Drip drip in the fuel tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabe n Em

Guru
Vessel Name
Volans
Vessel Make
2001 PDQ MV 32
While doing some rainy day engine maintenance, I heard some dripping from what sounded like WITHIN the starboard fuel tank after shutdown. Initially I panicked and thought rainwater was leaking in, but after starting up on a sunny day and still hearing dripping (faintly) I'm thinking it's the returned diesel falling into the almost empty tank. :ermm: What say ye? Can you hear the return line on your diesel dripping into the tank after shutdown or should I be looking to polish the tanks?

I never heard it. Return leaking down might mean an air leak. if you don't have a startup problem then it is probably after the IP.. Do you see any fuel stain anywhere along the lines?

If the tank were empty below the level of the pick up then air could get into the system there and perhaps drain it. Have you tried closing the valves one at a time to see what happens?

If engine had been run recently, it could certainly be return fuel dripping in. Check it after engine has been off for a while.

Maybe per chance it is not inside the fuel tank - water line or rain water? Lots of leak spots on a boat.

I can hear the oil dripping inside my engines after a hot shutdown.

Ken

There are plenty of places for leaks sun chaser. This is option one. Option two I think is just the return line. I'll start her up this weekend and we will see.

Boat poker: the tanks are less than 1/4 full. Good suggestion though

Also, I think I need a rainy day for comprehensive testing. ....

Your return lines should be long enough to go to near the bottom of the tank, maybe 3/4 way. This will prevent foaming and siphoning back, but your probably not returning enough for that to matter.
I know when I repowered my old Mainship the Cummins 6BTA returned so much fuel I had to extend the lines deeper into the tank.

"Also, I think I need a rainy day for comprehensive testing. ...."

Someone topside with a water hose / sprayer would suffice. Spray where you think might be leaking.

Check your gaskets on your filler caps first.

Stu

Someone's topside with a water hose / sprayer would suffice. Spray where you think might be leaking.

Check your gaskets on your filler caps first.

Stu

Duh! Haha, thanks. Im ashamed I didn't think of that

Do you have a USB camera to run over the top surface of the tank to look for water? My guess is the return line dripping as the engine heats and expands the fuel.

Check the tank for water with a water indicator paste. Kolor Kut stuff.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom