FL 120 overhaul

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Yeah, looking at them, that's a definitive test.

My experts would beg to differ with yours.

The mounts on an FL120 are shot when the rubber collapses to the point of metal to metal contact. This is easily discernible by eye. I don't know about the mounts used on other engine types.

One of the "experts" who explained to me how to judge the mounts on an FL120 and also told me the average life expectancy of these mounts is Bob Smith of American Diesel, formerly of Lehman. My guess is that he knows just a wee bit more about these engines than pretty much anyone else.

Although he does still (I assume) recommend adding Marvel Mystery Oil to diesel fuel to increase the lubricity when studies of fuel additives by the truckng industry show that MMO significantly decreases the lubricity of diesel fuel. So maybe he's not quite the expert he's believed to be. Still, I think I'd be inclined to take his advice about FL120 engine mounts over anyone else's. He's certainly proved to be right on the money with the other suggestions he's given me on how to improve our engines.

Last edited:
"So at least I have 3,500 hours. Not that much but I wouldn't mind having a the job job for peace of mind if it's not too expensive."

Hire someone to do a proper compression test.

If its fine , have the injectors tested and rebuilt if required.

When its running again have the valves adjusted.

Keep the anti freez fresh , change the oil on run time OR calendar time , which ever is shorter.

DONE.

Last edited:
One of the "experts" who explained to me how to judge the mounts on an FL120 and also told me the average life expectancy of these mounts is Bob Smith of American Diesel, formerly of Lehman. My guess is that he knows just a wee bit more about these engines than pretty much anyone else.

In that case I'll have to amend my statement. My experts would disagree with your mechanic.

Mechanics are mainly changers of parts. They learn mechanics by doing mechanical work and/or what the boss says to do.

Engineers however design parts and study physics, chemistry, and many other elements of engineering. They would be most likely to know how an engine mount works and the signs of breakdown or failure. The engine manufacturers hire and have access to engineers. They determine maint schedules and anylize oils and other such things. Engineers will know about engine mounts and their knowledge is acessible trough manufacturers.

Mechanics have opinions much like TF members and many TF members are better educated than mechanics. Lehman has never built engines and probably only hires engineers as consultants to solve specific problems. The MMO is a good example. It's a seat of the pants knee jerk reaction to a problem not based on chemestry or engineering.

Mechanics are just mechanics and are good (very good) at exchanging parts but if you need to find out what oil to use, how much load at what rpm to employ one needs to access the expertise of an engineer. And engineers are accessible mostly through engine manufacturers. Or in the case of engine mounts .. engine mount manufacturers.

Mechanics are just mechanics and are good (very good) at exchanging parts but if you need to find out what oil to use, how much load at what rpm to employ one needs to access the expertise of an engineer. And engineers are accessible mostly through engine manufacturers. Or in the case of engine mounts .. engine mount manufacturers.

Ouch Eric!! Not all of us "mechanics" are parts changers ;)!! Some of us study how the system operates and make an informed failure analysis based on facts. Oil sampling, compression tests, voltage checks and other available tests allow some of us to pinpoint a cause of failure and occasionally improve on an original system to extend the expected service life in the future. Honestly though- a large percentage of failures are the result of an incompetent prior repair. Many of the remaining break downs are due to neglected maintenance or damaged caused by an operator. And in the end- almost everything on your boat, car or airplane is ultimately still a wear item. From the door latch to the water pump. Mostly the good techs are good guys. Being honest from the start MAKES you improve. You have to live with your mistakes :).

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

The tests I can think of to determine if anything has problems are:

hot idle oil pressure
Compression
Bore scope
oil assay

After doing those you will have some concrete information on which to base your decision.

Forklift,
Yeah .. Sorry.
Lots of mechanics get into it far more than the average dude. My last job was truck driver so I'm no big shot either. But there's a lot of mechanical issues that engineers are best equiped to deal with. Like how to run an engine and what oil to use.

Didn't you talk about moving up here to the PNW?

Last edited:
I did. Looks like that's not gonna happen. It's complicated...

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Back
Top Bottom