Interesting boats

The friendliest place on the web for anyone who enjoys boating.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Greenline

First one of these Greenline hybrids I've seen in the flesh, docked next to us. Not a bad looking boat, IMHO. And, according to the company website, she has a superdisplacement hull! None of this wimpy semidisplacement stuff.

greenline1.jpg

greenline2.jpg

Greetings,
What the hell is a super displacement hull? Some sort of advertising jargon? I briefly looked over the site and saw nothing groundbreaking but I do like the looks.

I believe a superdisplacement hull is one that has sunk to the bottom.

Good guess Marin... but maybe, just maybe... no matter what power is applied, super displacement simply means cannot exceed 4 knots - Max!

QB,
I'm flattered by your coment but I have little to add.
It could be a hull similar to a 21' boat called Handy Billy. It has a shallow rockered hull aft that is FD at rest and FD speeds but because of angle of attack change at higher speeds ... as the boat squats assuming a bow high (to some degree) attitude and essentially changes the hull to SD or SP. The Handy Billy has a lot of deadrise and is probably soft riding. I like that boat a lot.

Super displacement? Wouldn't that be between Ultra-Displacement and Mega-Displacement?

At the Seattle Boat Show a year or so ago, I spent about an hour talking to the guy from Greenline and I ended up not so impressed. When I read the materials, I think some of it is just pure T BS. I spent almost three years looking at hybrid designs with the thought of a custom build. I spent a lot of time with Siemens' engineers on a system and a lot of time with Bill Crealock before his death on the design issues. Greenline claims running costs 10X less than a diesel boat, without explaining that they really mean while running in electric mode only. The only problem with that is that their battery bank is 12KWh, and the electric motor eats a minimum of 7KWh. So, about 90 minutes or so running on battery power alone. And that is with absolutely no power load from the house side of the equation. They also claim that the "hybrid system" is completely maintenance free. The sales guy finally admitted to me that there was no substantial fuel savings running on the diesel. We all own boats, we all know there is nothing on a boat that is maintenance free! It was nice boat but I just did not see the advantages of the system or the cost premium for it. I have always thought it was just an attempt to capitalize on the "eco" thing.

For Power Boating:

It's just physics baby!

Power in / power out... with standard loss factors... and, in the realm of boating, substantially added frictional power drains.

Reason there has not been some grand and glorious "super-efficient" breakthrough for electric boats is because of the hold backs automatically encountered by the laws of physics.

Until there is a power source discovered that beats the available efficiencies of multi gallons hydrocarbon fuel aboard a boat there will continue to be hydrocarbon combustion engines (in one form or another) supplying the base power that enables long distance, ongoing runs of boat hulls through water.

Happy Power-Boating Daze! - Art :speed boat:

Greetings,
Mr. A. But, but...THIS one has a superdisplacement hull. Protected even... AND a protected hybrid propulsion system...

It's just a real SD hull.
Look at the inbd buttock lines. Fairly steep. This boat won't plane like some trawlers if given enough power. And there's little submerged transom to drag through the water causing lots of turbulence astern and the drag that goes w it. This "Super Displacement" hull has some real abilities at going slow but it goes much better at speeds well above FD and well below planing. What a SD hull should be but there's nothing illegitimate about a SD hull close to planing or close to FD. The thing that's "super" about this hull is that it's optimized for 10 to 16 knots depending on hull length. And speaking of hull length this one has maximized WLL.

So no ... it's not a Superdisplacement hull.
It's a super SD hull. One that actually is. One could say "a propper SD hull".

Last edited:
And there's little submerged transom to drag through the water causing lots of turbulence astern and the drag that goes w it.

I understand what Eric is talking about...next time you're ripping along at 6 or 7 knots try filling a bucket from over the side of your SD vessel, then compare that with filling it off the stern or back of the swim grid.

I was surprised at how much water was being dragged along at pretty much the same speed as our boat...the water was turbulent, but it was like dipping the bucket in a hot tub with the jets on.

METRO department stores in Europe, and Trader's Joe in the U.S.
So that's where some of my Trader Joes money is going?

I need to meet that widow. Perhaps I can get her to fund a couple pet projects of mine :thumb:

I understand what Eric is talking about...next time you're ripping along at 6 or 7 knots try filling a bucket from over the side of your SD vessel, then compare that with filling it off the stern or back of the swim grid.

I was surprised at how much water was being dragged along at pretty much the same speed as our boat...the water was turbulent, but it was like dipping the bucket in a hot tub with the jets on.

That's the operative word there Murray .. DRAGGED along. On some transom boats the water froth next to the transom is actually moving fwd. What force made the water go bass-akwards?

Greetings,
"Look at the inbd buttock lines." Hmmmm....

1835-fat-ass.jpg

You're not fooling anyone with that common American example of a keel-less Mondo-Displacement, RT. The added outer sponsons are obvious.:eek:

Those soft chines make for a nice smooth rolling motion. :lol:

Wide beams are usually fairly stable. Imagine it's a little challenging fitting that in a slip though.

Ted

I nominate the designer of that folding chair for a Nobel Prize in engineering, if that exists.

The Admiral would like the ship because he broke the conventional mold as CNO. Hopefully once they are commissioned they will prove there worth.
BZ Admiral Zumwalt where ever your at.

Wide beams are usually fairly stable. Imagine it's a little challenging fitting that in a slip though.

Ted

I would rather try to get her into a slip than out of one!

:socool:

HOLLYWOOD

Back
Top Bottom