Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Full displacement for sure. Definitely not built for speed.

Talk about thread creep! Fat Boats have segued into Fat Butts. Just because both these words start with "B" and sound somewhat similar does not justification make.

Personally, I greatly prefer shapely boats and butts! Each being able to either cruse slowly or to reach planning speed at a moment's notice... So that I as Captain can direct the course and eventual docking (restful) parameters.

BTW - WOT is always an option I always keep at hand, on the table... so to say! LOL

Last edited:
Greetings,
Mr. A. Thread creep? Every time a vessels stern comes into a discussion, "someone" mentions buttocks. Not my fault. I don't have a fixation...

Greetings,
Mr. A. Thread creep? Every time a vessels stern comes into a discussion, "someone" mentions buttocks. Not my fault. I don't have a fixation...

Why not????

On good butts... errrr boats, I mean! :dance:

U
At the Seattle Boat Show a year or so ago, I spent about an hour talking to the guy from Greenline and I ended up not so impressed. When I read the materials, I think some of it is just pure T BS. I spent almost three years looking at hybrid designs with the thought of a custom build. I spent a lot of time with Siemens' engineers on a system and a lot of time with Bill Crealock before his death on the design issues. Greenline claims running costs 10X less than a diesel boat, without explaining that they really mean while running in electric mode only. The only problem with that is that their battery bank is 12KWh, and the electric motor eats a minimum of 7KWh. So, about 90 minutes or so running on battery power alone. And that is with absolutely no power load from the house side of the equation. They also claim that the "hybrid system" is completely maintenance free. The sales guy finally admitted to me that there was no substantial fuel savings running on the diesel. We all own boats, we all know there is nothing on a boat that is maintenance free! It was nice boat but I just did not see the advantages of the system or the cost premium for it. I have always thought it was just an attempt to capitalize on the "eco" thing.

IMO if one is to run on electric motors the only hull that should come up would be FD and even that should be very narrow, light w low prismatic coefficient and maybe even not a mono-hull. I think this Greenline hull is excellent .. but for a diesel engine. I like the hull design a lot but it's an inland coastal hull not heavy enough to be seriously considered as a trawler. Estimating a boats mass by it's amount of hull below the WL (visually) got me into trouble only reciently Wonder what TAD Roberts would say? Haven't seen him for awhile. His input was especially good and interesting on this thread.

Last edited:
I wrote about the Greenline back in 2011

The Hybrid Myth, Greenline 33

In response I've received positive comments from industry experts who would loose their jobs if they said the same thing. I've also had a couple of angry emails from owners asking why I'm so negative.....I blame it on the weather :)

Greenline was recently closed/in receivership, selling too many boats with too small a margin I imagine (trying to maintain a market). I'm not sure if they got out of it and reorganized......

Reactions: Art
Seems to me a Hybrid engine would work best on a sailboat that is used in areas with plenty of wind, and plenty of sun. Wind generator, solar panels, and even maybe one of the newer water driven turbines would work well when you only need the equivalent of a 40-50 hp engine to drive an efficient hull.

A sailboat is a hybrid isn't it?

Thanks for dropp'in in TAD.

Seems to me a Hybrid engine would work best on a sailboat that is used in areas with plenty of wind, and plenty of sun. Wind generator, solar panels, and even maybe one of the newer water driven turbines would work well when you only need the equivalent of a 40-50 hp engine to drive an efficient hull.

Well stated!

Attachments

• C&L 38' Motorsailer.jpg
    C&L 38' Motorsailer.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 219
Last edited:

An interesting boat - but its going to take a long time to work out all the bugs in what is effectively a custom, electric boat with all the complexities that suggests. In concept - great. In reality... I'm sure its going to be a painful process to support (servicing expertise? where would you find that if things break down?) Its going to take a long time for the reliability of an electric/solar boat to come anywhere close to that of a well-proven diesel design, and because things are moving so quickly in the world of electric vehicles - I suspect the depreciation is going to be unprecedented... but I think its great that they are being built and I will watch it with interest.

2D221A9D00000578-3261699-The_world_s_first_entirely_solar_powered_zero_emissions_yacht_is-a-2_1444128566244.jpg

Greetings,
Mr. NS. I agree. Sittin' in the shade with a line out watching the world go by would not happen on this boat.

I was looking at Yachtworld this morning and came across this Ed Monk designed raised pilot house listing:

1982 Sunnfjord Pilothouse Trawler Power Boat For Sale - www.yachtworld.com

The Left Coast guys might be quite familiar with them. Anyone with some words of wisdom on Sunnfjord Yachts?

Very inefficient setup. Twin 6-71's to cruise at 8 knots??? Crazy. Even if the add is true and the engines are running at 1200 RPM, you are still burning almost 7 gallons of fuel per hour. And at 12 knots you're using 11.8 gph. I would guess the price is low because no one wants this power. With only 200 gallons of fuel you have just enough to get out of sight......

It might be nice if you were planing to stay tied to the dock. The wheelhouse is nice and bright, dash is a mess but that's minor. The propane heater is bad news, and installed in the wrong place. Heaters need to be down low in the boat, otherwise they just heat the ceiling.

...if I ever have two winning lottery tickets; actually make that three!

Crn 55 mtrs just launched , lovely ' commercial ' explorer look.

2015-09-CRN%20MY%2055mt%20Atlante-big.jpg

CRN-55m-atlante-luxury-yacht-designboom-03-818x545.jpg

CRN-134-slipway.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Art
...if I ever have two winning lottery tickets; actually make that three!

Crn 55 mtrs just launched , lovely ' commercial ' explorer look.

Rusty - That's a beaut! What's the price ticket on that baby???

If I had that kind of money, I would charter instead. After all, if you have a boat like that, it comes with a crew. So, if you're just going to be a passenger (albeit in charge), why own it.

Ted

Back
Top Bottom