View Single Post
Old 01-16-2011, 07:46 AM   #94
JohnP
Guru

City: Toms River
Vessel Name: V E N T U R E
Vessel Model: 1996 36' Island Gypsy Classic
RE: Your boating history...

Lets See,* My Grandparents had a Summer home on a small lake in North Jersey. They gave the boat house to my parents to use as for their Summer weekends.* My Mom said my Sister and I had hammocks suspended from the rafters as cradles. My Dad loved to fish and hunt.* As early as I can remember I was out in his boat on the lake.

I used to walk or hitch a ride 3+ miles to town with gas can in hand for some .25 cent gas.* Anyway by the time I was 10 years old I was pretty much hooked. Around that time I was taken to the Asbury Park Boat Show and that sealed the deal. I fell head over heels for a shiny black 1968 Morgan 34 Sloop. Of course I was pretty sure that it was never going to be in my Xmas stocking.

My Dad could not see much point in sailing but somehow I was gifted my first boat an 11' Snark Sailboat.* This started my boucing back in forth from power to Sail.

Boat #2 was bought with paper route funds.* A* 1950s 17' Dunphy runabout.
Around this time the lake properties were sold to the State because they were in an area that would be 50' underwater when the reservoir was built.* It has not happened to this day and the homes were demolished years ago.

I brought the Dunphy home and over the winter built a cabin on it as I was going to take it down the Shore and use it to stay over. I was in my* teens.
The made over boat looked great (to me) and I named her "Yankee"

My other Grandparents had a place on the Jersey Shore and we put Yankee in a Marina a few blocks from Grandma's house. The converted Yankee soon proved to small so somehow it got traded in on a Cabin cruiser my parents bought.

Being boatless I got a 16' wood Town Class sloop- very cheap price.* I moored her in a cove by our Marina.** I sailed it a lot and pumped it more. She sunk on her mooring and some how I abandoned her.

My folks bought a waterfront property accross the Bay and took their Boat with them.
I bought boat #4* a 25' wooden Rhodes Idler Sloop with an Atomic Four.( Mystic)

Than # 5** my first glass boat a 26' Pearson Commander Sloop with an outboard in a well.**I* was about twenty now*and taking on further trips with short offshore runs.
The outboard was not really what I wanted.It was*a little scary in inlets and stuff.(Katerina)

Boat 6 came in my early twentys with a full time job and a boat loan.* A two year old Catalina 27 with another Atomic Four* (Grey Eagle)

Boat 7 Was owned at the same time as 6** a 16' Hobie Cat.

I met the Admiral at College nite classes.* We took the 16' Hobie on an offshore cruise around Long Beach Island* great trip but by no means well thought out.

Boat 8 The Admiral and I bought together a 30' Owens 1966 twin V8 gassers.(Compromise)

Boat 9 After the birth of our daughter was a 34 Irwin Sloop- Another Atomic 4 (Princess)

Boat 10* Was an Eddy and Duff* 23'* Stonehorse Cutter-* our first diesel- one cylinder Westerbeke. (Mystique)

Boat 11 Was a 14'* Catalina Day sailor to use on a lake near our home.* First sailboat on a trailer.

Boat 12* Was a 1988 Albin 27 family cruiser.** Diesel aft cabin.*** (Snow Goose)

Boat 13* A 1985 Bristol 35.5 Centerboard Sloop with a Universal Diesel (Yankee)
The jury is still out but this could have been the best boat we owned.

Current Boat #14* 1983 Island Gypsy 32 with a 120 Lehman.* We still like her. ( Adagio)
JohnP is offline   Reply With Quote