Repair Oil Change Pump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CaptTom

Guru
Vessel Make
Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser
I have two identical oil change pumps plumbed into my mains. Brand name "Qwik Change" Two different ages, apparently, since the manufacturer's name sticker is slightly different on each. Searching on line, it seems neither manufacturer is still in business.

One works great. The other makes all the right noises, but the oil flows so slowly that it took over an hour to drain.

I did remove the hose from the pump inlet and blow through it until I could hear bubbling in the oil pan, so I don't think there's an obstruction on that end.

Is it worth trying to take the pump apart? Is there anything fix-able in there?

It's obviously a gear pump, and amazon sells what looks like a similar one for around $115. I'm ready to buy, but I'd hate to find out all I had to do was remove four screws and clean something out internally.

Try giving the good folks at Depco pump in Clearwater a call. I'm going to guess the pump is OEM by one of a few manufacturers. In which case Depco may be able to sell you a rebuild kit or refurb it for you. In exchange for great knowledgeable service, you may pay a little more than Amazon if you buy a whole new pump, but not all that much. And it'll be the right one for the task.

(727) 446-1656

Don't know about yours, the one on my charter boat has an impeller like a raw water pump. Spun the bushing inside the rubber impeller. New impeller and oring was under $25.

Ted

If your thinking/going to replace it, I'd take it a part. We have two rotary vane transfer pumps. I was able to go on line and buy replacement vanes for one of them. These are not made to run dry. The pump heads were made by Jabsco/Xylemflowcontrol.

I pretty much take everything apart before I replace. Many times I can repair instead. Even if I can't. I still learn something in the process.

I pretty much take everything apart before I replace. Many times I can repair instead. Even if I can't. I still learn something in the process.
If it`s not working and likely to be junked, there is no downside in taking it apart to see if it can be saved/repaired.

I guess I'll go with the consensus that I might as well take it apart and see.

I was hoping I'd get an answer like "Sure, just take it apart and (insert simple fix here) and you'll be good as new!"

For what it's worth, here's the pic:
4339-albums374-picture2372.jpg

A picture of the pump head will likely tell us if it is a gear or vaned pump. Taking it apart is OK if one knows what one is looking for. Did you call Depco?

Well at least George understood what I was getting at. LOL

I should have been clearer and said a picture of the wetted end of the pump. That would tell us whether the pump used a gear pump or impellor of some kind to move fluid.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom