Best value in a trailerable trawler

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
There is also Marinaut. It is aimed at the C-Dory type crowd.

Marinaut Boats Home

The more common C-Dorys come as 22' or 25' cruisers. The 22 can be had in cruiser or angler configuration (anglers trade a smaller cabin for a bigger cockpit).

There is also the Venture 23 and 26. These are upscale versions of the CD 22 and 25. The outfitting and finish are a bit more posh.

read with interest all postings on this subject and thought to again post on the same as the information is very valuable and to refresh the question if is anything new or new ideas since first posted in 2015?
My question is the same.
Still hanging on to my sailing however anticipate a change of boating style.
Been looking at most of the suggested possibilities here.
Any new ideas?
thank very much

We're very happy with our Albin-25. We are able tp tow her anywhere in N America with a 250 Dodge Diesel Extended Cab.

thank you
I like the line of Tugs however always gets stopped at the prices they carry.
Have looked at some of the mini trawlers that have outboards and as outboards find them attractive for servicing as well to ease the maneuvering docking n tight spaces the question is where to stow the fuel?
Like the C Dory 28 and seems the one more likely for my needs as well as budget.
I am familiar with CD as I currently sail a 1987 CD MKII 30 and just returned from a summer season cruising the North East.
Age and physical issues started to crop in and suspect will need to start to downsize expectations and goals.
I can see something on the order of some of the models discussed here to put on a trailer and either drive myself or somebody does the driving.
I live in Morehead City and this summer really enjoyed Nova Scotia, not so much the sailing to and return.
A trailerable
certainly will give me the choice of spending time south without the hassle of getting there via ICW

The Rossbergs take my fancy. Nice layout good viewing from inside light enough for 2 axle trailer and towing.
The option of having 2 thumping big outboard motors when you want / need to get across the remainder of a quickly deteriorati ng ocean is comforting.

Eric, a good boat, I looked at them before getting my boat.
But didn't like the cave below and they are VERY wet.
A plus is the flat bottom - if you like beaching and shallow inlets.
A pretty nice boat otherwise.

thank you
Have looked at some of the mini trawlers that have outboards and as outboards find them attractive for servicing as well to ease the maneuvering docking n tight spaces the question is where to stow the fuel?
Like the C Dory 28 and seems the one more likely for my needs as well as budget.
I am familiar with CD as I currently sail a 1987 CD MKII 30 and just returned from a summer season cruising the North East.
Age and physical issues started to crop in and suspect will need to start to downsize expectations and goals.
I can see something on the order of some of the models discussed here to put on a trailer and either drive myself or somebody does the driving.
I live in Morehead City and this summer really enjoyed Nova Scotia, not so much the sailing to and return.
A trailerable
certainly will give me the choice of spending time south without the hassle of getting there via ICW

There is a big difference between a C-Dory and a Cape Dory. C-Dory does not make a 28 model (or a 30) So I think you are referring to the Cape Dory line in your post.

Even though this is an old thread, it has recently been revived. Some posters talk about just trailering their boat from home to the dock and back. Others talk about serious, cross country trailer/cruising.

Here is a thread from the C-Brats site which talks about the latter, thousands of miles each year, wow!!

The C-Brats :: - Have Boat, Will Travel

David

There is a big difference between a C-Dory and a Cape Dory. C-Dory does not make a 28 model (or a 30) So I think you are referring to the Cape Dory line in your post.

Sorry
you are right
was referring to Cape Dory
their prices are more within the range am looking into.

I saw this ad today and thought it interesting. Could this be a “trailerable trawler”. It’s obviously not a “trawler”, and it’s only trailerable if you have a big ass truck, but it sure would be an interesting boat to blast over to the Bahamas! Cramped looking inside but sleeps 4 allegedly.

Adjustments.JPG
https://corpuschristi.craigslist.org/boa/d/corpus-christi-2006-century-3200/7011422605.html

C-Dory does not make a 28 model (or a 30) So I think you are referring to the Cape Dory line in your post.

Don't forget the infamous C-Dory 29. There was one for sale not long ago in the mid-west somewhere.

Last edited:
Some posters talk about just trailering their boat from home to the dock and back. Others talk about serious, cross country trailer/cruising.

Here is a thread from the C-Brats site which talks about the latter, thousands of miles each year, wow!!

David

All you need is a good truck, a good trailer and time. That's the one really appealing aspect of our little boat. We could hook it up behind the F250 and pull it almost anywhere there is a decent ramp.

thank you
A trailerable

I don't know if you are interested in something thats not a stock type boat. But I have had mine to the borders of Maine and almost to Key West by trailer. I launch it for day trips to Ocracoke and tow it with a half ton truck without a problem. Shoot me a PM if you wish . We are local and it works in our sandbar infested regions while doing well in the Chesapeake Bay over this past summer.. The trailer is road ready.

Last edited:
I don't know if you are interested in something thats not a stock type boat. But I have had mine to the borders of Maine and almost to Key West by trailer. I launch it for day trips to Ocracoke and tow it with a half ton truck without a problem. Shoot me a PM if you wish . We are local and it works in our sandbar infested regions while doing well in the Chesapeake Bay over this past summer.. The trailer is road ready.
=================================
PM sent

Attachments

• Sun Smiles.jpg
    Sun Smiles.jpg
    92.6 KB · Views: 16

Attachments

• 1971 Cargile Cutter Advertising Flyer.jpg
    1971 Cargile Cutter Advertising Flyer.jpg
    42.9 KB · Views: 20
Trailerable, is subjective, many boats are trailerable that are often thought not to be. Here is my Nauset 28, its a downeast and performs well at trawler (hull) speed.

Nauset 28 is a fine boat, almost bought one a few years ago. Never thought of it as trailer-able but I guess anything is possible if you have a big enough truck and trailer. I've been on them in boat shows but never under operation. My understanding is that they will also plane and cruise nicely in the teens?

Cargile Cutter. Last one made around 1980. Came on/with a trailer.

Their advertising photo seems to indicate it can fly. Several feet of air?

Even though this is an old thread, it has recently been revived. Some posters talk about just trailering their boat from home to the dock and back. Others talk about serious, cross country trailer/cruising.

David

One of my other boats is a 16' C-Dory. Probably the smallest practical pocket cruiser available (actually, they stopped making the 16). No truck necessary for towing. I pull it just fine with a 4 cyl. Santa Fe Sport turbo. 20 mpg when towing, 8 mpg on the water. Sleeps two. Forced air heat. Induction stove. 23 gl gas tank. 22 knots top.

Yes, it's like backpacking, but I've got to do multiple day cruises on the West Coast of Vancouver Island. Barkley, Clayoquot, Nootka, Kyuquot, Quatsino, Bruntons. Yellowstone Lake, Lake Powell, Lake Ozette, Snake, Columbia, Broughtons. You know how the charts on your MFD even shows little rivers and ponds? Been there. Your imagination is the limit.

The C-Dory is my off road motorcycle, the Tung Hwa is my highway RV.

Back
Top Bottom