Mainship 39

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mystic144

Hello
I am interested in purchasing a 39 Mainship to do the Great loop.
What issues should I look for when we do a survey, like leaks and soft spots in the fiberglass.
From what I see online regardless of single power they all cruise at 12 knots.
Is this true?

I purchased at 2001 390 2 years ago. It was well maintained, I am fortunate. Single Cummins 330hp. 2 leak issues. Pay close attention to caulking on rubrails. Tends to allow water to run inside of hull. Also, the drain tubes in the flybridge port and starboard seating tubs are poorly designed, allowing water intrusion into salon headliner. Need to keep those tubes well caulked on inside and outside of tub.

12 knots is a stretch, WOT. Boats runs comfortable at 9-10, 1,800 rpm.

Take the leap! 7 month a year live-aboard with loop plans as well!

Sent from my iPad using Trawler Forum
2001 Mainship 390

Last edited:
Bought our 2001 Mainship 390 at the end of last year.

Twin Yanmar 240's.
WOT - 17k
Best Econ - 7k
Econ cruise 9k
Fast cruise 12 - 13k (2800rpm)

Unless you need the speed or go beyond loop/coastal, I'd go for the single with bow thruster. Mine did a couple Baja-ha-ha's and Sea of Cortez runs, so I get the PO desire for redundancy. But doing any maintenance / repairs outboard of those twins is a booger. The single is much easier to work around. JMHO

my 390T is new to me about a year with single cat 3116. similar findings, also same water leaks for me in the flybridge seating tubs..strange arrangement. when it leaks for me it drips out of the electrical outlet under the stairs, I had a hard time grasping the low speed maneuvering around tight quarters at first.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom