Leaving the Keys, Headed for Houston

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

READY2GO

Guru
Vessel Name
Walkabout
Vessel Make
1989 Sea Ray 380 Aft Cabin
After hanging around the Keys for almost four years now it is time for a break. We will leave Wednesday or Thursday. We plan on stopping in a few places like Dunedin, Destin, Ocean Springs MS, and probably a few others.

You're going from hanging out in the Keys to living in Houston? Yikes!

I'm not poking fun because I'm sure you have a good reason, but I live around Houston and it's just not quite as picturesque as the Keys. ?

You're going from hanging out in the Keys to living in Houston? Yikes!

I'm not poking fun because I'm sure you have a good reason, but I live around Houston and it's just not quite as picturesque as the Keys. ?

Yes, I know it is not as picturesque as the Keys. I have lived in San Antonio and McAllen for 3 years, but we have family and friends in Houston. We are ready to get out of a tourist environment for awhile (yes I know I was a tourist once). but I am tired of $5 bottles of beer and $12 hamburgers. It will definitely be different but it is not forever, just till March.

On the upside Houston has Whataburger. My favorite fast food in the whole world, and HEB tortillas, not to mention fantastic Mexican food.

Where do you plan to stay while you're here?

Don't know yet. We would prefer a mooring or anchoring out but have not found any info on any sort of mooring field. We are looking at Blue Dolphin in Seabrook. They advertise a 45' slip for $250 a month. That is less than a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor. Looking for any local knowledge.

Yes, I know it is not as picturesque as the Keys. I have lived in San Antonio and McAllen for 3 years, but we have family and friends in Houston. We are ready to get out of a tourist environment for awhile (yes I know I was a tourist once). but I am tired of $5 bottles of beer and $12 hamburgers. It will definitely be different but it is not forever, just till March.

On the upside Houston has Whataburger. My favorite fast food in the whole world, and HEB tortillas, not to mention fantastic Mexican food.

I hear you. Hell I was on my boat in Key West for just a week and kind of got tired of it. But I was with the wife and kids. ?

Don't know yet. We would prefer a mooring or anchoring out but have not found any info on any sort of mooring field. We are looking at Blue Dolphin in Seabrook. They advertise a 45' slip for $250 a month. That is less than a mooring ball in Boot Key Harbor. Looking for any local knowledge.

I'm at Blue Dolphin. If you arent planning on staying on the boat the $250 slips are a good value. But with 146 right there the street noise is pretty loud and it's every day at rush hour and all day on holidays.

I hear you. Hell I was on my boat in Key West for just a week and kind of got tired of it. But I was with the wife and kids. ?

Don't get me wrong, I love the Keys and will be back, but we are ready for something different. Probably the first time it gets below 50 we will be asking ourselves "what were we thinking".

Don't get me wrong, I love the Keys and will be back, but we are ready for something different. Probably the first time it gets below 50 we will be asking ourselves "what were we thinking".

Hey, that's why you live on a boat, so you can move around, right?

I envy your position. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Hey, that's why you live on a boat, so you can move around, right?

I envy your position. Let me know if I can help out in any way.

Yep, I love the trawler turtle life. You carry your home around on your back and move around at 6 knots.

He already had the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and now wants "Whataburger in Texas"! Cut him some slack, if he doesn't have a change of scenery, he won't have anything to compare it to. Thats why they call it cruising. Good luck R2GO. I bet he falls in love with a stop on the Gulf coast, and ends up staying for a minute.

Next time I head back up the GCICW I'm gonna take my time and stay awhile. I passed up some cool looking spots in Alabama, Mississippi and Florida on the Gulf side that I wish I could have explored more.

Three more years and our last kid will be in college. Fingers crossed.

Whatabuger!!!
Grew up (and out) with those! Loved 'em!
We used to have one around here, but I think it's closed too:(

The Keys are beautiful but obscenely expensive.
I look forward to the day that I can see them from the helm of my own boat though.

Sounds like you've had a great time.
If you stop in Dunedin, shoot me a line and I'll buy dinner for you guys.
We have some great places in the area.

Safe travels.

OD

When you get here let us know. Would love to share stories over some great Tex-Mex.

Whatabuger!!!
Grew up (and out) with those! Loved 'em!
We used to have one around here, but I think it's closed too:(

The Keys are beautiful but obscenely expensive.
I look forward to the day that I can see them from the helm of my own boat though.

Sounds like you've had a great time.
If you stop in Dunedin, shoot me a line and I'll buy dinner for you guys.
We have some great places in the area.

Safe travels.

OD

Thanks Off Duty, we will definitely be stopping in Dunedin, it was our second favorite stop on the way down to the Keys. Surpassed only by Ocean Springs MS. It took us about 8 months to get to the Keys from Indiana because we liked to stop at as many places as we could. The trip to TX will be different, but we will be stopping at a few places for a week or so. It will take us a minimum of 5 weeks maybe 7.

I will give you a shout when we get there. It should be this weekend if the weather forecast is right.

When you get here let us know. Would love to share stories over some great Tex-Mex.

Look forward to it. Are there nice places to anchor around the area?

I'm at Blue Dolphin. If you arent planning on staying on the boat the $250 slips are a good value. But with 146 right there the street noise is pretty loud and it's every day at rush hour and all day on holidays.

Thanks, are there better options close to that area? We want to stay close to the Clear Lake area.

PS I just sent you an email with the watermaker spreadsheet.

Last edited:
He already had the "Cheeseburger in Paradise" and now wants "Whataburger in Texas"! Cut him some slack, if he doesn't have a change of scenery, he won't have anything to compare it to. Thats why they call it cruising. Good luck R2GO. I bet he falls in love with a stop on the Gulf coast, and ends up staying for a minute.[/QUOTE]

Looks to me that they have cruised through this area already. Maybe on a quick pass through on their way to the Keys. I'm with you, I can spend the rest of my cruising days between Gulfshores and Panama City. Not as high priced as the Keys but just picturesque.

Thanks, are there better options close to that area? We want to stay close to the Clear Lake area.

We are at Lakewood Yacht Club, which is adjacent to Blue Dolphin. There is some traffic noise, but not really noticeable, at least for us.

Seabrook Marina is good, although it is very close to 146, so more traffic noise.

Lakewood, Blue Dolphin and Seabrook are the only marinas of any size on the north side of Clear Lake.

There are several good marinas on the south side of the lake. Try Watergate Marina, South Shore Harbor, Casa del Sol. One key in picking a marina is distance from the Kemah Bridge. It can take a while to get from the west end of Clear Lake to Galveston Bay. Portofino Harbor is the closest.

Anchorages are few. Some boats anchor in Clear Lake, but it's pretty shallow, especially with a strong north wind at low tide. Don't underestimate the effect on water depth of north winds, which are common in the winter. Red Fish Island in Galveston Bay is good for short stays unless the wind is from the northwest. Also, there is decent anchoring on the north side of San Leon peninsula.

By far the best anchorage in the area is Offats Bayou in Galveston, but that's a ways from Clear Lake. We often spend several days there. Deep water (20'), protected and lots to do.

Thanks Off Duty, we will definitely be stopping in Dunedin, it was our second favorite stop on the way down to the Keys. Surpassed only by Ocean Springs MS. It took us about 8 months to get to the Keys from Indiana because we liked to stop at as many places as we could. The trip to TX will be different, but we will be stopping at a few places for a week or so. It will take us a minimum of 5 weeks maybe 7.

I will give you a shout when we get there. It should be this weekend if the weather forecast is right.

I'll pm you my contact info.

OD

LOL, I just don't know where to start :banghead:

But to get out of the Keys alive is an accomplishment all by itself. Large quantities of adult beverages to get over the keysdisease will help. :thumb:

:socool:

After hanging around the Keys for almost four years now it is time for a break. We will leave Wednesday or Thursday. .

Drake pretty much covered the marina situation.

I would say give blue dolphine a day or two to see if it will work for you. Im in a covered slip and I hear traffic when I am on my flybridge but I dont hear anything when I am inside the boat with the A/c running. Chances are that will be the same for the uncovered ones too. And at $250/mo. its worth a roll of the dice.

Thanks for the parts list, it will be very appreciated in a couple of months. Im still in a demolition mode. See what I found this weekend? Yippee... LOL

Portion of the steering lines that were hidden.
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3537%3A%3Enu%3D3395%3E%3B44%3E4%3B2%3EWSNRCG%3Dif829%3Bd70g7%3A6%2F77950%3B3%3Bf%2Fdci7%3Ad5%3Be96fot1lsi

A bit too much corrosion for my tastes...
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3%3A484%3Enu%3D3395%3E%3B44%3E4%3B2%3EWSNRCG%3D42%3C7%3A2%3B4075h4%2F73f%3B0%3B5e7%2F3f8gfchf%3C6g9ot1lsi

But at least I found a wrench I can use when I repack the rudder.
232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv33438%3Enu%3D3395%3E%3B44%3E4%3B2%3EWSNRCG%3Dgedh6gh%3A04f%3A5%2F78%3Af0d7ci%2Fi%3Bf64d5d679eot1lsi

Thanks everyone for the input. We will take our time to find a place we are happy with. What Barnacles looks like you are going to have fun.

I just left Clear Lake last week headed in your direction. Our marina was Waterford Harbor. Great amenities and maybe the only marina w/ a free pumpout. Also no contract, month to month. About $350 for a 35'.

I am supposed to be in Clearwater Beach about the 10th of November, would enjoy a get together somewhere along the way if it works for you.

Rafe

I just left Clear Lake last week headed in your direction. Our marina was Waterford Harbor. Great amenities and maybe the only marina w/ a free pumpout. Also no contract, month to month. About $350 for a 35'.

I am supposed to be in Clearwater Beach about the 10th of November, would enjoy a get together somewhere along the way if it works for you.

Rafe

Sounds good we would enjoy that. In my signature is a link to our blog. At the top of the blog is a link to our "spot page'" which shows where we are. Keep in touch and let us know when we get close to each other. I will send you a pm with my contact info.

Mike

Sounds like a good trip. We are in pass Christian ms now where we call home. We bought our boat in Kemah tx. Watergate marina to be exact. It was a very nice spot. Very nice people. We bought the boat and kept it there for months. I have a brother that lives in Kemah.
Anyways yall have a great trip and a safe one, if you need a break you can stop in at the pass harbor. They will rent a spot for like 25$ a night and a great place to eat in the harbor.

That would be Shaggy's. A great funky place with a spectacular view. And with Cruising the Coast happening now- you'll probably see some of the finest iron in America cruising through!

1983 Present 42 Sundeck
Twin Lehman 135's
✌️

Look at the warf and constalltion point both have low cost slips don't know of any moorings in the area.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. We are anchored in Pine Island sound (Fort Meyers) tonight. Ran 64 nm yesterday and 76 today. Another two days and we will be in Dunedin and take a good break. We only run at 1500 rpms which averages 6 knots so it has been two long but great days. Absolutely perfect trawler weather. Very light winds and smooth seas. I will post some pics when we stop to rest.

Before you leave Pine Island Sound, go ashore at Cabbage Key for one of their cheeseburgers - one of life's small but memorable pleasures.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom