Tv antenna choice?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dwk

Vessel Name
Patty Ann
Vessel Make
Mainship 34 MK1 1980
We are going to install a tv antenna and looking for suggestions as to what make,model others are using.Any information appreciated.

I just installed a 14" Glomex - it is outstanding. Now I am seriously thinking about getting rid of cable TV at home.

Last edited:
Recently mounted the ubiquitous Shakespear Seawatch unit...
Can receive 20+ channels in a relatively rural area where I keep the boat. Mounted it inside the flybridge enclosure so no weather exposure. 12V with an adjustable amplifier...I've been very pleased with the results..

http://www.amazon.com/Shakespeare-S...A7OW91L&dpSrc=sims&preST=_AC_UL160_SR160,160_

Have the same and mounted the same way. Can receive only 2 channels (with their subchannels) on our home mooring, although we can lose them as the boat swings. Luckily, one of those channels is PBS, about the only one worth watching IMHO. Don't know if a better antenna would be any improvement as our mooring is ringed by hills and about 45 miles from the nearest TV transmitter.

I'm guilty of encouraging almost instant thread drift with this question, but speaking of TV, anybody know of a satellite TV service that allows a seasonal subscription? We have the same Skakespeare antenna now for broadcast tv, and like a previous poster we get almost nothing. Direct TV, Dish, all the services I've researched so far require year-round which just drives the cost up to where it's just not worth it.

(I know about Flex TV, but at $34.99 a month, and Direct is just over half of that year round, seems like a wash.)

Last edited:
I just installed a 14" Glomex - it is outstanding. Now I am seriously thinking about getting rid of cable TV at home.
Which model? My present antenna gets all pixilated while on the anchor and sometimes even in the dock. Looking to improve

Last edited:
I'm guilty of encouraging almost instant thread drift with this question, but speaking of TV, anybody know of a satellite TV service that allows a seasonal subscription? We have the same Skakespeare antenna now for broadcast tv, and like a previous poster we get almost nothing. Direct TV, Dish, all the services I've researched so far require year-round which just drives the cost up to where it's just not worth it.

(I know about Flex TV, but at $34.99 a month, and Direct is just over half of that year round, seems like a wash.)

Dish offers month by month service. Turn it on and off as often as you like.

Programming

One reason I boat is to reduce involvement with the "world." So, definitely no TV but will monitor VHF channels 16 and 14 for my sake. Besides, one boating friend could only receive Spanish-language TV channels in Petaluma (very northern San Francisco Bay). Useless!

...Besides, one boating friend could only receive Spanish-language TV channels in Petaluma (very northern San Francisco Bay). Useless!

Well, not quite. The TV plays DVDs.

Greetings,
Mr. mp. "Useless." Unless you spoke Spanish. Try watching a Swedish movie with Polish subtitles dubbed into Spanish.

Better Swedish. I took a semester of Swedish at UC Berkeley almost fifty years ago!

giphy.gif

We are going to install a tv antenna and looking for suggestions as to what make,model others are using.Any information appreciated.
I love TV and wouldn't want to be without my satellite TV. I know, I know, it's expensive but the satellite systems are so good, I wouldn't want to leave home without it!

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpg
    IMG_0400.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 75
  • Satellite TV.jpg
    Satellite TV.jpg
    21.2 KB · Views: 293
The antenna key is weather you anchor out much or atay in a slip.

Anchored the boat will swing with the wind and tide so a non directional antenna is required.

In a slip it can be aimed so will catch more stations perhaps from different locations.

The non directional can easily be home brewed from a discarded bike wheel.

Back
Top Bottom