Differences Between a Californian 38 and 42 LRC

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Differences between a 42 and 38 LRC

Hi Folks,

I have what seems like some stupid questions, but here goes. I am looking at 42 LRCs, and am also going to look at a 38 LRC to compare them. Besides the obvious difference of more room on the 42, what else would I see?

I plan to use the boat in the Sea of Cortez, and will therefore have to make the voyage down south from SoCal. Will there be a big difference in motion while at sea (sea kindliness) between the two lengths? Their weight is very close, but the waterlines are probably off by 4'. How about at anchor? Would a 38' be less comfortable in swells and waves?

Anything else I should consider? The prices are near the same between the two models. Thanks for any input that you can give me.
(My sailboat is in contract now, so hopefully, I will be a serious shopper/buyer soon).

Cheers, Bill

Sorry, I should have stated that these questions are for Californian trawlers. I assumed since I posted it in the Californian section... Oh well, we know what happens when we assume :D.

Cheers, Bill

Sorry, I should have stated that these questions are for Californian trawlers. I assumed since I posted it in the Californian section... Oh well, we know what happens when we assume :D.

Cheers, Bill

No need to apologize Bill. You probably saw my post before I deleted it. I got to this post via the side bar and didn't realize I was in the Californian section. My bad. You our post is perfectly valid and you have a right to assume that it was Californian since you posted in the Californian section. As you were...

This is what moderators see when a post is deleted...notice my reason....:facepalm: :eek: :confused: :facepalm: :banghead:

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 133
Unless you have personally seen the vessels weighed under identical tankage levels, owner stuff etc, I'd suggest ignoring the weight differential. It comes down to not only a size but a hull, rudder, keel and transom design question as well.

If you provide details on boat makes and years you are comparing that would be helpful. That said, with equal crew capability and a longer waterline - a larger vessel of similar design should be more easily able to handle bigger water.

Well,
I guess it's a moot point now. I just had my offer accepted on a 42 LRC in Mexico.:thumb: I hope all the tests go well.

Cheers, Bill

Good luck. Hope it works out well for you!

Well,
I guess it's a moot point now. I just had my offer accepted on a 42 LRC in Mexico.:thumb: I hope all the tests go well.

Cheers, Bill

Congratulations Bill
You will love the boat and other than the extra 4' of length and a little more room, they are literally the same boat and handle pretty much the same.

Good Luck
Larry B

Back
Top Bottom