What waterway is This?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mark, looks like the old railroad ferry from Benicia arriving at Martinez with Mt. Tamalpais in the background. Carquinez Strait, of course!

-- Edited by Giggitoni on Monday 17th of January 2011 12:26:35 AM

Yeah, if this was Oakland there wouldn't be the prominent mountain on the SFO side. But I'm not very familiar with the lower bay which I guess this would have to be if that's Mt. Tamalpias in the background.* Or perhaps somewhere up near San Pablo Bay, but I've never been to that part of the bay area.* I have no idea what the weird bridge structure with the sharp angles in the deck might be unless it's some sort of artist rendering superimposed onto the photo.....

-- Edited by Marin on Monday 17th of January 2011 12:43:49 AM

Don;
Is that what the little yellow thing is about?
We took a couple of weeks in Sept to go boating in the southern gulf Islands in 2008. Constant sunshine, fair winds. Wonderful time to cruise here. Unlike Marin's experience, we found crowds. Over 100 boats in Montague harbour on a Sunday night in mid Sept! Those retirees are taking over!
If you get the chance, cross over to Saltspring Island. many B&Bs so you can stay for as long as you are enjoying yourself.
I woud take the Anacortes ferry to Victoria and then from Swartz Bay to Fulford on Saltspring. Leave Saltspring by Vesuvius to Crofton and drive up to Nanaimo. If you have time to go out to the west coast, go to Tofino. then back from Nanaimp to West Vancouver, see Vancouver before you drive back to Seattle.
We have a house on Saltspring, where we spend a lot of our liesure time, so if you decide to go there, I would be happy to give you some tips on local attractions.

<ul>[*]Thanks.* You guys certainly have been generous in helping here.* I will be putting an itinerary together over the next few months.* When it's fairly well along, I* will post it for review.* Thanks again.[/list]

koliver wrote:

Unlike Marin's experience, we found crowds. Over 100 boats in Montague harbour on a Sunday night in mid Sept!
Interesting.* We've never experienced that in Montegue in September.* Maybe the current economy is slowing things down.* We took friends on a cruise into the Gulf Islands this past September and spent two day at Montegue.* Other than the local boats at the marina and at the docks at the homes around the bay, were were the only boat in the entire marine park other than the summer park hosts, who left while we were there.* So we had the whole place to ourselves--- nobody on the buoys, nobody but us on the dock, and nobody in the campground.* It was wonderful, the way boating is supposed to be.

Marin and Giggitori, you were getting close but were going*wrong too.

This*view is*across San Pablo Strait (connecting San Francisco and San Pablo bays)*looking west from Richmond.* The eastern Richmond-to-San Rafael ferry terminal is in the foreground.* The ugly bridge, completed in 1956, is about to put those ferries out of business.* The bridge undulates because it crossed two shipping and was made cheaply.* Mt. Tamalpais is in the background.

The Martinez-Benicia Bridge at the east of the Carquinez*Strait was completed in 1962 and ended the last auto-ferry operation in the San Francisco Bay Area.* A second highway bridge was opened there in 2007.* Both highway bridges straddle the 1930 Southern Pacific (no Union Pacific) Railroad's bridge.

I remember*riding both ferries when I was a kid.* Cost was*25 cents, per vehicle,*each way.* The bridges now cost $5 per round trip.

Back
Top Bottom