The long and short of it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rhodesmj

I am interested in buying a trailerable cruiser. Two boats that appeal to me are the Ranger 25 (26 ft) and Nimble Wanderer (32 ft). Both are 8.5 ft beam. Given comparable beam dimensions is the longer or shorter boat more stable (read safe) in somewhat choppy to rough seas?

Neither are designed for wx so pick your favorite. Personally, I'd choose the Nimble but both have their fans. 32' is a lot bigger on the inside than 25'.

Is this going to be a Lake Michigan boat for you? With the short duration waves you find along the western shore of the lake I'd say the longer boat will give you a better ride. Also, I suspect it will be heavier than the Ranger. That's good when you're running in a chop but keep in mind it's going to need a tow vehicle with a larger tow rating.

I like the Rangers and am not familiar with the Nimble so can't comment on those. I'd pick the one that has the layout and amenities you like best.

Be sure to take a safe boating course and keep your Mama involved in the search process. If she's not happy with the one YOU choose you'll probably never hear the end of it.

The two boats would give you significantly different rides. The shorter semi-displacement hull of the R-25 would be comfortable in choppy water, but would "hobby-horse" in a head sea. The Nimble Wanderer would handle a head sea much better, but would be somewhat rolly in a beam sea with its more rounded bilge. If it is the motorsailer version, the steadying sails would definitely help in this regard.
If seas got very rough, I would rather be in the larger Nimble with its added ballast, and a hull designed by the respected Ted Brewer.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom