Pop up cleat

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Vessel Name
Apache II
Vessel Make
1974 Donald Jones
Does anyone have these?

How well do they work?

I Thought perhaps they may be to much of a contraption.
You know to many moving parts.

SD

The RNLI lifeboats in the UK like the one I've posted the photo of have these. However they are VERY substantial devices and, I would guess, are very expensive. Also, they don't pop up, they fold up (or down). Very clever devices and they incorporate a fairlead as well as the cleat itself. From their color I'm guessing they are bronze.

I have had 2 10" Suncor pop ups midships for four seasons. They have worked great at the dock and no stubbed toes when going forward at anchor. I did put in substantial plywood backing plates and heavily glassed them in place. The mounting stud penetrations were drilled over sized, epoxied and drilled again. The stainless backing plate that came with the cleats was used under my plywood plate.

Rob
37' Sedan

Please observe that usefulness of these can be climate dependant. If you live in an area where you*see snow and ice, you may experience them freezing stuck in the down position. This is the reason the NSSR (sister organization to the RNLI) will not install these on the next vessel to be launched this summer

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom