Seahorse 52 LRC anyone?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I thought that boat, in your avatar,*was for sale, asking half a million.

Who was the builder?* Do you possess it now?

-- Edited by markpierce on Friday 7th of January 2011 12:39:39 AM

Yes, we own her now, bought her in May 2010. Builder is Seahorse marine

-- Edited by jimnche on Friday 7th of January 2011 09:35:54 PM

-- Edited by jimnche on Friday 7th of January 2011 09:36:32 PM

-- Edited by jimnche on Friday 7th of January 2011 09:36:59 PM

Looks like the Coot's big brother.

Congratulations.

jimnche wrote:

Anyone else out there with a seahorse?
Not quite yet. We have just progressed to the 3rd spot (out of 5) on the assembly line viz the s/s fabrication shed.* Anticipating delivery*will be*in June.

Interesting to a see a Portugese bridge in your picture. Any other changes you've made in your boat to previous models?

Cheers

Simon

HOOTERS is a good thang! We will change our employee recruiting effort to
reflect this.

-- Edited by Sailor of Fortune on Friday 4th of February 2011 11:00:58 AM

Jack,
When your "crew" is out on the foredeck bending over pulling anchor I want to be in the wheelhouse******* .......right there where you will be. Are they REALLY hooters?

Simon wrote:

Interesting to a see a Portugese bridge in your picture. Any other changes you've made in your boat to previous models?
Hi Simon,

We also extended the cockpit and sundeck by 2' as well as going with the dual walkway option.* More details*about our selections on the 'about kekada' pages on our web-site.

Don,
*Good to see that you have added a bit more to the cockpit on the Seahorse.
I had a really good look around the demo model at the 2009 Sanctuary Cove boat show and that would have been one of my major downs with this boat for Aus / tropical cruising.
We use our back deck all the time for entertaining and just relaxing.
I also was not overly impressed with the curved inset for the wheel but that was strictly personal.
I really think you get a lot of boat for the money.
Are you having a bit of say in the quality of the finnish and do you spend much time up in the build yard.
I bet you can't wait for completion day.
What arte your plans for bringing her down to Aus.

Benn

Hi Benn,

The Australian agent has also changed the cockpit for his next model -*vaguely similar to a Selene 59/60 - it should be ready in time for the next SCIBS.

At this stage we are not planning on bringing her back to Oz because of the Import duty and GST - that is equal to the*funds for*many years worth of cruising for us. Initially we will spend time in SE Asia before going over the top (Japan, Alaska) then down around the Horn and back up to Canada before crossing to the Med. That should keep us busy for 5-7 years at least.*

I agree about the wheel but it grows on you and these boats are incredible value for money compared to some of the others we looked at.* It hasn't hurt that the contract was written in US$'s when the exchange rate was 0.85c. I just hope it stays up until our big payment is due.*

We have been to the yard a couple of times*and go over the progress each time with a 'fine tooth comb'. The quality of work is fantastic. So far they have adopted 'the customer is right' attitude in all dealings which is very refreshing. They will go through the pro's and con's but we get the final say - sorry, that should be*the Admiral gets the final say. The s/s hadn't been completed on our boat at our last visit but what we saw on earlier boats (even a 12 year old one in HK) was the best we have seen. I would add that just*the teak on the cockpit stairs that you can see in the construction photos section of the web site took*nearly three*days to complete. All the workers seem*to take a great deal of pride in the quality of their work.*We may have indirectly benefited from the GFC in the US as sales*were down and they had to reduce the workforce. I assume they kept the best workers!*As an aside it may also be an indication that the US is finally starting to*turn around in that their work level is increasing.*

And yes, the June completion date*does seem like forever for us.

-- Edited by Navigator on Saturday 5th of February 2011 05:00:56 PM

Navigator wrote:

...*I just hope it (the exchange rate) stays up until our big payment is due.*
Ditto, although I've been making progress payments.

Hi Mark,

We negotiated a 10% upon signing, 20% hull and deck and 70% on hand-over so still have the big one to go.

Did you sign in Yuan/RMB instead of US$'s.* I thought you were based in the US but your exchange rate comment has made me curious.

Don

Hi Don,

My contract has a clause that if exchange rates have changed more than 3% at the time of payment, the builder and owner share half the difference.

I've made 1/3 for down payment, 1/3 for progress payment, and remainder when boat is complete (costs of additions to initial contract like fuel-polishing system, tank gauges, fuel-consumption-rate meter, etc. will be included in final payment).* Got some freebie electronics by making larger down payment and*progress payment.

Tried to buy one in 07, and after 200K, the broker never specd/ the boat to Seahorse, and wasn't built to our ideas, thus we cancl. Have been in court since trying to get downpayment back, but Broker believes he dosen't have to return. Nothing bad to say regarding Seahorse,,they were trying after fact, but broker was a looser.

Dusty, I've been dealing directly with the builder.* No problems yet and don't expect any.

markpierce wrote:

Dusty, I've been dealing directly with the builder.* No problems yet and don't expect any.
Dusty,

Ditto for us.*Seahorse have been great and we also benefited*from the GFC at the time of signing with respect to the final deal we were able to make. From what I saw the steel yard was not as affected by it as the fibreglass yard was. There may still be a small window of opportunity to take advantage of that but it looks to be closing rapidly.

Benn,

A shot of the cockpit of the Australian agent's next boat versus our cockpit with aft stairs.

Attachments

• 2010_10_29_0643.jpg
    2010_10_29_0643.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 300
  • sh5233_01.jpg
    sh5233_01.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 271
Glad to see younhave gone with the transom door and not the ocean access type self cleaning back deck.
I think the agents unit may have a minor problem in a big following sea.
Not my idea of a secure set up.
Benn

Hi Benn,

The photo*wasn't the best angle for the agent's boat and the Admiral has just pointed out there*are two gates on his version. If you get out the magnifying glass you can just pick out one of the hinges on the port side in the photo we posted.

Cheers, Don & Anja

Gee I'll have to apologise to him as it sure did look like a couple of open accesses.
Any how one transom door is enough.
Kekada looks like she is comming along nicely.

Had a look at the Seahorse site and the Coot 35 looks like a great buy for the money and would not be a bad proposition to drive home from China if anyone was interested.

I'll just have to stick with the woodie and hack around the Aussie coast.
I think I got enough of the rest of the world by sea at work and I am pretty sure the Boss doesn't want to spend days at sea doing ocean crossings.

Your trip sounds like a doosie.

Benn

Tidahapah wrote:
Your trip sounds like a doosie.

Benn
Yes.* I can't believe*that the Admiral has agreed to yet another one. I have been very lucky with the choice of partner and the voyages we have been able to do. Even both of our kids are still keen to join us whenever they can.

Just received announcement of Australian agents next boat being launched. Also some pics showing the cockpit. Being next in line we are now in countdown mode for our 'splash' date.

Attachments

• 2011_02_17_just launched (12).jpg
    2011_02_17_just launched (12).jpg
    164.9 KB · Views: 166
Don, the anticipation must be becoming palpable.

markpierce wrote:

Don, the anticipation must be becoming palpable.
Hi Mark,

Even tho' I have been lucky enough to do a couple of voyages when younger this will also co-incide with my retirement so will not have the 'return to work' bogey hanging over me this time. Just have to get used to living on our savings*with a greatly reduced income*until I reach pension age which is still 10+ years away for me.

Don, I've been retired for nine years but still*have recurring nightmares of returning back to work from retirement (becoming "unretired").**It is a great relief to wake up.

I'm another newbie with a Seahorse. Purchased in Dec 2010,* Any issues you care to share would be appreciated.

Mike

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom