Uh that goes where (elec and comp)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reissue

Veteran Member
New to me boat so I am still chasing where what and why. I have a c80 that's kinda old. Also radar and chartplotter(ray), auto pilot 715 upper 730 lower(cetrek), 162 chartplotter(garman), and a couple speed and depth logs(garman).There is a Ray box that has serius weather? Seatalk on the c80 is connected to radar and gps and that weather box. Is it possible without a degree in theoretical physics to connect at least the c80 to my laptop. I have read the recent post on nav. software and have looked over Raytheon's translational software, and that will be the next task.

What hardware is required, I don't think my unit knows what Bluetooth is. It seems there would be a seatalk to USB. I know there is a ton of info out in the void but I rationalized that someone has to have this set up so why reinvent the wheel. Interfacing all this equipment is perplexing and probably will require some pro help but hoping that with my limited experience in programing along with all the knowledge on here a working platform can happen.

Amazingly the wiring on this old girl was done with considerable amount of pride and that makes any elec. work a little less disheartening. But of course as I brag the devil didn't label a single wire or carrier.

Anyway, any help would be met with humbling praise

How about

Can anyone just tell me how to get my computer to interface with the C80.

If anyone has experience in getting an old Raymarine unit to interface with a windows based laptop it would be on Panbo's site. Does the AP still work OK? That may well be the best benefit of keeping the old setup going.

My old RC70 is still working OK as a plotter. The radar went kaput 5 years ago. Today's stand alone plotters are vastly superior, in all ways.

An IPad is acceptable as a plotter, other than lacking a daylight viewable screen.

Welcome to the world of throw away electronics.

Can anyone just tell me how to get my computer to interface with the C80.

Interface? What for? Download tracks or routes or waypoints? You will need to connect the laptop to the C80 using a NEMA 0183 connection and the laptop will need navigation software that uses a serial port for NMEA 0183.

If you are thinking anything else forget it.

You could just use the laptop with a GPS dongle and connect the laptop to the AP with a NEMA 0183 serial connection.

Back
Top Bottom