GB 42 and like boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

No. You have mis-quoted Bill, which fixes nothing. On the contrary in my view.

If you buy a GB 42 for $125k or under you will be buying a project boat. Beyond the 'doing some work' stage. It will quite easily end up costing you 100% of purchase price to get a half decent result, and it still wont be up to the standard you could have got for the same money. Typically people will get back 50-70% of the money they spend on R&M. So you win by buying one that has already had the work done, even if doing some of the work yourself. I looked at quite a lot of 'em before going off in a different direction.

Even at $170k or so there will still be stuff needing to be done but you will be able to do it over time. There shouldn't be any crises need immediate attention. I found a couple at that level that I almost moved on.

Now your budget is a nice amount of money, no question. You should be able to get a very nice boat. But if you try to stretch to a GB 42 with it, it might well end in a sorry mess instead.

Last edited:

Seriously!?

I might be wrong of course, but as a professional I've alway thought it was my duty to everything I can to lessen the chances of injury to my crew, owner and guests. As well as possible damage to the vessel.

I guessing the crew of the El Faro would have agreed.

You might want to look at the DeFever'.

Yes. Lots of storage, big ERs and designed and built for off shore passages.

BTW, Insequent did as thorough a job possible on his refit of the OA 50. I for one listen to him carefully

Re Daddyo's remarks about the GB the DF isn't w/o fault either.

I wouldn't kick a GB out of contention for their lack of being the perfect perfect storm boat. I'm partial to FD boats and the DF in not but the're very good boats .. as are the GB's. Flare is not all of the "wet boat" issue (that I'm sure most GB owners don't consider much of an issue (if at all)) but other features are a big part of it .. like a very far fwd wheelhouse w lots of glass. That has it's own ramifications that I'm sure Daddyo has considered in his remarks. Trawlers aren't passagemakers and if one was to consider the optimum layout for a passagemaker one would'nt want one either.

I don't think seaworthyness is a negative w the GB. Not a glowing positive either.

Last edited:
Ok so now I'm confused.
Sounds like Daddyo wouldn't take a GB 42 outside the Chesapeake or over to Freeport and Marin would shy away from an Alaska run. Bill thinks it would be fun to cruise one back from PR.

I went back and read what Daddyo said about the GB and didn't find it that damming at all. I don't think they are so lacking in bouyancy fwd. they have a deep forefoot giving bouyancy below the level of the keel on most boats. Never heard of a GB loosing her wheelhouse windows from head seas either.

PR? Prince Rupert? Don't need much of a sea boat for that. One of our members paddled those waters in a kayak.

Ok so now I'm confused.
Sounds like Daddyo wouldn't take a GB 42 outside the Chesapeake or over to Freeport and Marin would shy away from an Alaska run.

GBs go to Alaska all the time. Particularly along the Inside Pasage. That's what they're designed to do. What they aren't designed to do are longer open ocean cruises where the chances of being caught out in nasty weather are not insignificant.

My 36 GB was wet in rough seas with spray and water over the bow but it drains real fast. My 46 has spray rails and the ride is quite dry. I'm pretty sure spray rails can be added to any boat.

Wow, you really had to throw the El Faro in here.

It was a little bit of a joke.. As a professional I know what I should and shouldn't go through as well, but since y'all know me so well

Wow, you really had to throw the El Faro in here.

It was a little bit of a joke.. As a professional I know what I should and shouldn't go through as well, but since y'all know me so well

Well, I'm afraid I missed the humor.

Since I really don't know you at all. :D

Ocean Alexander built some nice SD trunk cabin boats (and sedans) in that size range. No exterior teak....spectacular interior teak. Efficient hull design compared to GB, dry in the rough stuff (GB are notoriously "wet " with lots of bow spray). High quality builds. Also some nice sun deck layouts in the 42-46 range (if outside space has value to your spouse). Take a look...most folks like what they see. Very loyal following.
:thumb::thumb:

Very true! But it did make a lot of old ones!:blush:
Thus the saying: "There are old sailors, and there are bold sailors, but there are no old bold sailors"

No, I'd do it in a heart beat.

Your going in the right direction. It's island hopping. And I'd pick my weather and have no schedule. :D

I mean it more than likely got there on its own bottom.
Sure, it definitely got there some time in the past 30 years. Will it make it back over 1,000 miles of open ocean ("hopping" by the DR and Cuba)? Good thing you can afford to wait until after hurricane season ends next month. If you're serious, why not offer to do it on a fixed delivery fee! You won't need to buy fluids - the ER is packed with them! :)

OK, so Capt. Bill is in favor of buying a 30 year old GB that's located a thousand miles from the US, and another thousand miles from the home port. Because, you know, there aren't any GBs in the US.

So maybe I'm the only one who thinks this is a "bad idea" ®

As an owner of 2 GBs over the years I concur that it's a very bad idea.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom