Fuel Monitoring on a LRC 42

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Montenido

Vessel Name
Ansedonia
Vessel Make
Californian/Carver 52CPMY
Hi all,

I am shopping for a LRC 42 and have a question about fuel tanks and levels. With four separate tanks, how do you keep track of how much fuel is/isn't in each tank? I'm sure this will be the first of many LRC questions if I happen to land one.

Cheers, Bill

On the Californian 42 LRC configured with four 125 gallon fuel tanks. The tanks are valved at the aft end and accessed under the aft deck hatch.

The typical setup is the tanks are setup in pairs, ie, the port side tanks for the port engine. I leave mine bridged on each side and pull from both tanks at the same time. The starboard engine and generator pull off the starboard tanks. There are valves for all the supply and return lines so you can basically feed and return the fuel however you desire. I added bridges between the two pairs of tanks just to provide more options for polishing and level adjustments.

All the 42's I have seen have fuel gauges mounted in the lower helm control panel. A previous owner of my 42 also mounted mechanical gauges on the tanks that are accessible from inside the aft cabin by lifting up the mattress's on either side. The electronic fuel senders are also accessible by lifting up the mattress's in the aft cabin.

Keep in mind previous owners might have upgraded to floscans or any number of possibilities from the factory setup so you need to ask when looking at prospective boats.

On the Californian 42 LRC configured with four 125 gallon fuel tanks. The tanks are valved at the aft end and accessed under the aft deck hatch.

The typical setup is the tanks are setup in pairs, ie, the port side tanks for the port engine.

This is the most common setup on 38' - 42' aft cabin LRC's with twin full size beds. Those setup with one bed aft, either island or starboard side berth style, usually have two tanks which are both under the bed.

The sedan LRC's which are rare, I've only seen two, have a different tank setup. Usually two tanks, which are mounted port and starboard under the aft deck.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom