That Rubbery Deck Stuff ???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

David Rive

Vessel Name
currently boatless
I need some advice. My 1985 Ocean Alexander 38 has fiberglass decks that have areas of non-skid "bumps" (sort of little quarter-inch squares) molded into the gelcoat. Laid over top of these areas is a light grey rubberized coating of some sort. There are a few spots on the deck where this rubbery stuff is lifting and peeling, and I am trying to decide what to do about it. So:

1. Can anybody tell me what it may be? ie. brand / product?
2. Is there any solvent that might remove it? (it looks pretty tough)
3. If I can identify the product, can I get more of it and apply it over top?

The problem is obviously if I sand it off I lose the little bumps, which I rather like. :blush:

Thoughts and suggestions are appreciated.

David

Durabak is one brand, I didn't like it.

Kiwigrip is a brand that has become very popular and gets good reviews.

I don't know what the removal protocol would be for either of these coatings.

I am guessing what I have is Kiwigrip. From their website, it looks like I can just apply it fresh over the old coat. A job for next spring.

Hi Bill. It was definitely painted on. I describe it as "rubbery" because in spots where it has peeled back a bit, you can tug it and it has some stretch. The more I read about Kiwigrip the more sure I am that's what I have.

If you operate off shore and need real no skid look at Treadmaster.

1. Lewmar Treadmaster Non-Skid Deck Covering

Lewmar Treadmaster non-skid deck covering provides additional safety and comfort for boaters. For over 30 years, Treadmaster flooring has been used to create non-skid ...

2. Tiflex Limited - Treadmaster - Diamond Pattern - ...

www.go2marine.com/product/97319F/treadmaster...non-skid.htmlCached

Treadmaster, Diamond Pattern, Non-Skid is an aggressive textured mat product that provides superior traction in wet or dry marine environments.

Hi Bill. It was definitely painted on. I describe it as "rubbery" because in spots where it has peeled back a bit, you can tug it and it has some stretch. The more I read about Kiwigrip the more sure I am that's what I have.

OK, just check to see if it could have been Treatmaster or something like it.

I think you should put some effort into removing as much of the old stuff as you can. Painting over stuff that is "lifting and peeling" never works. You probably don't need to strip it all but do remove what will easily pull off. I imagine you would do this without my suggesting it but I just wanted to throw it out there.

If you operate off shore and need real no skid look at Treadmaster.

1. Lewmar Treadmaster Non-Skid Deck Covering

Lewmar Treadmaster non-skid deck covering provides additional safety and comfort for boaters. For over 30 years, Treadmaster flooring has been used to create non-skid ...

2. Tiflex Limited - Treadmaster - Diamond Pattern - ...

www.go2marine.com/product/97319F/treadmaster...non-skid.htmlCached

Treadmaster, Diamond Pattern, Non-Skid is an aggressive textured mat product that provides superior traction in wet or dry marine environments.

Treadmaster, that what I have. Really good stuff.

Attachments

• Boat 2008 036.jpg
    Boat 2008 036.jpg
    106.9 KB · Views: 75

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom