How far do you live from your Boat?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
.83 nm as the crow flies according to the chart, about a three or four minute drive.....

Two miles in the winter on the hard, six miles in the summer.

Rob
37' Sedan

Right now she is about an hour and 15 minutes from the house with 95% of that on the highway. We elected to move her up to chattanooga (where she is now) so as to be able to hopefully travel some with her. Bought her on Lake Lanier which was 40 minutes from the house. 2 boats ago we were on a lake 10 minutes from the house.

I have my CHB 34 on a marina 33 kms (~40mins), away by road. I used to lust after a home on a canal or the river, but found since it took a long time to get anywhere from a canal-front home, or indeed down the river, having explored same, and since our recent flood (still receding), I am doubly glad we are not on the river. Travel is faster by car, so a short distance to the best cruising grounds is probably more advantageous. But you have to be really nit-picky not to forget anything when working on it.

Al - Just looked up Chocowinity on Mapquest. What a great location. How long (timewise)to the ocean?

Carl, we are about 23nm to the ICW where it crosses the Pamlico River, from where you can go north on the Pungo R. to Belhaven, up the Alligator River, etc to Hampton Roads and on to the Chesapeake. South, it's down Goose Creek to Oriental, New Bern, Beaufort, etc.

Heading east, we run to Ocracoke (58nm.) you can do your own math on times.

Lots of cruising opportunities.

3 miles.....

At this moment, 240 miles, and I hope it to be about 120 ft. in a very short time.

Right now she is 100 miles / 1.5 hours drive away. Whenever we get our*old boat sold, she will 1/2 mile away.

Our boat lives about 6-10 minutes by car, 2-3 miles away. In nice weather and if I don't need to carry anything I'll walk, then bug my wife to pick me up for lunch.

We are 'retarded'.

Of course if I'm working on a project, vs puttering, I'll drive. No matter how careful I am I always seem to forget something, dementia.

About 15 miles from home and 3 miles from work. Great for running over on weekday evenings
John

About seven miles from our trawler.

75 feet from my fishing boat

60 miles but I have to go thru a 3.5 mile tunnel that only opens for 15 min.* In**on the 1/2 hour* Out* on the hour.

SD

-- Edited by skipperdude on Monday 17th of January 2011 09:26:48 AM

Just measured it, 2.3k/m or about 1.5miles. However mooving in 3 weeks then it will be about 1.2k/m or a bit over 1/2 a mile

From the condo and my husband's work*it is 30-45 mins (or more, on a bad*day)*depending on traffic.* From my work it is 10 mins.*

5 to 20 minutes depending on lights and a draw bridge I seem to catch open more than random odds would dictate. I'm only 1.55 miles as the crow flies (according to Google Earth) but a whopping 3.0 miles by car. I can see most of my marina from my bedroom window but a large boat yard shed on the opposite side of the canal just manages to block the view of my boat.

Exactly 35 paces from the back door. It's a nice walk even at low tide.

Same here, live-aboard ~6 years.

Will anyone think I am a better boater if I live closer or farther from my boat?

It ain't in my back yard but I don't need to get on an Interstate highway to get there.*

Egregious wrote:
Will anyone think I am a better boater if I live closer or farther from my boat?
I don't think it's a matter of how far but how often.* Like general aviation airplanes, the vast majority of boats just sit, year after year, never going anywhere, never being used.

I have been told--- but I don't know how the figure was derived--- that in our 2000+ boat marina, less than 10% of the boats are used regularly and of those a very small percentage are used frequently.

-- Edited by Marin on Saturday 22nd of January 2011 12:44:59 AM

I have been told--- but I don't know how the figure was derived--- that in our 2000+ boat marina, less than 10% of the boats are used regularly and of those a very small percentage are used regularly.

That is about right.* Maybe they are waiting for fair weather!

During the last couple of years that we owned our sailboat Marigot, we docked her at a marina about a 10 minute walk from our house. Interesting to us, because we were so close, we realized that we rarely stayed overnight on her or barbecued etc because we were so close to home.

We still live in the same house in St. Catharines, but we now dock our trawler Delia Rosa in the US at Sunset Bay Marina, in New York about a 45 min trip. When we go to the boat, we stay on her for days at a time. In fact, we actually spend most of the summer aboard. Still close enough to go home if we need to, but far enough away that we don't want to!

Delia Rosa wrote:

During the last couple of years that we owned our sailboat Marigot, we docked her at a marina about a 10 minute walk from our house. Interesting to us, because we were so close, we realized that we rarely stayed overnight on her or barbecued etc because we were so close to home.

We still live in the same house in St. Catharines, but we now dock our trawler Delia Rosa in the US at Sunset Bay Marina, in New York about a 45 min trip. When we go to the boat, we stay on her for days at a time. In fact, we actually spend most of the summer aboard. Still close enough to go home if we need to, but far enough away that we don't want to!
We live just ten minutes away ourselves. And that close proximity to home and all of our favorite restaurants does keep me from staying on the boat in her permanent slip. My wife is always suggesting it, expecially when I whine about not getting out cruising enough. There are a couple other factors that influence me, and one is the superior comfort of my home mattress. The other thing is that we are one of only four non-charter boats on our dock. I guess if we had a group of owners on the dock with us, we would develop social interaction with them. The other three non-charter boats are out of town owners, whom we have never seen enough of to identify them as the owners.

*About 125 feet. J.T. Duncan

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom