Custom braided dock lines

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

O C Diver

Guru
Vessel Name
Slow Hand
Vessel Make
Cherubini Independence 45
Looking to buy a set of custom braided dock lines for transient docking. My every day dock lines will stay at my normal slip. Don't need the boat name embroidered on them, just large loops for pilings, specific lengths, maybe chafing gear in the loop, and a choice of colors. So who do you like for made to order dock lines?

Ted

Learned to splice my own braid back when we sailed, never forgot how but the book comes in hand every now and then......:facepalm:

Just did 5 new transient dock lines for the boat with 14" loops that slip over both horns on the hawse pipe cleats......:thumb:

Attachments

• IMG_20151007_155040.jpg
    IMG_20151007_155040.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 128
Last edited:
Learned to splice my own braid back when we sailed, never forgot how but the book comes in hand every now and then......:facepalm:

Just did 5 new transient dock lines for the boat with 14" loops that slip over both horns on the hawse pipe cleats......:thumb:
Bought the book and tools but figured since I was going to buy new line, would see how much more for someone else to do it professionally.

Ted

Looking to buy a set of custom braided dock lines for transient docking. My every day dock lines will stay at my normal slip. Don't need the boat name embroidered on them, just large loops for pilings, specific lengths, maybe chafing gear in the loop, and a choice of colors. So who do you like for made to order dock lines?

Ted

Rope Inc. in Fort Lauderdale

Bought the book and tools but figured since I was going to buy new line, would see how much more for someone else to do it professionally.

Ted

Our local chandlery charges $10.00 per splice when you buy the line from them....:thumb:

When travelling you never know what you will find. Fat or twin poles, dock cleats only, poles too tall, others putting their line over yours and a zillion other issues.

I have always used lines without spliced loops. Instead I use bowlines as required by the situation. If I need a big or small loop I have it. If someone drops their line over mine I can untie the knot. In decades of visiting different docks I never regretted not having spliced loops. And yes I can splice.

Oh yes and either end can go to the dock.

When travelling you never know what you will find. Fat or twin poles, dock cleats only, poles too tall, others putting their line over yours and a zillion other issues.

I have always used lines without spliced loops. Instead I use bowlines as required by the situation. If I need a big or small loop I have it. If someone drops their line over mine I can untie the knot. In decades of visiting different docks I never regretted not having spliced loops. And yes I can splice.

Oh yes and either end can go to the dock.

Was only going to put a spliced loop in one end. :rolleyes:
I'll think about it. Have had loops in the end of my lines for the last 30 years. Haven't had a problem yet.

Ted

I have 3/4" 8 plait for my regular lines, with 18" eyes and chafe protection on the loops. I bought the line from Defender and had them make the lines for me.

I have 40' of 3/4" 8 plait laying at my feet now that I am going to splice tonight for my snubber. Bacon in Annapolis had it $1 a foot less than Defender.

Thanks for all the input!

Ted

It's easy to splice three strand. But I only use it for storm lines. Three strand will eat gel coat where braided lines do not.

Ted, I do the three strand splicing for my customers but we farm out the double braid to Miami Cordage. They do excellent work. I like to carry six dock lines, each about the length of the boat, with three foot eyes in one end.

One reason to use eye splices on one end of your dockline is that it retains 85-90% of rope strength. Professional splices can be even higher. Whereas a bowline will likely have only 60% of the rope strength. Now your dockline may be sufficiently oversize that this does not matter. Is it oversize, or not? There are shock loads to consider as well.

Of course you still have the other end to tie off as well, either on the boat or dock depending on your preference. I dont know the strength of a cleat hitch but suspect its higher than using a bowline as well since there is some capacity to stretch and tighten under load.

One reason to use eye splices on one end of your dockline is that it retains 85-90% of rope strength. Professional splices can be even higher. Whereas a bowline will likely have only 60% of the rope strength. Now your dockline may be sufficiently oversize that this does not matter. Is it oversize, or not? There are shock loads to consider as well.....
That makes sense.I was once involved in a boat lift sling failure, learning there are multiple ways to use slings and it makes a substantial lift capacity difference. Fortunately the Admiral is a hot splicer.

I have always used lines without spliced loops. Instead I use bowlines as required by the situation. If I need a big or small loop I have it. If someone drops their line over mine I can untie the knot.

put what ever size eye your comfortable with. If you need larger, pull a bight through existing eye.

Yeah, we do these. I big bowline loop pre-tied on the heavier line we usually use as a spring while docking. Pull a bight through for most of the other lines. Customize as the situation dictates.

I've also begun to use a bight-through-the-loop on the piling end odfour home slip, with a bowline loop at the other end to pre-set lengths. Usually crew can just lay the bowline loop over the appropriate cleat. Extra length at the standing end allows lengthier adjustment (without disturbing the loop) when tides dictate.

And different colors for lines of different purpose.

Both especially useful when we have visiting "crew" on board ("lay the gold line loop on the mid-ship cleat, get your fingers and thumbs out of the way...").

-Chris

I like having larger eyes with chafe guard on the spring lines. As noted, stronger than a bowline, and one less piece of prep. With high freeboard, makes it easy to snag a cleat on a floating dock, and you can depart without having someone on the dock or futzing with doubling a line back. Also like adjusting the lines from the boat. You can always deploy the pass-through loop if needed.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom