Deck box onboard the Mainship 390

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sjhoman

We are looking for more storage on the Mainship 390. Does anyone have a dock storage box onboard? We are thinking of putting one onboard and don't know if this would present a problem while underway with weight distribution. Any ideas?

We are looking for more storage on the Mainship 390. Does anyone have a dock storage box onboard? We are thinking of putting one onboard and don't know if this would present a problem while underway with weight distribution. Any ideas?

As to the weight distribution issue, think of it this way. If a 200lb person sat down where you are thinking of putting the box, would you notice and difference in the attitude of your boat?

If you're unsure of the answer, borrow someone and have them sit there while you motor around. :D

Of course you could use some 5 gallon buckets of water, sand or something as well.

We have two dock boxes up top. For us couldn't imagine the weight being an issue. On the starboard side is a 12 ft rib, and on port is the crane and the two dock boxes.

As to the weight distribution issue, think of it this way. If a 200lb person sat down where you are thinking of putting the box, would you notice and difference in the attitude of your boat?

If you're unsure of the answer, borrow someone and have them sit there while you motor around. :D

Of course you could use some 5 gallon buckets of water, sand or something as well.

We have a big Igloo fish cooler for a dock box on the far starboard side. We have a cushion on it and people sit on all the time with no impact on the boats behaviour.

Dock Box

I have a full sized dock box on the sun deck of my Present 38, it does not affect boat in any way, just make sure it is centered on the longitudinal axis of your boat. It holds a lot of gear is very handy and also doubles as a bench seat, I way 250 lbs. and it supports the load adequately.
:dance:

Dock box

Why is it you ALWAYS see the typos after you hit the send button?

:banghead: I meant "weigh" not "way" sorry the spelling error all...

JJ, you can hit the edit button and make changes, for up to two hours (I think) after you post.

I would think of favoring the centerline or starboard of the boat centerline because the port is the heavier side of the boat.

I would think of favoring the centerline or starboard of the boat centerline because the port is the heavier side of the boat.

My 390 is balanced to very slightly lower on the starboard side, maybe due to a heavy hide-a-bed. Depending on boat loading, everyone's may be different. The OP would need to check his.

We're exploring storage options for ours, including a small dock box upper deck, port side just aft of existing bench so we don't block view aft from upper helm. Also considering dumping hide-a-bed for a lighter sleeper sofa with storage under. But we're also contemplating losing 2/3 of the TV cabinet aft of the refrigerator to allow us to slide in a nice compact recliner, so we'd be loosing some storage there. These Mainships like many boats are full of compromise. She's kind of utilitarian and fills many roles well. Just none great. That's OK. :thumb:

My 390 is balanced to very slightly lower on the starboard side, maybe due to a heavy hide-a-bed. Depending on boat loading, everyone's may be different. The OP would need to check his (not that a couple hundred pounds is going to have too much impact).

We're exploring storage options for ours, including a small dock box upper deck, port side just aft of existing bench so we don't block view aft from upper helm. Also considering dumping hide-a-bed for a lighter sleeper sofa with storage under. But we're also contemplating losing 2/3 of the TV cabinet aft of the refrigerator to allow us to slide in a nice compact recliner, so we'd be loosing some storage there. These Mainships like many boats are full of compromise. She's kind of utilitarian and fills many roles well. Just none great. That's OK. :thumb:

Last edited:

Picture

Attachments

• 030.jpg
    030.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 84

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom