallop tacos, what a concept!

Ted

Congratulations on the first phase of purchasing, wish you all the best in the survey.

Out of curiosity, getting the documentation is still the same even though its outside the US?

Mike,

Apparently, US boats are bought and sold in Mexico a lot. This company uses an office in Washington to handle all paperwork, including USCG documentation, so the sale actually takes place in the USA (on paper). New papers will be drawn up for my home California port, but the boat will remain in Mexico (avoiding CA sales tax) with a new TIP, which is needed to have a boat in Mexico.

If I had purchased another boat in California, I was just going to head south to La Paz anyway.

Cheers, Bill

A lot of boat for that money!

Very interesting, thanks for sharing, again all the best! :thumb:
Mike,

Apparently, US boats are bought and sold in Mexico a lot. This company uses an office in Washington to handle all paperwork, including USCG documentation, so the sale actually takes place in the USA (on paper). New papers will be drawn up for my home California port, but the boat will remain in Mexico (avoiding CA sales tax) with a new TIP, which is needed to have a boat in Mexico.

If I had purchased another boat in California, I was just going to head south to La Paz anyway.

Cheers, Bill

Nice looking boat, Bill. Hope the survey is as clean as the pictures look.

It's easy to get emotionally attached and lose objectivity before the purchase. I hope you're prepared to walk away if the survey comes back with significant problems.

Keep us posted!

Montenido said:
I just got word that our counter offer on a Californian 42 was accepted! Whoo Hoo!
Nice clean looking boat, Bill, good luck with the process.

It's also a nice clean looking marina, how typical is that for the area?

Thanks for the kind words. I can't wait to start learning to drive her (him?). I might just keep the name because I've never heard another Godzilla on the radio!

Cheers, Bill

Congratulations!!!! You can crank up "Godzilla" by Blue Oyster Cult everytime you enter the marina!!!!:D:D:D:D

It is interesting to note that all most of the exterior wood is painted over.

I'm not surprised. The Baja sun is absolute hell on brightwork. Sand it, varnish it, then start all over again.

All the wood is one of the things that is keeping us away from Defever and GB here in FL. We had it in SoCal, and I grew to hate it... no matter how pretty it was.

That said, congratz to the new owner. I loved cruising in Mexican waters. I just wish we could have done more of it.

It is interesting to note that all most of the exterior wood is painted over.

Hawgwash,
I believe those pictures are from Marina Mazatlan. That was a fairly nice place, but nothing compared to La Cruz, just outside of Puerto Vallarta, or my home marina, Marina De La Paz. All the Mexican marinas that I have been to are clean and well kept.

The brightwork was all stripped, and then primed and painted with epoxy paints. It seems to be holding up very well in the brutal Mexican sun, and I will be happy not to be doing the annual sand and varnish. :thumb:

Thanks for the comments.

Cheers, Bill

Back
Top Bottom