Dock lines - How long do you use them before replacement?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TDunn

Guru
Vessel Name
Tortuga
Vessel Make
Nunes Brothers Raised Deck Cruiser
I have to admit that I keep my dock lines until they show wear then I replace them. Last year that meant that I got less than a season since we had an August storm that severely stressed my dock lines. One actually failed. This year the weather was benign and my dock lines look like new. I switched to 8 strand "brait" lines this year, which may be part of the reason they look new.

I think dock line replacement varies greatly between boating locations, type of line used etc. I use 3 strand and buy it by the 200 ft. roll and make my own loops. I also use chafe protection at the hause pipes. I look for wear and subtleness before replacing and also soil but this can sometimes be washed out.

You should buy new dock lines twice a year! Of course I sell dock lines.
Seriously, when you see wear is when to change them. Mine usually last several years.

I like really long spring lines made fast on my midship cleat. I tie the boat stern in noticeably so boarding is made easier. The Willard has quite curved sides. And of course the bow hangs out a bit. Then I pull one of the spring lines up tight. And if the conditions are challenging (like wind) I tie midships first, then stern and then a fairly slack bow line. Overall I prefer long mooring lines.

Tend to agree with La Bomba, depends on the area and conditions. I tend to use the heaviest line I can that can comfortably fit over the cleats on the vessel especially where we have two lines on each. We currently have 1 inch lines, these wear quite well over the last year or so ,and do not appear to need replacing in the near future.
If there is a forecasted heavy blow coming, I will place a couple of extra lines for peace of mind.

Cheers Chris D Liberty

Mine are seeing their last season...Since they came with the boat I have no idea on how old they are. I have a new set of "Traveling" lines that will likely last forever in that application...
Lines are (relatively) cheap compared to what they're holding. Replace as necessary..

After four years, my lines are still going strong. Have no surge. Use three lines each on starboard and port tied to a total of six dock cleats.

It varies widely by how you use them. Also doing a lot of transient docking we have to replace the starboard lines far more often than the port lines. It recently was three times in a year vs. three years. We actually moved the port to starboard then, just so we'd end up with new port lines followed by new starboard. Fixed docks in areas of large tide differences vs. floating docks are a big difference in wear.

I use three strand nylon for my permanent dock lines at my home slip. These stay on the dock when I leave. I recently just changed out some of the lines that were about 10 years old, only because they were looking too ratty for my wife. I am in a protected slip in a protected harbor and use 6 lines to tie up the boat. 2 bow, 2 stern, and 2 spring.

You should buy new dock lines twice a year! Of course I sell dock lines.
Seriously, when you see wear is when to change them. Mine usually last several years.
Dang Parks....:socool:

I'm moving to a new slip the first part of next week and currently use 5/8' nylon dock lines. Blue of course. Once I find my sweet spot I plan on having some 3 strand 5/8 lines made the correct length at Ken's Hardware in Gulfport for the "stay" dock lines. I've managed to splice a few eyes and what not through the years- but never really got the hang of it. Hopefully the charge for splicing includes a training session- cause I really want to learn this.

As already mentioned conditions in your slip make a huge difference. My charter boat slips in a very protected basin with no water movement other than tide, and great wind protection. The dock lines are over 10 years old. Full disclosure, I do clean and then soak my anchor lines in a fabric softener solution when the boat goes on the hard for the winter. It keeps them soft and easy to work with. Trawler will be docked in a similar environment in FL. Trawler will have a tougher time at the dock on Chesapeake Bay, much more open to the wind and a lots more boat traffic.

Have never bought lines for the charter boat. People regularly foul their anchor when wreck fishing and have to cut the rope. Find these 100 to 200' lengths on the bottom, bring them up and make dock lines out of them. Probably have 1, 500' of 1/2" nylon sitting in the garage. Need to find some fishermen that use 3/4" anchor line. :rolleyes:

Ted

I bought some 5/8" 3 strand nylon to make up dock lines at a good price, and it only lasted a year before starting to fray. Other lines are 3 years old without any sign of wear. Beware of the bargains.

I keep my dock lines as short as possible, especially at the stern cleat. I try to ensure none of the lines will reach the prop from the boat cleat.

AusCan brings up a good point. There is a difference in 3 strand nylon rope. Most people like nice soft line because it's nice in your hand and usually cheaper. Unfortunately nice soft lay rope wears faster than medium or hard lay. If you want a line that will last buy a name brand like Samson or New England. These ropes will be preshrunk by heat treating them. They will feel harder than cheap ropes but they will last longer.

We're having an ongoing battle with at my state owned and operated marina. There's the two percenters who tie up their boats with binder twine, old shoe laces, or whatever is handy that create a problem. Management response? The legal whiz kids decided that all dock lines must be no older than 2 years. In responding to this idiocy, several of us conducted some hard research on the longevity of dock lines. Answer - we were unable to find any reliable reference (not manufacturers and distributors [except Parks], USCG, insurors, AWWO, ASTM, etc., etc.) that so much as suggested a maximum useful lifetime or replacement schedule for nylon line.

There are plenty of common sense evaluation points, as noted above, but no objective criteria.

A lot of people think "stiffness" is a indicator of the line "wearing out" - my experience is that washing and fabric softener as OC suggests will restore a more agreeable hand. I look for chafe, fraying, and consistent lay. I also retire storm lines (dedicated, that only see the light of day when needed) after a serious blow (Isaac, for instance) when they've experienced substantial stretch.

Why the love affair with 3 strand?
Always used braided nylon for everything.

3 strand is cheaper, easier to splice, believe stretches more for the same load, and it's what's available on the bottom of the ocean for free. :)

Ted

I too use braided nylon. I think the braided nylon preference in BC is a regional thing.

My guess is they are easier to tie on to bullrails as they are slippery like a snake.

Mine are about 8 years old. Need to replace a bow line thus year. I replace due to on wear to the outer braid. The kernmantle always looks good when I cut them open.

We like it because it doesn't seem "squeak" as much. The 3 strand, when at a dock that has a lot of movement, for us, it's quieter as the line stretches when Hobo's moving around due to wind/current.

What commends 3 strand for my use is the balance of cost, shock absorption, and strength. Using New England Rope's data, for a 5/8" line - 3 strand stretch at @ breaking strength is 12-20% vice 6.5-15% for double braid. Breaking strength is 12,200 3 strand vice 13,500 double braid. Cost (just using WM for quick - I buy it through my local yard for considerably less) - 3 strand $1.77/LF vice double braid $3.14/LF.

For about 60% of the cost (3 strand vs braided) you get 90% of the strength and 35% more stretch at max load. It works for me.

We use braided nylon for mooring lines, although everything I have heard or read confirms OC's comments on the advantages of 3-strand.

We replace our mooring lines when they start to show signs of wear. When they get stiff we soak them in a bucket with fabric softener and then rinse them out. We get quite a few years of service out of a mooring/dock line. We used to use New England Rope lines but starting a few years ago switched to Samson when we need to buy a new line.

O C Diver said:
easier to splice and it's what's available on the bottom of the ocean for free.
Well, some people just have different habits and hobbies, I guess. Buy a big expensive dive boat so you can go down to scavenge for bits of prop chopped rope to splice together and call it a line.
:hide:
I'm with the Spy. Only time I've seen 3 strand in BC is on boats with laundry hangin' from those really tall masts.

We're having an ongoing battle with at my state owned and operated marina. There's the two percenters who tie up their boats with binder twine, old shoe laces, or whatever is handy that create a problem. Management response? The legal whiz kids decided that all dock lines must be no older than 2 years.

That's ridiculous! When the marina does their annual "stalk" to identify boats owing property tax, they could just as well do inspection of lines and identify those that are obviously in need of replacement. Jurisdictions without property tax? They should do a periodic inspection regardless. And they should figure out how to dispose of boats who haven't paid for berthage in six months.

How about your neighbours lines?

The boat we share a slip with is a lot heavier than ours and I've never seen the owner on it once. Several times a year I check out how his lines are doing, and let the marina know when there's an issue. Last time I checked one of the lines had worn through the sheath with nothing but core left. The marina figured that was the last straw and it's now on stands in the yard. It would have done some serious damage to our boat if it ever broke free while a north wind was blowing!

For stiff lines try putting them in a garbage bag with a bucket or two of water with fabric softener. Put it in a tub in the back of a pickup, or car trunk, and drive around as usual for a couple of days the sloshing will clean and soften it up, rinse well.

Maybe the Candian dollar is doing better than I thought.

As has been pointed out, 3 strand is cheaper, stronger, more stretch, and lasts forever. That is why I use them for our permanent dock lines at the home slip.

We keep a full set of braided mooring lines on the boat to use when away. It is easier on the hands, more flexible, and frankly looks better.

dhays said:
Maybe the Candian dollar is doing better than I thought.
Most Canadians bought their braided lines many years ago when the buck was higher than yours.

We keep a full set of braided mooring lines on the boat to use when away. It is easier on the hands, more flexible, and frankly looks better.
That is what prompted the question.

Well, some people just have different habits and hobbies, I guess. Buy a big expensive dive boat so you can go down to scavenge for bits of prop chopped rope to splice together and call it a line.:hide:

What can I say, I like free stuff. Swimming along a shipwreck gathering lobsters and scallops, I find a 150' of brand new 3 strand 1/2" nylon. Cut the rope above the thimble and shove in my game bag. 5 minutes of my time is worth that piece of rope. Guess you have always had enough money where picking up free stuff was beneath you.

Ted

O C Diver said:
Guess you have always had enough money where picking up free stuff was beneath you.
Yup and I guess it'll stay there 'cause I don't have the gear to go down and get it.

...it was a joke Ted...
:confused:

I like 5/8" braid for the bow and stern lines and 1/2" laid line for my springers, since there is so much more stretch in the laid lines. I wore out a braided line in less than a month when it was wrapped around square edged moorings (no cleats) that hadn't been routed on the corners. I had noticed a lot of the long term locals had chain wrapped around the moorings with their mooring lines off of the chain. Now I understand why...

Back
Top Bottom