My Short Haul Refit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Stunning. Hopefully most mechanicals are done and from here forward you are installing. Not removing to repair. This has got to be one of the most thorough and professionally done marine rebuilds ever taken on!!

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Thanks! Most everything is done. Everything on the outside will need to be reinstalled and hooked up. Inside stuff is down to minor punch list completions and the occasional new trinket like a stand alone engine hour meter. Looking forward to sea trials and the resulting punch list.

Ted

Yeah, and I was aboard it before he started all this. I'd have been proud to have it then!

Funny thing, if you look inside, other than the pilothouse displays and the engine room, very little of what you see has changed. It's everything mechanical under the floor and behind the walls that's different. For most it will be hard to see what took so long.

Ted

Last edited:
Wow beautiful work . Ted your paint guy is something else . Thanks for taking us along on this huge project .Very nice .
We are painting this week also . But it is just a roll and tip job on William,you know kinda work boat quality,nothing like this .

Marty- same here when I can get to it. This OCD project is the way all of us dream of being able to do it :).

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Wow beautiful work . Ted your paint guy is something else . Thanks for taking us along on this huge project .Very nice .

+1

I'd like to thank you for this thread, and the way you're highlighting that what ever boat you own its the pleasure of boat ownership that counts, not how new or expensive your toy is.

Is it worth doing up an old design; definitely! When you consider how much depreciation there is on a new boat it would be totally impossible to equal that on a restoration, however hard you tried; and you won't get the warm glow of knowing you've revitalised an old hull to live on for many decades more.

In totally get what you're doing, having built my own boat from scratch.

Fantastic effort; beautiful result. :)

We are painting this week also . But it is just a roll and tip job on William,you know kinda work boat quality,nothing like this .

I have been following what you have done on William. The quality of care you give William is far beyond "work boat"! This definitely speaks to pride of ownership and respect for your vessel. Appreciate your support!

Marty- same here when I can get to it. This OCD project is the way all of us dream of being able to do it :).

Forky
1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

This is the dream coming true. The once in a lifetime dream. I have really enjoyed doing this, but could never muster the energy to do it again. Appreciate your support!

+1

I'd like to thank you for this thread, and the way you're highlighting that what ever boat you own its the pleasure of boat ownership that counts, not how new or expensive your toy is.

Is it worth doing up an old design; definitely! When you consider how much depreciation there is on a new boat it would be totally impossible to equal that on a restoration, however hard you tried; and you won't get the warm glow of knowing you've revitalised an old hull to live on for many decades more.

In totally get what you're doing, having built my own boat from scratch.

Fantastic effort; beautiful result. :)

Yes, this is my new boat. It's great to find a vessel and be able to cruise it a little before heading into a project of this magnitude. This is as close to getting a custom built boat as I will ever get. I tend to keep boats and vehicles a long time. Hoping this will be the one and only for as long as I cruise. Thanks for watching!

Time to head to the boat yard. Have some bits to install today while Sean is prepping for tomorrows painting.

Ted

Short day in the boat yard today. Thought we were on an every third day paint schedule, but it appears that it's every other day for the top side shoots. :thumb: So didn't get a whole lot done before paint time at 1 pm.

My new entrance inside

DSCN1405.jpg

Tuesday's work already covered

DSCN1408.jpg

Only accomplished project for today was to install a redundant mechanical hour meter to back up the one in the engines computer that views as part of the digital display. For less than $30 including shipping, I thought it was a good investment.

DSCN1393.jpg

DSCN1397.jpg

Today"s paint project was all 4 sides of the pilothouse. Here it is ready to be painted. No pics of process or results as I could put my time to better use else where. Actually, the paint vapors are pretty caustic and I want to live to enjoy the boat.

DSCN1404.jpg

DSCN1403.jpg

Somethings in the building are simple and low tech. The ventilation and intake air filtration systems are a good example. The ventilation is two 3' diameter fans at one end of the building. When they are on, closing the door requires some effort.

DSCN1399.jpg

The air intake filtration is a screen door that sits in the utility door frame, where a screen door would go.

DSCN1401.jpg

The filtration media is roll HVAC air filter material that is held to the screen door with wood strips and screws. When it starts to show signs of dust and dirt, the media is replaced. When ventilating is done, lift the screen door out, set it inside, and close the utility door. Pretty low tech, but extremely effective.

DSCN1406.jpg

Ted

Where are you having this done, OCD? I love the simplicity. California would have a field day with that setup. Maybe that's why we have so little affordable service here.

Where are you having this done, OCD? I love the simplicity. California would have a field day with that setup. Maybe that's why we have so little affordable service here.
The boat yard is Scott's Cove Marina in Chance, Maryland. It's in a less traveled area about 15 miles above Crisfield, MD. Marina is primarily a Chesapeake Bay watermans marina. It's only a matter of time before the nanny state Nazis regulate them out of business.

Ted

Did you update your sound deadening? If so what did you use? Thanks! Great project!

Did you update your sound deadening? If so what did you use? Thanks! Great project!

Thanks for the kind words!

Boat had original Soundown lead foam and foil face sound insulation which is great! There were a few areas that required additional insulation. The lead version is no longer made or doesn't have any applicable amount of lead compared to the original stuff. For continuity of appearance, we used the replacement version which is also called the same thing. The forward bulkhead of the engine room was of greatest concern as the staterooms are on the other side of the bulkhead. So there we put two layers. Hoping the new version will turn out to be equally good, but won't know till it's in the water.

Ted

Look forward to reading about the results performance and sound level wise.
Thanks,
Jud

Very rewarding day in the boatyard today. Donned the Tyvek painting suit, respirator, and surgical gloves. Spent 4 hours filling the paint sprayer, moving the scaffold board, dragging air hoses, and in general doing whatever Sean needed while he sprayed the hull twice.

This is Awlgrip "Ice Blue'. Unfortunately the florescent lights don't show the true color.

DSCN1423.jpg

DSCN1430.jpg

DSCN1431.jpg

DSCN1432.jpg

DSCN1438.jpg

DSCN1440.jpg

DSCN1419.jpg

DSCN1418.jpg

DSCN1429.jpg

Transom Door

DSCN1425.jpg

Couldn't be happier with the results today! :dance: All that remains to be spray painted on the boat is the cap rail and the boot stripe.

Ted

Wow! That's all I can say. Wow!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

That is SO fine!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Wow! That's all I can say. Wow!

Jim
Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum

Oo la laaaa...shiny!!!!!!

excellent results. She is looks better than new.

That is SO fine!!!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Thanks guys! Appreciate the complements. This was one of those days when you keep looking at the boat with an ear to ear grin and thinking, "Yes!!! This makes all the time and effort worth it!"

Ted

Ted...
Another beautiful job.
I'm sure you are getting more anxious to splash.

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Ted...
Another beautiful job.
I'm sure you are getting more anxious to splash.

Don
'08 MS 34HT
"Bacchus"

Thanks! Yes, starting to get excited .

Ted

Beautiful paint job Ted .:thumb::thumb: Perfect example of all the time, money and hard work spent on preparation .

Last edited:
Damn that's purdy. Like that color!

Beautiful paint job Ted .:thumb::thumb: Perfect example of all the time, money and hard work spent on preparation .

Nice work by the painter, keep a quart on the side for those just in case moments.

Damn that's purdy. Like that color!

Thanks guys! Yes it's 95% preparation before painting. The paint makes it look shiny, but it the hours of prep that make it look smooth. Bad prep work only looks worse with shiny paint on top.

Ted

Ted, that looks great. A climate controlled paint booth is the way to go. Can't wait to tour your boat in Ft. Pierce.:thumb::thumb:

So NICE, OUTSTANDING JOB.

Nice work by the painter, keep a quart on the side for those just in case moments.

If you keep the can sealed tight, upside down, it will skin over the bottom, leaving the paint near the top available to use later.

If the paint can seals are roughed up, HD has new quart cans that you can use to save touch up paint.

Back
Top Bottom