View Single Post
Old 10-05-2015, 10:24 AM   #81
Irish Rambler
Guru

City: NARBONNE
Vessel Name: 'Snow Mouse.'
Vessel Model: BROOM FLYBRIDGE 42.
In all my rush to catch up I overlooked a port we stayed in after Weymouth, Torquay. From Weymouth to Torquay the coastline is called the Jurassic coast because of the rock formations along it and Torquay is referred to as, The English Riviera.
Apologies for that oversight but we've been plagued with bad weather and indifferent Internet connections and I screwed up, oops !

In WW2 Torquay figured heavily in the D-Day landings and special concrete ramps were built so that the landing craft could, after the initial assault, ferry more men and all the necessary supplies to support them, then they started a 24/7 shuttle service from Torquay to Omaha, Juno and Gold beaches.
They simply dropped the doors and ran the landing craft up the ramp where it would be loaded while the crew grabbed food and drink which they would consume on the run over as time was precious.
As all the ports were heavily defended they had to make their own, after the initial assault phase, concrete structures called 'Mulberry harbours' were towed over the channel and sunk in precise locations close to the coast, these Mulberry's were then connected to each other by metal linkspan roadways and ships could then dock in the artificial harbour to unload and fleets of truck ferried the goods ashore for distribution.
Close to Torquay is Brixham harbour, home to a large fishing fleet and the most incontinent seagulls I've ever encountered, the reason I didn't moor there was because of the constant deluge from these flying rats. Boy does it stick like the proverbial s..t to a blanket. Moored in Brixham harbour is an exact replica of Sir Francis Drakes ship the 'Golden Hind'.
The 'pirates tell tales to the kids(and Mums too). the guy in the red costume is showing the 'Cat O nine tails', seamen who broke the law were given lashes across the back then sluiced off with salt water.
While moored in Torquay we had magnificent fireworks displays.
Incidentally, all the boats, some 25 or so, that had taken part in a race around Fastnet rock who spurned us as 'stinkpot cruisers' ALL used their engines returning to their respective home ports, the sailing boat shown was going the other way ! Some freakin sailors eh !
When we saluted them NOT ONE returned our wave, such bad manners.
Attached Thumbnails
DSCN0718.jpg   DSCN0722.jpg   DSCN0724 (2).jpg   DSCN0729 (2).jpg   DSCN0731.jpg  

DSCN0746.jpg   DSCN0751.jpg   DSCN0758 (2).jpg   DSCN0753.jpg   DSCN0759.jpg  

Irish Rambler is offline   Reply With Quote